Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe strange disposal of Mark 16:9-20

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: The strange disposal of Mark 16:9-20

Post by Grandfather »

rstrats wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:37 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:22 pm
rstrats wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Mat 28:1  Now after the Sabbath, toward the dawn of the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.
What is your point?
You do remember this

rstrats wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Actually, Mark 16:9 kind of does. As it is translated in the KJV and similar translations - it is the only scripture which says that the resurrection took place on the first day of the week.
So Matt 28 depicts the resurrection on the first day of week. Which refutes your claim that the disputed passage in Mark was the only place that said that.

Also Luke 24 supports the idea of a “first day of the week” resurrection as does John 20

rstrats
Zechariah

Post by rstrats »

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 pm
So Matt 28 depicts the resurrection on the first day of week. Which refutes your claim that the disputed passage in Mark was the only place that said that.

Also Luke 24 supports the idea of a “first day of the week” resurrection as does John 20

Those verses say nothing about the resurrection. They merely say that the women came to the tomb on the first of the week.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

rstrats wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:19 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:52 pm

Those verses say nothing about the resurrection. They merely say that the women came to the tomb on the first of the week.
If you cannot see the doctrine of the resurrection in Matt Luke and John then there is another issue to worry about.

rstrats
Zechariah

Post by rstrats »

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:52 pm
If you cannot see the doctrine of the resurrection in Matt Luke and John then there is another issue to worry about.

Matthew 28,Luke 24 and John 20 only say that the tomb was empty by the time the women arrived. They don't say when it became empty

rstrats
Zechariah

Post by rstrats »

Grandfather wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 pm
But even at that time, there were gatherings of "Christ-followers" that met on the first day of the week in order to continually celebrate the resurrection.

Just so it's understood that scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing that.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

rstrats wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:25 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 pm
But even at that time, there were gatherings of "Christ-followers" that met on the first day of the week in order to continually celebrate the resurrection.

Just so it's understood that scripture is silent with regard to anyone doing that.
I’m unsure of what your point is? Scripture does not designate a day of worship for Christians.

rstrats
Zechariah

Post by rstrats »

Grandfather,
re: "I’m unsure of what your point is?"

You wrote that Christians met on the first day of the week in order to continually celebrate the resurrection.

I was simply pointing out that while your statement is true, that there is no mention in scripture of anyone following that practice in case someone here thinks that there is.

Also, you assert that "scripture does not designate a day of worship for Christians". I'm not sure what your point is with regard to the discussion.
Last edited by rstrats on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

rstrats wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:54 am
Grandfather,

You wrote that Christians met on the first day of the week in order to continually celebrate the resurrection.

I was simply pointing out that while your statement is true, that there are no examples in scripture of anyone following that practice in case someone here thinks that there are.

Also, you assert that "scripture does not designate a day of worship for Christians". I'm not sure what your point is with regard to the discussion.
Acts 20:7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

rstrats
Zechariah

Post by rstrats »

bibleman wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:29 am

Acts 20:7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.
Nothing is said with regard to the observance of the resurrection.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

rstrats wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:54 am
Grandfather,

I was simply pointing out that while your statement is true, that there is no mention in scripture of anyone following that practice in case someone here thinks that there is.

The point is....

This conversation started around the inclusion/exclusion of Mark 16:9-20. In that discussion, it was stated by someone that this passage is the only scripture that says that the resurrection took place on the first day of the week. (I believe it was you)

During my rebuttal of that idea, I have shown that both Matthew, Mark, and Luke support that position. They may not say it as plainly, but a simple reading of those texts supports it without question. (BTW - scripture itself states that everything must be established by 2 or 3 witnesses, so if Mark was the only place then it would not be enough to establish it as truth.)

In the midst of that discussion, another poster asked about Sunday worship, "First Day" is what I believe they called it. In reply to that, I pointed to church history and how worshippers gathered on the first day of the week. To which YOU made the assertation that scripture was silent on that. (to which BibleMan has posted a rebuttal scripture). It was here that I pointed out there is NO MANDATE in scripture for Christians to gather on a particular day, hence the "silence" you mention.

So, it seems you desire to avoid the obvious in an attempt to prove some point that no one grasps. Scripture is clear that Jesus rose on the first day of the week, even if the passage of Mark 16 is excluded from the Bible. Scripture is clear that believers are to gather in worship, but give them the freedom to gather on whatever day, or days, they so desire.

History shows they gathered on the first day of the week to celebrate the resurrection, but that is not a scriptural mandate. You can gather on whatever day, whatever hour that you choose. Just do not forsake the gathering together.