Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhen did the New Covenant begin???

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

When did the New Covenant begin???

Post by branham1965 »

I am asking this from my heart.

and i know of a few views on this. and people here know ALOT about alot of subjects.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: When did the New Covenant begin???

Post by branham1965 »

Reuben showed me once that the transition began with the coming of John the Baptist.

THE CROSS OF CALVARY was the point when the Testator our Lord died as a Ransom for all.Hebrews 9-10.
His burial 3 days from Wednesday to Resurrection Sunday sealed it forever.Rom 4:25,1 Cor 15.
i heard Sister Iverna say EVEN HEAVEN HAD TO BE SPRINKLED WITH DIVINE BLOOD!!!how wonderful.how mighty.

we owe the Lord Jesus Christ everything.

Bless the LORD.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

I believe the New Testament, the New Covenant, the covenant made with the blood of Jesus started at John 19:30 (NKJV)
30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

It is finished is a referrence to Jesus' work but also to the Old Covenant LAW. We are no longer bound by that law but rather live under the New Covenant the incorporates that Law.

All of the Gospels leading up to this moment are laying the ground work, defining the covenant, speaking of the blessings and curses, and listing of the benefits and requirements of the covenant. But the Covenant itself made between perfect (God the Father) and perfect (God the Son) was not made until the blood was spilt and the lamb sacrificed. We become partakers of that covenant when we partake of communion our salvation is realized when we accept the conditions of the covenant by a belief which causes us to be dependant on Christ Jesus for our salvation.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

ive heard that error before.it is called hyper-dispensationalism.its not of God.i dont care who taught it.its false.
the modern day "grace" gospel came from it.ie :live any way you want and its ok.we are in Grace. :evilbat:
the truth on Grace is in the Dake Bible.look up Grace and he dismantles every error ever taught in the name of Grace!!!!then he explains what Grace really is.

i can imagine being in the early Church with the Apostles of Jesus Christ and the Saints in Jerusalem and telling say Peter :crazyeyes: or James hey now you guys dont have it right here at all ........ cf Acts 15.

the adversary has actually deceived and fooled people into thinking they in Acts preached a different Gospel!!!!
these same people will tell us we dont observe the Lords Table today , we dont obey JESUS and Water Baptize believers today....
they tell us the Gospels are inferior :crazyeyes: to the Epistles!!!!

PAUL ANSWERS THESE KIND AND SAYS IF ANY MAN TEACH OTHERWISE AND CONSENT NOT TO WHOLESOME WORDS EVEN THE WORDS OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST :| ...HE KNOWS NOTHING. 1 TIM 6:3

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

One has to understand what a covenant is, in the case of the Old Covenant and the New Covenant both were blood covenants. The covenant exists at the time blood is spilt and the sacrifice is made. The things such gift giving, speaking of blessing and curses, promises made, contractual agreements discussed and such, that transpire before and after that act are conditions of the covenant. But by definition the covenant is established of comes into fruition at the time the blood is spilt and the sacrifice made.

However the church age is an entirely different timing. Many say it came into existence when Jesus charged Peter in Matt 16. Others claim when Jesus charged the disciples Acts 1. Others claim at Pentecost and still others when Paul preached to the gentiles.

In my opinion what is important is the Covenant and it started as I said before when Jesus cried out it is finished and gave up His soul. The blood covenant was established at that time.

davido
Be Strong in the Power of His Might

Post by davido »

When prophecy was fulfilled by the coming of Jesus Christ.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

i agree REVED. it was at Calvary's Cross when He said those Words that shook the Universe."It Is Finished."The Veil in the Temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.

Justaned wrote:One has to understand what a covenant is, in the case of the Old Covenant and the New Covenant both were blood covenants. The covenant exists at the time blood is spilt and the sacrifice is made. The things such gift giving, speaking of blessing and curses, promises made, contractual agreements discussed and such, that transpire before and after that act are conditions of the covenant. But by definition the covenant is established of comes into fruition at the time the blood is spilt and the sacrifice made.

However the church age is an entirely different timing. Many say it came into existence when Jesus charged Peter in Matt 16. Others claim when Jesus charged the disciples Acts 1. Others claim at Pentecost and still others when Paul preached to the gentiles.

In my opinion what is important is the Covenant and it started as I said before when Jesus cried out it is finished and gave up His soul. The blood covenant was established at that time.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

I agree with those who see the Covenant being put into effect with the death of Christ. That is what Hebrews teaches; a testament (which is the better understanding of the Greek term 'diatheke' as used in Hebrews) is not in effect until there is the death of the testator.
Of course, in another sense the Covenant began in the mind of God long before Calvary.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

fatherfisher wrote:I agree with those who see the Covenant being put into effect with the death of Christ. That is what Hebrews teaches; a testament (which is the better understanding of the Greek term 'diatheke' as used in Hebrews) is not in effect until there is the death of the testator.
Of course, in another sense the Covenant began in the mind of God long before Calvary.

Saint Paul States in Eph 2,Col 2 ,Hebrews 9-10 that it all happened at the Cross .

Derek Prince said the divine exchange happened at Calvary.i read it in Romans 4 last night.

NO its not a Baton Rouge thing ..nothing against anyone there.
i was very blessed to learn this as a young lad a mere spratt 30++ years ago.PTL.

The Lord Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world John 1;1 Peter 1. :|

Reuben
Pray Always with All Perseverance for All Saints

Post by Reuben »

Luke 16:16 (KJV)
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

This makes it clear that the Law ended and the inauguration of a new dispensation was beginning. Notice the following verses where Jesus changes immediately the system.
Matthew 5:21 (KJV)
21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

Matthew 5:22 (KJV)
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew 5:27 (KJV)
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Matthew 5:28 (KJV)
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The question then becomes "what was the time between the preaching of John and Jesus dying on the cross?" Was his words in force during those 3 years? Or, were they not in force until after his death?