Dake Bible Discussion BoardUnto what then were ye baptized

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Post Reply
User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 pm
You may not have noticed, but my position is not built on Psalm 58, alone.
I don't remember you using any other scrips' to make your point.
I did. You're welcome to go back and check, if you'd like.


2 Thessalonians 2:10b-12 King James Version
... because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved... GOD SHALL SEND THEM STRONG DELUSION, that they should believe a lie: THAT THEY ALL MIGHT BE DAMNED who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 pm
What do you believe is the correct interpretation of Psalm 58?
It is pretty self-explanatory...
David is fed up with the wicked and calls for God's judgement on such.
He then reassures the righteous of a just outcome for those who love God above all else.
OT ire for those Jesus now tells us to pray for.
I don't think you'll actually find Jesus telling us to pray for those that the man after God's own heart prayed against. I believe Jesus is the same now as He was then.

Even Paul, in the New Testament, was not opposed to turning folks over to Satan.


2 Thessalonians 2:10b-12 King James Version
... because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved... GOD SHALL SEND THEM STRONG DELUSION, that they should believe a lie: THAT THEY ALL MIGHT BE DAMNED who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:55 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:50 pm
God is the judge in such matters.

If you don't support the death penalty for those who perform abortions and those that procure them, then in my view, you definitely tolerate abortions. You may not see it that way, but that's how I see it.
God is the judge, but He is the one who will declare their punishment too.
Not us.
Isn't it a sin for us to disagree with His judgment in these matters? And, to fail to pray in line with His revealed will in such matters?


2 Thessalonians 2:10b-12 King James Version
... because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved... GOD SHALL SEND THEM STRONG DELUSION, that they should believe a lie: THAT THEY ALL MIGHT BE DAMNED who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 pm
I disagree. Coveting is an act of the will.
I suppose we could say that covetousness is a sin that may lead to other sin.
Oh, covetousness is most definitely a sin. Even if it never leads to other sin.


2 Thessalonians 2:10b-12 King James Version
... because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved... GOD SHALL SEND THEM STRONG DELUSION, that they should believe a lie: THAT THEY ALL MIGHT BE DAMNED who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:08 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 pm
Here's one:
Ephesians 2:1-3 King James Version
And you hath He quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were BY NATURE THE CHILDREN OF WRATH, even as others.
I don't see how this proves that "sin is the spirit and nature of the devil".
Sinfulness, perhaps, but not sin.
Do you not see the prince of the power of the air as the devil? And, that it is his spirit that works in his children causing them to disobey God? And, all of this is by nature, not just a choice?


2 Thessalonians 2:10b-12 King James Version
... because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved... GOD SHALL SEND THEM STRONG DELUSION, that they should believe a lie: THAT THEY ALL MIGHT BE DAMNED who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Hill Top
We Receive of Him, Because We Do Those Things That Are Pleasing in His Sight
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Hill Top » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:53 pm
Personally, I believe the principles of right and wrong provided in the Old Testament hold true, today, unless they are countermanded or altered in the New Testament.
So do I.
I believe Romans 1 still teaches that there are sins worthy of death. And, Jude and Peter make it plain that God still feels the same way that He did in the Old Testament concerning sins committed since Christ's resurrection.
Do you live without sin?
If the answer is "NO", the punishment you feel is just for "them" is also fitting for you.
If you want to deliver a death penalty for others, (Rom 1:32), you had better be unmentioned in verses 24 through 31.
If the laws of the land were godly, the law of the land would be death for such crimes.
Christians should not disagree with God.
Have you not heard?
We are not under the Law anymore !
Stoned any witches lately?
If you want a life that is OT, you must stone witches.

It is only the Giver of life who can take a life..



Hill Top
We Receive of Him, Because We Do Those Things That Are Pleasing in His Sight
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Hill Top » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:59 pm
I don't think you'll actually find Jesus telling us to pray for those that the man after God's own heart prayed against. I believe Jesus is the same now as He was then.
Would you say that Stephen was murdered?
A crime worthy of death?
Yet those people were obedient to the Mosaic Law in their actions.
Stephen even asked God not to hold their sin against them, in Acts 7:60.
Would you illicit the death penalty to Stephen, a perceived heretic?
Or would you illicit the death penalty on those who murdered him?
Even Paul, in the New Testament, was not opposed to turning folks over to Satan.
You impute death, while Paul commanded forgiveness.



Hill Top
We Receive of Him, Because We Do Those Things That Are Pleasing in His Sight
Posts: 930
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Hill Top » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:00 pm
Isn't it a sin for us to disagree with His judgment in these matters? And, to fail to pray in line with His revealed will in such matters?
Killing men is a sin.



User avatar
Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3016
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Ironman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Exo 20:13
Thou shalt not kill.
Deu 5:17
Thou shalt not kill.
Mat 5:21
Ye have heard that it was said by3 them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Rom 13:9
For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Gen 9:6
Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.


Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4920
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Unto what then were ye baptized

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:53 pm
Personally, I believe the principles of right and wrong provided in the Old Testament hold true, today, unless they are countermanded or altered in the New Testament.
So do I.
I'm glad we agree on this point, Hill Top.


2 Thessalonians 2:10b-12 King James Version
... because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved... GOD SHALL SEND THEM STRONG DELUSION, that they should believe a lie: THAT THEY ALL MIGHT BE DAMNED who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Post Reply