Dake Bible Discussion BoardShould people name churches after themselves?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.

Should people name churches after themselves?

Yes - there is no problem with this as long as Jesus is the center of the church
60%
No - Man's name has no place on a church of the living God
40%

Total votes: 5

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: Should people name churches after themselves?

Post by Grandfather »

luchnia wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 am
Looks like I am the only one that said NO to this :mrgreen:

Looks as if you overlooked my first posting on this.. "From the title of your post... "Should people name churches after themselves" I would generally say NO. However, naming a church after oneself is different than having a church named after someone."

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 am
bibleman wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:17 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 pm
bibleman wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:40 pm
Yeah Billy I know men do it... People don't go to Hell for naming a building after themselves but me personally, I wouldn't do it.
Would you consider the DAKE BIBLE BOARD or the DAKE BIBLE in the same category? Why or Why not?
No I would not consider this discussion board the same as a church.

Why not? A lot of differences for sure. What differences would you say.
I asked the question because of another poster mentioning several ministries, not churches, that bear the name of the founder. ("Kenneth Copeland Ministries ,Oral Roberts Ministries,LeSEA after Dr.Sumrall,Jimmy Swaggart Ministries ,Kenneth Hagin Ministries....and Brother Branham of course." and your reply, while saying... "People don't go to Hell for naming a building after themselves but me personally, I wouldn't do it." I believe implies that you wouldn't also name a ministry after someone. If that is the case, then isn't this board and the Dake bible comparable? If you are talking ministries, then I believe they are, if you are speaking about churches (not simply a building) then they are in different categories.

For me.... Ministries would be fine such as "Kenneth Copeland Ministries."

But I really wouldn't name a church after an individual such as "The First Church of Kenneth Copeland."

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I think the test is does the Power fall???

2.Are souls saved,bodies healed,miracles wrought and the chains of darkness broken in the name of Jesus.

If so :angel:

If not :neutral:

It is a fake no matter what the name on the building.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

bibleman wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm

But I really wouldn't name a church after an individual such as "The First Church of Kenneth Copeland."
I think the challenge I have is that it was not called the "Apostle Paul ministries" or "The Disciple Peter Ministries" or "The Spirit Filled Stephen Ministries" or "The Phillip Ministries."

This doesn't mean it is wrong, yet it should be something that men should put thought into and once they do my guess is they would choose not to take that path. Paul would be ripping his shirt off at what goes on today!

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

luchnia wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:23 pm
bibleman wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm

I think the challenge I have is that it was not called the "Apostle Paul ministries" or "The Disciple Peter Ministries" or "The Spirit Filled Stephen Ministries" or "The Phillip Ministries."

This doesn't mean it is wrong, yet it should be something that men should put thought into and once they do my guess is they would choose not to take that path. Paul would be ripping his shirt off at what goes on today!
As a Pastor here is what I have seen over the years....

A guest speaker comes to our church. He says his ministry name is "Jesus Glory Ministries" But his name is John Doe.

Well over and over again Nobody knows him as "Jesus Glory Ministries" they know him as John Doe.

When they look him up on the internet they do NOT look for "Jesus Glory Ministries" they look for John Doe.

When they write a check to help him with his outreach to orphans... they do NOT write their check to "Jesus Glory Ministries" they write it to John Doe.

So over the years I have just found it much easier to refer to special ministris by the name of the individual "John Doe Ministries" because the people are going to do that anyway.

BUT a church - Pastors come and go should I feel that the church should have a unique name that is NOT related to the Pastor.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

branham1965 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:54 pm
I think the test is does the Power fall???

2.Are souls saved,bodies healed,miracles wrought and the chains of darkness broken in the name of Jesus.

If so :angel:

If not :neutral:

It is a fake no matter what the name on the building.
The power is not of men and this is very often the problem we see in the world. Men love ego stroking and being lifted up. We are to lift up the servant Jesus. Men don't heal or save, faith heals, faith saves, and so on it goes.

Yes, after God delivered the WORD, the WORD must come through men and men have great responsibility. I know this seems petty, yet it is vital when we study God's word concerning the men that walked in His ways.

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

BTW, anybody heading out to the "Church of Paul" or the "Church of Peter" this weekend? :shocked!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 am
luchnia wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 am
Looks like I am the only one that said NO to this :mrgreen:

Looks as if you overlooked my first posting on this.. "From the title of your post... "Should people name churches after themselves" I would generally say NO. However, naming a church after oneself is different than having a church named after someone."
I did not overlook your post. My statement was incorrect. I should have posted that I am the only one that voted NO in the poll. Sorry about that.

Word up!