Dake Bible Discussion BoardHolidays or not?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Re: Holidays or not?

Post by Ironman »

branham1965 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:01 pm
That has nothing to do with Christmas trees.
G-Day my mate. Not having a go at you just saying is as I believe. Jesus was not born on Dec. 25, Christmas day. In fact I don't think there is any mention of Christs birthday in the Bible and the apostles and others never celebrated it?

Jesus’ parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4). Such censuses were not taken in winter, when temperatures often dropped below freezing and roads were in poor condition. Taking a census under such conditions would have been self-defeating.
Given the difficulties and the desire to bring pagans into Christianity, the fixing of the date as December 25th was a compromise with paganism” (William Walsh, The Story of Santa Klaus , 1970, p. 62). Although it is difficult to determine the first time anyone celebrated December 25 as Christmas Day, historians are in general agreement that it was sometime during the fourth century. This is an amazingly late date. Christmas was not observed in Rome, the capital of the Roman Empire, until about 300 years after Christ’s death. Its origins cannot be traced back to either the teachings or practices of the earliest Christians.

This is about easter, another pagan celebration.
Easter, Greek, pascha, the Passover, as correctly translated in 28 other places (Matt. 26:2-19; mark 14:1-16; Luke 2:41; 22:1-15; John 2:13, 23. 6:4; 11:55; 12:1; 13:1; 18:28, 39; 19:14; 1 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 11:28).

This is an unfortunate and absurd translation, as Easter was a pagan festival observed long before Christ. It is not a Christian name, but is derived from Ishtar, one of Babylonian titles of an idol goddess, the queen of heaven. The Saxon goddess Eastre is the same as the Astarte, the Syrian Venus, called Ashtoreth in the O.T. It was the worship of this woman by Israel that was such an abomination to God (1 Sam. 7:3; 1 Kings 11:5, 33; 2 Kings 23:13; Jer. 7:18; 44:18). Round cakes, imprinted with the sign of the cross were made at this festival, the sign being, in the Babylonian mysteries, a sign of life.
Easter eggs which played a great part in this days celebration were common in all heathen nations. The fable of the egg declares that "an egg of wondrous size fell from heaven into the river Euphrates; the fish rolled it to the bank, where doves settled upon it and hatched it; and out came Astarte, or Ishtar, the goddess of Easter."
Easter, Christmas, Lady Day, Lent, and other Babylonian festivals were all borrowed from this religion and were all observed centuries before Christ. None of them have any relationship to Christ or Christianity.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

branham1965 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:19 pm
How is the CELEBRATION OF THE BIRTH OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AT CHRISTMAS OR RESURRECTION OF THE SON OF GOD AT EASTER OR THANKSGIVING OF THE WORLD???
This world has celebrated everything BUT God in their holidays.
Show me Christmas trees or Easter eggs in the bible.
EVERY ANOINTED GOD CALLED GOD USED MINISTRY I HAVE EVER KNOW CELEBRATES THEM.
Were your anointed ministries filled with men who didn't committed sin?
Or were they full of men of this world?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:12 pm
Maybe not the best comparison, but do you remember when Paul spoke about a vegetarian and how you are to treat such a one? I disagree with having a completely vegetarian diet, but I respect a person's right to be a vegetarian. The point is not to offend a brother or sister with our freedom.
Would not a real pastor/bishop show the veg' that there is nothing wrong with eating meat?
If the veg' then condemned the carnivore, he would be asked to leave...as he had ignored the pastor's teaching.
Why should the veg' feel offended unless he was of the devil?
There was no biblical reason for him to be offended.
BTW, do you think the world's polluted holidays are evil, or do you simply consider them as chaff and not worthwhile? Also do you think because a person practices such things that makes the person evil?
The world's polluted holidays are evil, as they are from the minds of evil people.
The people who celebrate worldly holidays are worldly and not Spiritual.
They are evil.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

branham1965 wrote:
Maybe not, but it had everything to do with the ways of the heathen.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

Thanks for keeping the discussion civil and some great points have been posted. Having spent many years studying I think I have gained much information on this subject, yet taking a straight baseline on these subjects can be challenging. I cannot help but think if one celebrates any man made holiday why not the rest of them? Why justify one over the other as somehow "of God"?

What I have found over the years is that if I question an individual on say easter or christmas, I get the justification of why it is right for them to practice that holiday. If I say to them, why don't you practice all saints day (all hallows day)? they will say that is not the same. I ask how is that not the same? This is where it seems hypocritical or a double-standard. A man will say one is right, but not the other. Are not both considered "christian" celebrations?

Now as far as a person celebrating these being evil, I think that is the wrong call to make. It is like saying because one who believes OSAS is evil. Ignorance does not make a man evil. He is simply ignorant. I know people that simply do not know that these man-made holidays were not ordained of God and believe them to be a godly practice.

I would certainly maintain that there is no profit in the practices much like many things people do that are man devised - basically chaff in my opinion. We know there is no biblical mandate to practice them. I am sure to the person that does them, to them they are not chaff. I do think it is wrong to make a brother or sister to offend over the practice much like Paul would not make a brother to offend over Paul's liberty to eat meat.

It is better to grow in the knowledge of truth from God's word and let the Word work in the person to bring wisdom about these things.

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:41 pm
The world's polluted holidays are evil, as they are from the minds of evil people.
How so? In what sense do you think the holidays are evil, or is it certain holidays you consider from evil and other ok?

I am curious as I believe it to be more a matter of ignorance from those that start such things. Much like Martin Luther King, presidents, new years day, and so on, in my opinion they are about as ignorant a reason for holidays as one can get, yet what makes them evil? Is it simply because a man came up with it and got others to buy into it?

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I checked out Bible Handbooks of every kind and 10 study Bibles.

This has to do with Christmas trees.

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

branham1965 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:26 am
I checked out Bible Handbooks of every kind and 10 study Bibles.

This has to do with Christmas trees.
I think christmas is practiced in many cultures and I am sure there are some that practice without the trees, so one could remove trees from the practice and still be practicing christmas. Hope that makes sense.

I watched a show one time that traveled all over the world and reviewed christmas practices and I could not believe all the different ways that christmas was practiced and some were very bizarre practices. There were some that I even question whether they were christian I think the tree is small concern when it comes to the overall practice of the holiday.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

They were /are real.

Reverend Dake was one.And he did not believe like you.

Hill Top wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:29 pm
branham1965 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:19 pm
How is the CELEBRATION OF THE BIRTH OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AT CHRISTMAS OR RESURRECTION OF THE SON OF GOD AT EASTER OR THANKSGIVING OF THE WORLD???
This world has celebrated everything BUT God in their holidays.
Show me Christmas trees or Easter eggs in the bible.
EVERY ANOINTED GOD CALLED GOD USED MINISTRY I HAVE EVER KNOW CELEBRATES THEM.
Were your anointed ministries filled with men who didn't committed sin?
Or were they full of men of this world?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

I understand Haz.I think Christian liberty enters in here.

I won't badger folks if they do not celebrate the holidays as mr.frenchie of Canada mentioned.

But i do celebrate them and will continue to do so.

Ironman wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:51 pm
branham1965 wrote:
G-Day my mate. Not having a go at you just saying is as I believe. Jesus was not born on Dec. 25, Christmas day. In fact I don't think there is any mention of Christs birthday in the Bible and the apostles and others never celebrated it?

Jesus’ parents came to Bethlehem to register in a Roman census (Luke 2:1-4). Such censuses were not taken in winter, when temperatures often dropped below freezing and roads were in poor condition. Taking a census under such conditions would have been self-defeating.
Given the difficulties and the desire to bring pagans into Christianity, the fixing of the date as December 25th was a compromise with paganism” (William Walsh, The Story of Santa Klaus , 1970, p. 62). Although it is difficult to determine the first time anyone celebrated December 25 as Christmas Day, historians are in general agreement that it was sometime during the fourth century. This is an amazingly late date. Christmas was not observed in Rome, the capital of the Roman Empire, until about 300 years after Christ’s death. Its origins cannot be traced back to either the teachings or practices of the earliest Christians.

This is about easter, another pagan celebration.
Easter, Greek, pascha, the Passover, as correctly translated in 28 other places (Matt. 26:2-19; mark 14:1-16; Luke 2:41; 22:1-15; John 2:13, 23. 6:4; 11:55; 12:1; 13:1; 18:28, 39; 19:14; 1 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 11:28).

This is an unfortunate and absurd translation, as Easter was a pagan festival observed long before Christ. It is not a Christian name, but is derived from Ishtar, one of Babylonian titles of an idol goddess, the queen of heaven. The Saxon goddess Eastre is the same as the Astarte, the Syrian Venus, called Ashtoreth in the O.T. It was the worship of this woman by Israel that was such an abomination to God (1 Sam. 7:3; 1 Kings 11:5, 33; 2 Kings 23:13; Jer. 7:18; 44:18). Round cakes, imprinted with the sign of the cross were made at this festival, the sign being, in the Babylonian mysteries, a sign of life.
Easter eggs which played a great part in this days celebration were common in all heathen nations. The fable of the egg declares that "an egg of wondrous size fell from heaven into the river Euphrates; the fish rolled it to the bank, where doves settled upon it and hatched it; and out came Astarte, or Ishtar, the goddess of Easter."
Easter, Christmas, Lady Day, Lent, and other Babylonian festivals were all borrowed from this religion and were all observed centuries before Christ. None of them have any relationship to Christ or Christianity.