Dake Bible Discussion BoardIf God does NOT have a body then how did he sit, wear clothes and have hair on His head?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
bibleman
Administrator

Re: If God does NOT have a body then how did he sit, wear clothes and have hair on His head?

Post by bibleman »

patrissimo wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:06 am
bibleman wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:01 am
patrissimo wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:02 am
I do not believe in an unknowable God. I pray to God every day. The God I know is not like Zeus, a finite being with a location such as Mt. Olympus or the "planet" heaven. The God I worship is that than which nothing greater can be conceived which is the only kind of God worthy of worship.
Just wondering WHAT is your VIEW of God. I mean do you imagine him as a person? a cloud? a spook? A piece of cold cheese?

If you don't believe what the Bible says about Him having a body... How do you imagine God?
Again...I do not imagine God. He cannot be imagined. Your question betrays an Epicurean tendency and presents me with a false dilemma. You clearly think that if even God Himself is not corporeal, then he must be nebulous or even nothing. I reject that false dilemma. God is beyond that. Here is what St. Thomas Aquinas said in response to your question"

"Corporeal parts are attributed to God in Scripture on account of His actions, and this is owing to a certain parallel. For instance the act of the eye is to see; hence the eye attributed to God signifies His power of seeing intellectually, not sensibly; and so on with the other parts."

"Whatever pertains to posture, also, is only attributed to God by some sort of parallel. He is spoken of as sitting, on account of His unchangeableness and dominion; and as standing, on account of His power of overcoming whatever withstands Him." - Summa Theologica I:Q. 2
Well on this issue Thomas Aquinas was a unbeliever of the Biblical text.

So you have NO concept of God at all?

In your mind... when you pray... do you feel you are praying to a nothingness God?

I guess to you and Aquinas God is basically nonsense!

One thing is for sure... When you get to Heaven you will see how wrong you were/are when you see God's FACE!

Revelation 22:4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

patrissimo
Having Conquered All, Stand, Ready to Do Battle Again

Re: If God does NOT have a body then how did he sit, wear clothes and have hair on His head?

Post by patrissimo »

bibleman wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:50 am
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
I do not believe in an unknowable God. I pray to God every day. The God I know is not like Zeus, a finite being with a location such as Mt. Olympus or the "planet" heaven. The God I worship is that than which nothing greater can be conceived which is the only kind of God worthy of worship.
Just wondering WHAT is your VIEW of God. I mean do you imagine him as a person? a cloud? a spook? A piece of cold cheese?

If you don't believe what the Bible says about Him having a body... How do you imagine God?
Again...I do not imagine God. He cannot be imagined. Your question betrays an Epicurean tendency and presents me with a false dilemma. You clearly think that if even God Himself is not corporeal, then he must be nebulous or even nothing. I reject that false dilemma. God is beyond that. Here is what St. Thomas Aquinas said in response to your question"

"Corporeal parts are attributed to God in Scripture on account of His actions, and this is owing to a certain parallel. For instance the act of the eye is to see; hence the eye attributed to God signifies His power of seeing intellectually, not sensibly; and so on with the other parts."

"Whatever pertains to posture, also, is only attributed to God by some sort of parallel. He is spoken of as sitting, on account of His unchangeableness and dominion; and as standing, on account of His power of overcoming whatever withstands Him." - Summa Theologica I:Q. 2

In your mind... when you pray... do you feel you are praying to a nothingness God?

One thing is for sure... When you get to Heaven you will see how wrong you were/are when you see God's FACE!

Revelation 22:4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
It's interesting that you mention seeing God face to face.

"We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then I shall know even as I am known." - I. Cor. 13:12

This is what St. Thomas and myself are talking about.

Lord have mercy

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

patrissimo wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:53 am
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

"We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then I shall know even as I am known." - I. Cor. 13:12

Not really... From what you have told me, you are NOT talking about seeing through a glass darkly at all! According to you and Aquinas there is NO God to see visually (glass dark or not).

And think about it, your view of God places man ABOVE God!

Man with a body can go from one place to another - God cannot.
Man with a body can work and exercise - God cannot.
Man with a body has eyes to see - God cannot.
Man with a body has a tongue to tase food - God cannot.
Man with a body has ears to hear beautiful music - God cannot.
Man with a body can embrace and hug the love of his life - God cannot.

Yeah seems like you and Aquinas have a very limited God.

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

patrissimo

Post by patrissimo »

bibleman wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:04 pm
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

Not really... From what you have told me, you are NOT talking about seeing through a glass darkly at all! According to you and Aquinas there is NO God to see visually (glass dark or not).

Quite the contrary! Our God is the Infinite Fulness of Being. Knowing God is somewhat like looking at the sun. The blindness comes not from the sun not being there but from the overwhelming brightness.

Lord have mercy

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

patrissimo wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:52 pm
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

Quite the contrary! Our God is the Infinite Fulness of Being. Knowing God is somewhat like looking at the sun. The blindness comes not from the sun not being there but from the overwhelming brightness.
Do you believe that God can go from one place to another?

God bless
Leon Bible

patrissimo

Post by patrissimo »

bibleman wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:41 pm
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:

No. He is everywhere present and fills all things. He has no need to move from place to place.

Lord have mercy

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

patrissimo wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:55 pm
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

No. He is everywhere present and fills all things. He has no need to move from place to place.
Sort of like Pantheism.

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

So you are saying that God lied when He said this!

Genesis 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

And you also think that Jesus (who is God) lied when He said this!

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

God bless
Leon Bible

patrissimo

Post by patrissimo »

bibleman wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:16 pm
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:

So you are saying that God lied when He said this!

Genesis 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

And you also think that Jesus (who is God) lied when He said this!

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
I've answered these questions before. God is not lying; rather, you are misinterpreting these texts to fit your assumptions which happen to be Epicurean in tendency.

Lord have mercy

patrissimo

Post by patrissimo »

luchnia wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:03 pm
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Sort of like Pantheism.
No. This is not pantheism; it is Christian doctrine. We believe that God created the world freely and not from exterior compulsion or inner necessity. This will not fit pantheism.

"Shall a man be hid in secret places, and I not see him, saith the Lord? do not I fill heaven and earth, saith the Lord?"
Jer. 23:24

"That they should seek God, if happily they may feel after him or find him, although he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and are..." - Acts 17:27-28a

Lord have mercy