Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhat is "SIN"

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: What is "SIN"

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:44 am
Hill Top wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:33 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:19 pm
Ever heard of "Forgive and forget"?
Is that in the Bible?
Yes, "that" is in the bible.
Here is an example..."Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God." (Isa 50:10)

An NT verse that closely approximates "Forgive and forget" is..."Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered."
(Rom 4:7)...quoted from Ps 32:1.
Where is the FORGET part?
"Covered" covers that.
If one continues to carry around the animosity and anger over something supposedly forgiven, there was no forgiveness but just the appearance of forgiveness.

Hill Top
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Errors

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:16 am
Grandfather wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 pm
Finally, for now, I would ask a few simple questions to those who think mistakes and errors are not sin.
Who gets to decide when a "mistake" or "error" is grievous enough to rise to the level of sin?
What if the well-intended "mistake" causes someone else to commit an easily recognizable sin?
Does that mistake now rise to the "sin" level?
In my view, Jesus never stated anything that would suggest a mistake, as we define the word mistake, as a sin. If one understands the spirit and nature of sin it is not a struggle understanding what sin is and who its master is. The bible explains sin and sin's master well as well as the different natures between unrighteous and righteous works.

Consider the spirit that is darkened by sin and its intent. Even temptation is not sin as we see in James and anger is not sin as we see in Luke, yet some would make these sin in their brothers and sisters. Can they become sin? Certainly. It is about the intent of the spirit of man when following a heart/spirit of darkness.

None of this should be that difficult to understand for a child of God because they are born again from above and have put off the old man and have crucified the flesh with the affections and lust. They walk in a different spirit with different direction. A spirit that aligns with the fruit of the Spirit that can see works of unrighteousness for what they are. The same Spirit that hates evil.

The works of evil flesh are manifest as Paul explains in Galatians - adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, everllings, and such like. Paul maintained his points about the evil unrighteous acts and the end of such things.

Those with the evil darkened spirit will not inherit the kingdom of God as Paul explained. Sinners love darkness because they are evil and serve satan their master. Those that sin hate the light and don't come to it.

An elderly lady that confesses with her mouth and believes in her heart that God raised Jesus from the dead and stubs her toe does not love darkness, nor has an evil spirit of satan because she has made a mistake and stubbed her toe.
Bravo!

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:07 am
Hill Top wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 pm
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 pm
I believe that errors are sins.

The first mention of the word "error" that I can find in the Bible is here:

2 Samuel 6:6-7 New King James Version
And when they came to Nachon's threshing floor, Uzzah put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. Then the anger of the LORD was aroused against Uzzah, and God struck him there for his error; and he died there by the ark of God.

Errors are punishable by death. The wages of sin is death.

Is there any biblical reason to think that errors are not sins?
I guess there are no baseball players going to heaven.
Pitchers throw dozens of "mistaken" balls every night.
Sinners?
I think not.
I don't think errors, or mistakes, are sins, because they are not intentional efforts to achieve something.
Their idolatry, not their mistake, would be the sin.
I don't know of any pro baseball players that meet the criteria that you teach concerning going to Heaven. So, why worry about the small stuff?
Is an accusation of sin because of a misspelled word. locking oneself out of the house, or some other mistake, a small thing?
I think taking pleasure in watching unsaved people playing baseball is sinful (Proverbs 21:4; Romans 1:32; Romans 14:23).

And, if the attempted spelling of a word, the locking one's self out of the house, or some other mistake wasn't carried out in faith with the intent to glorify God, it is sinful.

Genesis 6:8 New King James Version
... Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Have you found grace in the eyes of the Lord?
Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion
School of Biblical Evangelism

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:36 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am
What is "SIN"
Proverbs 21:4 New King James Version
A haughty look, a proud heart,
And the plowing of the wicked are sin.
As I was thinking about this question, earlier this week, this verse kept coming to mind. Haughty? Check. Proud? Check?

But, "plowing"?

Why is "the plowing of the wicked sin"? Righteous people also plow.

On this verse, I checked Wesley's commentary.
Verse 4. The plowing - Even their civil or natural actions, which in themselves are lawful, are made sinful as they are managed by ungodly men, without any regard to the glory of God, which ought to be the end of all our actions.
So, any action that doesn't have the goal of glorifying God is sinful. Thus, all the actions of an unsaved person are sinful, even if they appear good. And, any action that doesn't have the goal of glorifying God is also sinful.

This reminds me of this verse:
Romans 14:23 New King James Version
But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
Any action that does not originate from faith is sinful. Dake notes that "One must know beyond all doubt or hesitation in his mind that what he allows is in perfect accord with the Word of God before he acts."

Being perfect as God is perfect appears to be a tall order to fulfill.
The key word of your post is Dake's use of the word "allows".
"Allows" indicates premeditation, planning, consideration of consequences.
Stubbing a toe or misspelling a word includes none of that.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Where in Scripture does God command pitchers must not throw dozens of "mistaken" balls every night?

Where in Scripture does God teach locking oneself out of the house is a death penalty sin?

Where in Scripture does God teach watching baseball players or any other sport's people playing their game, sinful?

I don't believe what I am reading in this thread. I have worked with hundreds of sinful men during my lifetime and had beer or two with them after work, was that sinful?

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:53 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:28 pm
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:07 am
Hill Top wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:26 pm
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 pm
I believe that errors are sins.

The first mention of the word "error" that I can find in the Bible is here:

2 Samuel 6:6-7 New King James Version
And when they came to Nachon's threshing floor, Uzzah put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. Then the anger of the LORD was aroused against Uzzah, and God struck him there for his error; and he died there by the ark of God.

Errors are punishable by death. The wages of sin is death.

Is there any biblical reason to think that errors are not sins?
I guess there are no baseball players going to heaven.
Pitchers throw dozens of "mistaken" balls every night.
Sinners?
I think not.
I don't think errors, or mistakes, are sins, because they are not intentional efforts to achieve something.
Their idolatry, not their mistake, would be the sin.
I don't know of any pro baseball players that meet the criteria that you teach concerning going to Heaven. So, why worry about the small stuff?
Is an accusation of sin because of a misspelled word. locking oneself out of the house, or some other mistake, a small thing?
I think taking pleasure in watching unsaved people playing baseball is sinful (Proverbs 21:4; Romans 1:32; Romans 14:23).
And, if the attempted spelling of a word, the locking one's self out of the house, or some other mistake wasn't carried out in faith with the intent to glorify God, it is sinful.
Do you go to bed at night to glorify God?

It is written..."Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled." (Titus 1:15)
Purity itself is a faithful glorification of God.
Anything done by the pure glorifies God...even their misspellings and stubbings.
I would dread a life where I considered misspelling a word or stubbing my toe as sinful.
It would be a life of OT self-law keeping.
I say "self"-law because the NT is freed from the Law of Moses.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Ironman wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 pm
Where in Scripture does God command pitchers must not throw dozens of "mistaken" balls every night?

Where in Scripture does God teach locking oneself out of the house is a death penalty sin?

Where in Scripture does God teach watching baseball players or any other sport's people playing their game, sinful?

I don't believe what I am reading in this thread. I have worked with hundreds of sinful men during my lifetime and had beer or two with them after work, was that sinful?
It would be a sin IF you considered it sinful.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:25 pm
Ironman wrote:

I don't consider it sinful.

Romans 3:23, For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Paul says that sin is coming short of the glory of God. And none else but the Lord Jesus Christ Himself is the “glory of God.”

Do you or anyone else dare stand before this standard of God and claim, I am as perfect and holy in thought and word and deed as the blessed Son of God? Christ died for sinners, not good folks. Paul said in 1 Tim. 1:15, This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Ironman wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Ironman wrote:

I don't consider it sinful. Do you?

Paul says that sin is coming short of the glory of God. And none else but the Lord Jesus Christ Himself is the “glory of God.”

Do you or anyone else dare stand before this standard of God and claim, I am as perfect and holy in thought and word and deed as the blessed Son of God? Christ died for sinners, not good folks. Paul said in 1 Tim. 1:15, This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Ironman wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Ironman wrote:

I don't consider it sinful.
Good, then it is not sinful.
I'm glad we know this was written of OT folks, before Jesus proved it wrong.

Right here pal...
It is written..."If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified." (1 Peter 4:14)
Jesus did indeed die for sinners, but He also died so they need not remain sinners.
His truth can free men from committing sin. (John 8:32-34)
It is written..."He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked." (1 John 2:6)
I wish all men were abiding in Him.

I thank God for saving Paul from his prior sins, as he went on to write..."Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame." (1 Cor 15:34)
And... "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Cor 5:21)
And..."Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." (2 Tim 2:19)