Dake Bible Discussion BoardHolidays or not?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Holidays or not?

Post by luchnia »

There are a number of different views held about man's holidays, such as christmas, thanksgiving, easter, and so on. Some think these holidays are christian celebrations and some do not.

I think I read somewhere in Dake's notes, or heard in his lectures, that he thought they were neither good or bad really, but in reality there was really no profit in them for men. In other words, they are simply something that is neither here no there. Maybe I misunderstand his thoughts on the holidays, but I gather he was implying that it was really up to man whether to do them or not and respect others.

We understand the holidays, like many things, are man's creations and not God's, yet some people are very strict in observance and to go as far as to believe them to be God ordained to the letter. I strongly disagree with the view that they are God ordained, but I respect a man's right to partake if he wish. This time of year when holidays are being celebrated it can bring out some strong sensitivity when discussing the roots of holidays. One could say it brings out the worst of people.

I have often found it interesting that men will only celebrate certain man made holidays and traditions and not the others. They will point out that other traditions are not of God. Why is that? Why not celebrate all man's holidays and traditions and not leave off any? Believers will go for christmas, easter, thanksgiving, but won't celebrate others saying the others are wrong to celebrate.

If men make a doctrine today, how is it any different than one that was made before? Why not partake of all if you partake of one? What makes you choose one holiday such as easter, over the other holidays? Doesn't this make a double-standard for the christian to pick and choose in this manner?

The typical explanation is, "Oh, I do it for the right reason," or "its all about Jesus," but that can be said for any holiday. Aren't a lot of catholic church celebrations all about Jesus? I can justify anything, but that does not make it right to do so.

Word up!

frenchie
Wrestle Against Principalities

Re: Holidays or not?

Post by frenchie »

Hi!
This would be my take about this:

Romans 14:5-13 (KJV)
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

In my view there is NOTHING wrong whatsoever with celebrating the holidays.

The best most ANOINTED people i know celebrate them. :|

And those in the Christ denying cults and even some aberrant 'Christian' groups oppose them.

These kind of holiday haters usually win very few souls ,help very few of the poor ,give little or nothing to missions or the persecuted Church.

These kind steal other men's sheep and have no personal anointing or signs and wonders.

Yes i believe in celebrating holidays. +tday2 +tday +manger +cross

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Christmas and Easter, according to scripture are pagan holydays.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

There is not a single verse in the Bible saying that. No offence meant here.

The old buzz saw Herbert W.Armstrong taught with his silver tongued son Garner Ted they both rambled on about how Christmas was pagan and Easter as well.

they both denied the deity of Jesus Christ!!!!!

We strain at gnats and eat camels.

The Jehovah Witnesses hate Christmas and the Christ of that celebration.AND these folks deny Jesus ever rose from the dead bodily.

Many cults and aberrant neo Christian groups oppose Christmas ,Easter,Thanksgiving,saying the all powerful Name of Jesus instead they say Yashua or ??

NONE of them win souls or have the anointing of the Good Holy Ghost and have the signs following their ministries.In fact many of these spiritual derelicts say the Holy Ghost and healing's and miracles are of the devil!!!

The Church of the Lord Jesus Christ has liberty not bondage.

The Scriptures never forbid the worship of Jesus Christ.Never.

When some religious folks tell me i cannot worship and celebrate Christmas or Easter = Resurrection Sunday i try to agree to disagree.

Then i continue to celebrate Christmas and Resurrection Sunday as i have my whole life.

+manger +cross +dove +peace JESUS CHRIST IS LORD
Ironman wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:23 pm
Christmas and Easter, according to scripture are pagan holydays.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:07 am
We understand the holidays, like many things, are man's creations and not God's, yet some people are very strict in observance and to go as far as to believe them to be God ordained to the letter. I strongly disagree with the view that they are God ordained, but I respect a man's right to partake if he wish.
That is double-talk.
How can you "respect a man's right to partake" in something you "strongly disagree" is "God ordained"?

Christians are not of "this" world, and should have nothing to do with the world's polluted holidays.
Personally, I celebrate the birth and the resurrection of Jesus Christ every day.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

How is the CELEBRATION OF THE BIRTH OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AT CHRISTMAS OR RESURRECTION OF THE SON OF GOD AT EASTER OR THANKSGIVING OF THE WORLD???

EVERY ANOINTED GOD CALLED GOD USED MINISTRY I HAVE EVER KNOW CELEBRATES THEM.

And the no anointing,most critical,least used Ichabod Churches and Ministries reject the Holidays.

+ummm +gotit

My Church up north used to go to the malls and sing carols and pass out tracts and share our testimonies etc.

The critics criticized and did nothing for the Kingdom.
Hill Top wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:50 pm
luchnia wrote:
We understand the holidays, like many things, are man's creations and not God's, yet some people are very strict in observance and to go as far as to believe them to be God ordained to the letter. I strongly disagree with the view that they are God ordained, but I respect a man's right to partake if he wish.
That is double-talk.
How can you "respect a man's right to partake" in something you "strongly disagree" is "God ordained"?

Christians are not of "this" world, and should have nothing to do with the world's polluted holidays.
Personally, I celebrate the birth and the resurrection of Jesus Christ every day.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:50 pm
luchnia wrote:
That is double-talk.

Maybe not the best comparison, but do you remember when Paul spoke about a vegetarian and how you are to treat such a one? I disagree with having a completely vegetarian diet, but I respect a person's right to be a vegetarian. The point is not to offend a brother or sister with our freedom.

BTW, do you think the world's polluted holidays are evil, or do you simply consider them as chaff and not worthwhile? Also do you think because a person practices such things that makes the person evil?

Word up!

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Jer. 10:1-4;
1, Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
2, Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3, For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
4, They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

That has nothing to do with Christmas trees.