Dake Bible Discussion BoardFor those who think Dake believed in Tri-theism

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
bibleman
Administrator

For those who think Dake believed in Tri-theism

Post by bibleman »

Tri-theism is a word that some critics have used toward Dake’s understanding of the trinity. But nothing could be father from the truth. In it’s most simple sense, tri-theism is the belief in polytheism or the belief that there is more than one God. This is something Dake did not believe and never taught.

“Henry C. Thiessen” gives an excellent discourse on Tri-theism in which he defines Tri-theism as well as it’s opposite extreme, Modalism.

“The doctrine of the trinity must be distinguished from both Tri-theism and Sabellianism. Tri-theism denies the unity of the essence of God and holds to three distinct Gods. The only unity that it recognizes is the unity of purpose and endeavor. God is a unity of essence as well as of purpose and endeavor. The three persons are consubstantial. Sabellianism held to a trinity of revelation, but not of nature. It taught that God, as Father, is the creator and lawgiver; as Son, is the same God incarnate who fulfills the office of redeemer; and as Holy Spirit, is the same God in the work of regeneration and sanctification. In other words, Sabellianism taught a modal trinity as distinguished from an ontological trinity. Modalism speaks of a threefold nature of God, in the same sense in which a man may be an artist, a teacher, and a friend, or as one may be a father, a son, and a brother. But this is in reality a denial of the doctrine of the trinity for these are not three distinctions in the essence, but three qualities or relationships in one and the same person.”

Notice Tri-theism denies the unity of the essence of God and holds to three distinct Gods. It recognizes a unity of purpose and endeavor, but not a unity of essence. As we have seen, Dake recognizes a unity of essence which Tri-theism denies.

“TRINITY. This means the union of three persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in one (unified) Godhead or divinity - so that all three persons are one in unity and eternal substance, but three separate and distinct persons as to individuality (1 John 5:7-8; Daniel 7:9-14; Matthew 3:16-17; 28:19; Acts 7:56-59).”
Dake Does Not Teach Tri-theism

Tri-theism has to do with three separate gods, who are unrelated. Dake does not teach this. Dake teaches three separate “persons” in the one “substance” of the Godhead. This is completely orthodox. Nowhere in the Dake’s writings will we find him saying that there are “three gods.” It is simply not there.

Theologian Milliard Erickson tells us: “Monotheism is deeply implanted in the Hebrew Christian tradition. God is one, not several. The unity of God may be compared to the unity of husband and wife, but we must keep in mind that we are dealing with one God, not a joining of separate entities. God is three persons at every moment of time.” We find Dake in complete agreement with this quote.

Dake’s definition of the trinity speaks both to the threeness and the oneness of God. In fact since Dake declares that the Godhead is one in “unity and eternal substance,” no claim of tri-theism could possible be made, or as Ryrie puts it: ““the phrase the same in substance (or perhaps better, essence) protects against tri-theism.”

Combating The Jesus Only Movement

Early in Dake’s life and in his movement there was a strong teaching going around concerning the “Jesus Only” teaching or what later became known as the “Oneness” movement. In his writings, Dake stressed the threeness of God in an effort to combat the fallacies of the “Oneness” movement. Some have taken this emphasis on the threeness of God to mean that Dake leaned over on the side of Sabellianism or Tri-theism. As we have seen above this is not the case. Another citation from God’s Plan for Man makes this even more clear. In regard to the plural name of God, Elohim, Dake writes: “The one Elohim then is not one person, or one in number, but one in unity. Elohim is not a divided Deity, but three persons in one God, or one Deity.” Take note, Dake says that Elohim is not a divided Deity, but three persons in one God, or one Deity.

After examining the facts, we see that Dake was not a Tri-theist nor did he believe in separating the Divine essence or substance. For Dake the choice was a Biblical one: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:” Deuteronomy 6:4.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: For those who think Dake believed in Tri-theism

Post by branham1965 »

Thank you Pastor Bible. :angel: :angel:

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

bibleman wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 am
Tri-theism is a word that some critics have used toward Dake’s understanding of the trinity. But nothing could be father from the truth. In it’s most simple sense, tri-theism is the belief in polytheism or the belief that there is more than one God. This is something Dake did not believe and never taught.

“Henry C. Thiessen” gives an excellent discourse on Tri-theism in which he defines Tri-theism as well as it’s opposite extreme, Modalism.

“The doctrine of the trinity must be distinguished from both Tri-theism and Sabellianism. Tri-theism denies the unity of the essence of God and holds to three distinct Gods. The only unity that it recognizes is the unity of purpose and endeavor. God is a unity of essence as well as of purpose and endeavor. The three persons are consubstantial. Sabellianism held to a trinity of revelation, but not of nature. It taught that God, as Father, is the creator and lawgiver; as Son, is the same God incarnate who fulfills the office of redeemer; and as Holy Spirit, is the same God in the work of regeneration and sanctification. In other words, Sabellianism taught a modal trinity as distinguished from an ontological trinity. Modalism speaks of a threefold nature of God, in the same sense in which a man may be an artist, a teacher, and a friend, or as one may be a father, a son, and a brother. But this is in reality a denial of the doctrine of the trinity for these are not three distinctions in the essence, but three qualities or relationships in one and the same person.”

Notice Tri-theism denies the unity of the essence of God and holds to three distinct Gods. It recognizes a unity of purpose and endeavor, but not a unity of essence. As we have seen, Dake recognizes a unity of essence which Tri-theism denies.

“TRINITY. This means the union of three persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in one (unified) Godhead or divinity - so that all three persons are one in unity and eternal substance, but three separate and distinct persons as to individuality (1 John 5:7-8; Daniel 7:9-14; Matthew 3:16-17; 28:19; Acts 7:56-59).”

Tri-theism has to do with three separate gods, who are unrelated. Dake does not teach this. Dake teaches three separate “persons” in the one “substance” of the Godhead. This is completely orthodox. Nowhere in the Dake’s writings will we find him saying that there are “three gods.” It is simply not there.

Theologian Milliard Erickson tells us: “Monotheism is deeply implanted in the Hebrew Christian tradition. God is one, not several. The unity of God may be compared to the unity of husband and wife, but we must keep in mind that we are dealing with one God, not a joining of separate entities. God is three persons at every moment of time.” We find Dake in complete agreement with this quote.

Dake’s definition of the trinity speaks both to the threeness and the oneness of God. In fact since Dake declares that the Godhead is one in “unity and eternal substance,” no claim of tri-theism could possible be made, or as Ryrie puts it: ““the phrase the same in substance (or perhaps better, essence) protects against tri-theism.”

Early in Dake’s life and in his movement there was a strong teaching going around concerning the “Jesus Only” teaching or what later became known as the “Oneness” movement. In his writings, Dake stressed the threeness of God in an effort to combat the fallacies of the “Oneness” movement. Some have taken this emphasis on the threeness of God to mean that Dake leaned over on the side of Sabellianism or Tri-theism. As we have seen above this is not the case. Another citation from God’s Plan for Man makes this even more clear. In regard to the plural name of God, Elohim, Dake writes: “The one Elohim then is not one person, or one in number, but one in unity. Elohim is not a divided Deity, but three persons in one God, or one Deity.” Take note, Dake says that Elohim is not a divided Deity, but three persons in one God, or one Deity.

After examining the facts, we see that Dake was not a Tri-theist nor did he believe in separating the Divine essence or substance. For Dake the choice was a Biblical one: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:” Deuteronomy 6:4.
Great post. I agree that Dake did not teach tri-theism. Scripture (at least the records we have), only record and mention three in the Godhead, but fact is none of us know if it is more than that because the terms used are plurality.

Can you imagine if one day we find out the Godhead is a larger number than what we thought and expands across the infinite government of God? The expanse of that is WAAAYYYYY too much for my little pea brain, but it is kind of exciting!

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

luchnia wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 pm
bibleman wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:50 am

Great post. I agree that Dake did not teach tri-theism. Scripture (at least the records we have), only record and mention three in the Godhead, but fact is none of us know if it is more than that because the terms used are plurality.

Can you imagine if one day we find out the Godhead is a larger number than what we thought and expands across the infinite government of God? The expanse of that is WAAAYYYYY too much for my little pea brain, but it is kind of exciting!
I have often thought about that... with the pea brain I have as well.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

No offence meant here.

I do not believe God is any more than what He revealed He is in the Bible.

God the Father ,God the Son - the Lord Jesus Christ and God the Holy Ghost 1 John 5:7;Matthew 28:18-20,2 Corinthians 13:14.

Reverend Dake said on a recording on youtube... " No no one can go beyond what is written in the Bible...don't you let that little inquisitive mind get the better of you.."
He told an anonymous questioner ....don't be a baby all of your life... " you can have all the eternal security you want if you are just as persuaded as Paul was...you have to behave yourself...but you are not going to live a life of sin and get by..the Lord will help you if you give half a try ...now don't you get mad at me ...i will see you in the judgement...

He was all man.I never saw a chest like his.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

branham1965 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm
No offence meant here.

God the Father ,God the Son - the Lord Jesus Christ and God the Holy Ghost 1 John 5:7;Matthew 28:18-20,2 Corinthians 13:14.

Reverend Dake said on a recording on youtube... " No no one can go beyond what is written in the Bible...don't you let that little inquisitive mind get the better of you.."
He told an anonymous questioner ....don't be a baby all of your life... " you can have all the eternal security you want if you are just as persuaded as Paul was...you have to behave yourself...but you are not going to live a life of sin and get by..the Lord will help you if you give half a try ...now don't you get mad at me ...i will see you in the judgement...

I can't find "God the Son" or "God the Holy Ghost" in the bible?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

From your posts i think you are a Oneness believer.
You do not believe in the Trinity is that right??
Hill Top wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:54 pm
branham1965 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm
No offence meant here.

I can't find "God the Son" or "God the Holy Ghost" in the bible?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

branham1965 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm
For the sole reason that a false religion came up with the term "trinity", I can't believe it.
I believe in the Word, and that He was "with God and that He was God".
I believe the Word was manifested in the flesh, as Jesus Christ.
I believe that God is a spirit, and that the Holy Ghost emanates from Him.

That's four manifestations of God.
The Word
The Father
Spirit
Holy Ghost

We also know that "God is light", and "He is a consuming fire".

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

The Word is JESUS CHRIST John 1:1.

The Holy Spirit is HE John 14-16 and is the same as the Holy Ghost in the KJV.

THE SON JESUS DELIVERS THE KINGDOM TO THE FATHER IN 1 CORINTHIANS 15:24-28.

God is a Divine Trinity of the Father,the Son and the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:18-20
Please see page 280 notes on 1 John in the Dake Bible.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm
branham1965 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm
For the sole reason that a false religion came up with the term "trinity", I can't believe it.
I believe in the Word, and that He was "with God and that He was God".
I believe the Word was manifested in the flesh, as Jesus Christ.
I believe that God is a spirit, and that the Holy Ghost emanates from Him.

That's four manifestations of God.
The Word
The Father
Spirit
Holy Ghost

We also know that "God is light", and "He is a consuming fire".

From the Dake Bible and God's Plan for Man.

The word Godhead is mentioned three times in Scripture.
Act 17:29, Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Rom 1:20, For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Col 2:9, For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

What does this Scripture teach?

1 John 5:8, And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

1. The Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus at His water baptism. Jesus standing in the water, the Holy Spirit, a separate and distinct being descending upon Jesus in the form of a dove. (Matt.3:13-17).

2. Water baptism symbolizing His own death, burial, and resurrection (Matt. 3:13-17). Water of the Word bearing witness to the incarnation (Isa. 7:14; 9:6-7; Matt. 1:23; Luke 1:34-35). Water and blood at the crucifiction testifying of His humanity (John 19:34).

3. The blood testifying not only the humanity and sonship of Jesus Christ, but guaranteeing redemption from sin (Matt. 26:28; Acts 20:28; Eph. 1:14; Col. 1:20-22; Heb. 9:14-26; 10:1-23; 1 John 1:7).

What is meant by the Godhead is that there are three separate and distinct persons in the Godhead, each one having His own personal spirit body, personal soul, and personal spirit in the same sense each human being, angel, or other beings has his own body, soul, and spirit. We mean by body, whether a spirit body or a flesh and bone body, the house for the indwelling of the personal soul and spirit. The soul is that which feels and the spirit is that which knows.

The doctrine of the Godhead can be seen being understood by the visible things that are made, even to His eternal power and Godhead (Romans 1:20).

What on this earth was created in the image and likeness of God?

Man, (Gen. 1:26-28). Do God's image and likeness consist only of moral and spiritual powers? If so, it can be concluded that man is only a moral and spiritual being.

Is God bodiless? If so we can conclude that man is also bodiless.

Is God only one being made up of several persons or beings in the one being? If so, we can conclude that man is one person or being made up of many.

Does God need a flesh and bone body in order to have any kind of body?

No! there are such things as spirit and heavenly bodies, see 1 Cor. 15:35-38. From these passages we learn that all things in creation, grain, fish, birds, beasts, man, angels, and even planets have bodies, sizes, shapes, and forms.

The Bible declares that God has a body, shape, image, likeness, bodily parts, a personal soul and spirit, andall other things that constitute a being or a person with a body, soul, and a spirit.

Angels, cherubim, seraphim, and all other spirit beings have spirit bodies and personal souls and spirits. They have been see with the natural eyes of men (Eg. Heb. 13:2), over 100 times in Scripture. If all other spirit beings have spirit bodies, could not members of the Godhead also have spirit bodies?

The 284 passages on Spirits in Scripture prove that spirit bodies are just a real and capable of operation in the natural worlds as are flesh and bone beings. There is no such thing as a world of creations made up of invisible substance. The so called spirit world must be understood simply as spirit beings inhabiting material worlds created by God. Heaven itself is a material creation, created by God, (Gen. 1;1; Heb. 11:10-16)., having cities, mansions, furniture, inhabitants, living conditions etc.

God has bee seen bodily by human eyes many times, (Gen. 18:1-33; 19:24; 32:24-30; Ex. 24:11; 33:11-33; Josh. 5:13-15; Judges 6:11-23; 13:3-25; Chr. 21:16-17; Job. 42:5; Isa. 6: Ez. 1:26-28; 10:1, 20; 40:3; Dan. 7:9-14; 10:5-10; Acts 7:56-59; Rev. 4:2-5; 5:1, 5-7, 14:6:16; 7:9-17; 19:4; 21:3-5; 22:4).

In over 20,000 references about God in Scripture we get to know all we need to know about the subject. If we will take the Bible literally as to what I says abput Him, aw we do with other things the subject will bw very clear; but if we make God a mystery, ignore the plain statements of Scripture about Him, and refuse to believe the many descriptions of God given by those who have seen one, two, and three separate persons called "God," then we will remain in ignorance.

It is true, there are a few figurative statements about God in Scripture, as there are about man and other things, but shall we do away with the reality of man because of these few figures of speech?

Let us make man mere salt and lights (Matt. 5:13-14, "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. V. 14, Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid."), if we are going to do away with God because of a few figures of speech.

The word "ONE" means one in unity as well as one in number. It means "Unity" in John 5:7, as it does in John 17:11; 21-23, and yet these three persons, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, are spoken of as one each in number and individuality in Scripture. There is One God the Father, One Lord Jesus Christ, and One Holy Ghost (1 Cor. 8:6; Eph. 4:3-6). Thus there are three separate persons in divine individuality and divine plurality. The Father is called God (1 Cor. 8:6), the Son is called God (Isa. 9:6-7; Heb. 1:8; John 1:1-2; 20:28), and the Holy Spirit is called God (Acts 5:3-4). As individual persons each can be called God and collectively they can be spoken of as one God because of their perfect unity. The word God is used either as a singular or plural word, like SHEEP>

Everything that could be spoken of God collectively applies equally to each member of the Godhead as an individual but there are some things that are said of each person of the Deity as to position, office, and work that could be spoken as of the other members of the Godhead. The Father is the head of Christ (1 Cor. 11:3); the Son is the only begotten of the Father (2 John 3), and the Holy Ghost proceeds from both the Father and the Son (John 14:16, 26; 15:26; 16:7-15; Acts 2:34).

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?