Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhat is "SIN"

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
No Evil Shall Befall Them that Make the Lord Their Habitation

Re: What is "SIN"

Post by Grandfather »

luchnia wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:38 am
Grandfather wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:59 pm
If you want to set the low bar of allowing "mistakes and errors" to not be sin in order to boast that you are sin free, you can do so. But you're only deceiving yourself. More importantly you are held accountable for those that follow you in accepting anything less than perfection as acceptable to the Holy God.
I thank God that that His word does not teach mistakes and errors from a child of God are sins.
I'm sorry you that you have such a low standard of what Holiness entails. I'm thankful for the grace of God that saves from all sin, no matter how big or small.

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:06 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:36 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am
What is "SIN"
Proverbs 21:4 New King James Version
A haughty look, a proud heart,
And the plowing of the wicked are sin.
As I was thinking about this question, earlier this week, this verse kept coming to mind. Haughty? Check. Proud? Check?

But, "plowing"?

Why is "the plowing of the wicked sin"? Righteous people also plow.

On this verse, I checked Wesley's commentary.
Verse 4. The plowing - Even their civil or natural actions, which in themselves are lawful, are made sinful as they are managed by ungodly men, without any regard to the glory of God, which ought to be the end of all our actions.
So, any action that doesn't have the goal of glorifying God is sinful. Thus, all the actions of an unsaved person are sinful, even if they appear good. And, any action that doesn't have the goal of glorifying God is also sinful.

This reminds me of this verse:
Romans 14:23 New King James Version
But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
Any action that does not originate from faith is sinful. Dake notes that "One must know beyond all doubt or hesitation in his mind that what he allows is in perfect accord with the Word of God before he acts."

Being perfect as God is perfect appears to be a tall order to fulfill.
The key word of your post is Dake's use of the word "allows".
"Allows" indicates premeditation, planning, consideration of consequences.
Stubbing a toe or misspelling a word includes none of that.
Stubbing a toe or misspelling a word indicates a lack of preparation to prevent such. In essence, failing to take precautions to prevent such has been allowed.

Genesis 6:8 New King James Version
... Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Have you found grace in the eyes of the Lord?
Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion
School of Biblical Evangelism

Spiritblade Disciple

Ironman wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 pm
Where in Scripture does God command pitchers must not throw dozens of "mistaken" balls every night?
I don't think there's an explicit command, but it is implicit in the definition of sin, missing the mark. Any ball thrown shy of perfection misses the mark of perfection. Furthermore, most pitchers aren't playing ball to glorify God. And, just as the plowing of the wicked is sin, so is the ball playing of the wicked.

Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion

Spiritblade Disciple

Ironman wrote:
Where in Scripture does God teach locking oneself out of the house is a death penalty sin?
I don't think this is explicitly mentioned in scripture. But, I am glad that you asked about whether or not locking one's self out of the house is a "death penalty sin."

Since the purpose of this thread is a discussion of what is sin, I think delving into what constitutes a death penalty sin versus a sin not unto death is a separate topic for another thread. But, the short answer, in my opinion, is that in most cases locking one's self out of the house isn't a death penalty sin. But, I can think of cases where it might rise to that level. There are all sorts of scenarios that might be considered.

Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion

Spiritblade Disciple

Ironman wrote:
Where in Scripture does God teach watching baseball players or any other sport's people playing their game, sinful?
In all the scriptures where taking pleasure in those committing sin is spoken of in the negative sense. Don't you hate the work of them that turn aside? If the plowing of the wicked or the playing ball of the wicked is sinful, why do you set their wicked acts before your eyes?

See Psalms 101:3 and other scriptures.

Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion

Spiritblade Disciple

Ironman wrote:
I don't believe what I am reading in this thread. I have worked with hundreds of sinful men during my lifetime and had beer or two with them after work, was that sinful?
Quite possibly, yes. But, the actual answer depends upon a lot of variables that I'm not privy to. What does your conscience tell you? Is your conscience reliable in this matter and how do you know if it is?

Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: Errors

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:20 pm
Do you go to bed at night to glorify God?
Don't you?

Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion

Spiritblade Disciple

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:20 pm
It is written..."Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled." (Titus 1:15)
Purity itself is a faithful glorification of God.
Anything done by the pure glorifies God...even their misspellings and stubbings.
I would dread a life where I considered misspelling a word or stubbing my toe as sinful.
It would be a life of OT self-law keeping.
I say "self"-law because the NT is freed from the Law of Moses.
Sounds like you're working hard to justify sin and call it righteousness.

Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by luchnia »

The good thing is that perfection does not negate fallibility, or what we may define as mistakes or errors. Fallibility is part of perfection.

Case in point, God created man and repented because of the evil man did. Jesus was temped in every way as a man. He could have prevented temptation, but did not. Man changed God's mind. There are many, many examples in God's word.

Man is not a machine, just as God is not a machine. Sin works by one's choice of whom he will serve as Paul indicated. God set the baseline for what is right.

Word up!

Grandfather
No Evil Shall Befall Them that Make the Lord Their Habitation

Post by Grandfather »

luchnia wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:48 pm
The good thing is that perfection does not negate fallibility, or what we may define as mistakes or errors. Fallibility is part of perfection.

Case in point, God created man and repented because of the evil man did. Jesus was temped in every way as a man. He could have prevented temptation, but did not. Man changed God's mind. There are many, many examples in God's word.

Man is not a machine, just as God is not a machine. Sin works by one's choice of whom he will serve as Paul indicated. God set the baseline for what is right.
Please explain what you mean by "Fallibility is part of perfection."