Dake Bible Discussion BoardShould Soldiers Stop Soldiering?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple

Re: Vigilantism? Or, Just Being a Good Neighbor?

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 am
Vigilantism?
Trust in God instead.
Let's reimagine the parable of the Luke 10:25-37.

What if there was another passerby who happened by well before the Samaritan, the Levite, or the Priest.

What if someone else (a former soldier) had passed by at the moment the man fell among the theives and was a witness, but he did nothing and just continued on his way because he didn't believe in using force to stop violence (even though the man had previously been trained by the Roman military and knew for certain that he could rescue the victim from the thieves if he were willing to seriously maim or even kill them). So, he prays and continues on his way.

Could we say that that man was the victim's neighbor? To me, he sounds more like the neighbor of the thieves.

It's kind of like when someone sees a brother or sister without food and clothing and they just pray for them, even though they have the ability to meet the need right then and there.

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: Soldiers & Government Officials Can't Be Christians

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 am
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:03 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:39 pm
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:21 pm
Also, is it impossible for soldiers or government officials to be real Christians?
I do feel that way.
Christians align themselves with God, and by swearing an allegiance to something else have turned that "something else" into an idol.
I'm saddened that you feel this way.
I'm not an idol worshiper, no matter what flag they fly.
What you call idol worship, I see as merely love of neighbor. That flag represents friends, neighbors, and family.

Can it become idol worship? Certainly. But, rightly understood, it is love of neighbor and the way to rightly demonstrate allegiance to it is through loving ones neighbors through service and sacrifice. Twist it up, and it can definitely be less than what it ought to be.

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Hill Top
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Criminals Would Over Run the Place!

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:39 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:56 pm
luchnia wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:57 am
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:02 pm
And, just as that is contrary to what ought to be, so I have great difficulty believing that anyone that is against God's justice (including the death penalty) being carried out in this world. I do not believe that such people love either God or neighbor as they ought.
These are powerful statements and would place HT in an interesting position as one whom does not love God or neighbor. I can see the concept of this by seeing his view against God's justice being carried out as you put it, yet I keep wondering if this is simply one of ignorance. I feel we are all ignorant about many things, yet some of us are not willing to grow past that ignorance in truth.

To make claims that those who carry guns such as soldiers (police too) are evil-doers is totally out of sync with God's word and even common sense without much biblical knowledge would show otherwise. Is it possible though, this issue as with the lack of understanding the water baptism thing, is simply one of ignorance?

Are you forming that observation because there is no openness to the other scriptures to learn the truth about these things? I am wondering because this has crossed my mind as well while discussion these issues, and I can remember times when I was so immature in God's word that I did the exact same thing.

In looking back at those times of ignorance I realize my errors, but I cannot go back and undo any of it. I have often wished I could certain things though as I know in my ignorance I misled some folks.
I guess now that you are without sin you CAN throw the first stone.
Your perception and what you assume is rather interesting. Why not attempt to understand the post and the question posed to SBD? I am interested in his point of view as he posted.
Which question posed to SBD do you refer to?

Hill Top
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Vigilantism? Or, Just Being a Good Neighbor?

Post by Hill Top »

Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:57 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 am
Vigilantism?
Trust in God instead.
Let's reimagine the parable of the Luke 10:25-37.

What if there was another passerby who happened by well before the Samaritan, the Levite, or the Priest.

What if someone else (a former soldier) had passed by at the moment the man fell among the theives and was a witness, but he did nothing and just continued on his way because he didn't believe in using force to stop violence (even though the man had previously been trained by the Roman military and knew for certain that he could rescue the victim from the thieves if he were willing to seriously maim or even kill them). So, he prays and continues on his way.

Could we say that that man was the victim's neighbor? To me, he sounds more like the neighbor of the thieves.

It's kind of like when someone sees a brother or sister without food and clothing and they just pray for them, even though they have the ability to meet the need right then and there.
As we are dealing with "what ifs", what if God protected the ex-soldier from ever being in a place where he would need to do violence?
That is, in fact, something I ask God for regularly.

Hill Top

Re: Soldiers & Government Officials Can't Be Christians

Post by Hill Top »

Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:15 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 am
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:03 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:39 pm
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:21 pm
Also, is it impossible for soldiers or government officials to be real Christians?
I do feel that way.
Christians align themselves with God, and by swearing an allegiance to something else have turned that "something else" into an idol.
I'm saddened that you feel this way.
I'm not an idol worshiper, no matter what flag they fly.
What you call idol worship, I see as merely love of neighbor. That flag represents friends, neighbors, and family.

Can it become idol worship? Certainly. But, rightly understood, it is love of neighbor and the way to rightly demonstrate allegiance to it is through loving ones neighbors through service and sacrifice. Twist it up, and it can definitely be less than what it ought to be.
It is now "twisted up".
It kills me when I see men forsaking their own families to fight over seas.
Where are their priorities?
Would God leave the church alone to fend for themselves while He left to do other things?
That is the picture you are trying to convince me is Godly behavior.

branham1965

Re: Should Soldiers Stop Soldiering? Greatest Generation?

Post by branham1965 »

Romans 13 answers this.So does 1 Timothy 2:1-3.
We need Government and a Military.
We need civil authorities.
Can you imagine "the greatest generation"staying home during World War Two??!!!

luchnia

Re: Criminals Would Over Run the Place!

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 pm
luchnia wrote:
Hill Top wrote:
luchnia wrote:
And, just as that is contrary to what ought to be, so I have great difficulty believing that anyone that is against God's justice (including the death penalty) being carried out in this world. I do not believe that such people love either God or neighbor as they ought.
These are powerful statements and would place HT in an interesting position as one whom does not love God or neighbor. I can see the concept of this by seeing his view against God's justice being carried out as you put it, yet I keep wondering if this is simply one of ignorance. I feel we are all ignorant about many things, yet some of us are not willing to grow past that ignorance in truth.

To make claims that those who carry guns such as soldiers (police too) are evil-doers is totally out of sync with God's word and even common sense without much biblical knowledge would show otherwise. Is it possible though, this issue as with the lack of understanding the water baptism thing, is simply one of ignorance?

Are you forming that observation because there is no openness to the other scriptures to learn the truth about these things? I am wondering because this has crossed my mind as well while discussion these issues, and I can remember times when I was so immature in God's word that I did the exact same thing.

In looking back at those times of ignorance I realize my errors, but I cannot go back and undo any of it. I have often wished I could certain things though as I know in my ignorance I misled some folks.
Your perception and what you assume is rather interesting. Why not attempt to understand the post and the question posed to SBD? I am interested in his point of view as he posted.
This question - Are you forming that observation because there is no openness to the other scriptures to learn the truth about these things?

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Re: Skipping Church in the Best of Times?

Post by bibleman »

branham1965 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 am
You questioned the greatest generation staying home during world War Two!

No I can't imagine that at all!

BUT think how shallow some "so called" Christians are - they stay home from church even in the best of times.

It is no wonder that they were so eager to close their churches during this little coronavirus deal.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Hill Top

Re: Have You Turned Over Your Care & Well-being to Men?

Post by Hill Top »

branham1965 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 am
I guess you have turned over your care and well being to men.
What happened to Israel when they did that?
Assyria, then Persia attacked them and they fled to Egypt...only to see Egypt and all the other places they relied on for their protection, destroyed.

Hill Top

Re: What has been Written in My Heart Cannot be Ignored

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:02 am
Hill Top wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 pm
luchnia wrote:
Hill Top wrote:
luchnia wrote:

This question - Are you forming that observation because there is no openness to the other scriptures to learn the truth about these things?
Scriptures don't contradict each other.
What has been written in my heart cannot be ignored.