Dake Bible Discussion BoardAllowing the context of a chapter change what is written later in a book.

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Allowing the context of a chapter change what is written later in a book.

Post by luchnia »

Reading one of the threads about making children unclean made me think of this. How you can take a principle that is in context in a chapter and overthrow what is written in a chapter that follows. The Bible, like other books, does this very thing. A good example is taking Romans 7 in context, but not allowing the context of chapter 8 to over rule it.

Paul made many statements in his letters that he overruled in later chapters and other letters, yet we find that sometimes we don't want to accept the later context or principle as important as the earlier context.

There are many topics that follow along these lines. Example question, was Paul free from sin? Well if you read his statements in Romans 7 you would think not, yet he goes on to say he was free from sin. Which is it, the first, or the last? This gets to the point of how critical it is not only to have the context, but to also have later context that may over rule earlier context. Context can be in part and often is in part throughout the Bible.

Not every Biblical principle is like this, but many are. What Paul states in Romans 10 (and Acts as well) strikes an overruling blow to his earlier principles in Romans by his own design which we can see, or should be able to, how important it is to understand the whole of a matter instead of only a part of it. This is simply food for thought.

Word up!

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Re: Allowing the context of a chapter change what is written later in a book.

Post by macca »

And yet all evangelicals do not receive anything that is written after Romans hapter 7.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:10 am
Reading one of the threads about making children unclean made me think of this. How you can take a principle that is in context in a chapter and overthrow what is written in a chapter that follows. The Bible, like other books, does this very thing. A good example is taking Romans 7 in context, but not allowing the context of chapter 8 to over rule it.

Paul made many statements in his letters that he overruled in later chapters and other letters, yet we find that sometimes we don't want to accept the later context or principle as important as the earlier context.

There are many topics that follow along these lines. Example question, was Paul free from sin? Well if you read his statements in Romans 7 you would think not, yet he goes on to say he was free from sin. Which is it, the first, or the last? This gets to the point of how critical it is not only to have the context, but to also have later context that may over rule earlier context. Context can be in part and often is in part throughout the Bible.

Not every Biblical principle is like this, but many are. What Paul states in Romans 10 (and Acts as well) strikes an overruling blow to his earlier principles in Romans by his own design which we can see, or should be able to, how important it is to understand the whole of a matter instead of only a part of it.
This is simply food for thought.
Yummy . +grill

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

macca wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:35 am
And yet all evangelicals do not receive anything that is written after Romans hapter 7.
Perfect example you have given!

For quite a number of years listening to pastors and teachers that never got beyond chapter 7 all I heard was how doomed I was and I was nothing but a slug destined for hell having some sin "nature" thing even after being born again. Learned from those pastors and teachers how Paul was steeped in sin and with no hope and that I could never be free from that dark nature.

It laid a lot of guilt on me for a number of years and was very hard to shake off, but God's word freed me. I had to grow to understand my identity in Christ and one day I found chapter 8 and the later contexts learning who I was in Christ by the Spirit of God. That along with deep study changed my understanding for the better and I learned how to glean and not to receive from those that taught incorrectly. I learned to pick out the gold nuggets and throw the chaff in the fire to be burned.

There are so many subjects being mis-taught from single text and doctrines built from incorrect teaching these days it is mind boggling. We have to train our minds to receive the whole counsel of God's word and not get side tracked by erroneous teaching. Paul's letters remind me that a part of a matter is never the whole of the matter and we should be wise enough to grasp that simple concept.

Word up!

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
And yet all evangelicals do not receive anything that is written after Romans chapter 7.
"All" evangelicals?

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 6:38 am
macca wrote:
Perfect example you have given!

For quite a number of years listening to pastors and teachers that never got beyond chapter 7 all I heard was how doomed I was and I was nothing but a slug destined for hell having some sin "nature" thing even after being born again. Learned from those pastors and teachers how Paul was steeped in sin and with no hope and that I could never be free from that dark nature.

It laid a lot of guilt on me for a number of years and was very hard to shake off, but God's word freed me. I had to grow to understand my identity in Christ and one day I found chapter 8 and the later contexts learning who I was in Christ by the Spirit of God. That along with deep study changed my understanding for the better and I learned how to glean and not to receive from those that taught incorrectly. I learned to pick out the gold nuggets and throw the chaff in the fire to be burned.

There are so many subjects being mis-taught from single text and doctrines built from incorrect teaching these days it is mind boggling. We have to train our minds to receive the whole counsel of God's word and not get side tracked by erroneous teaching. Paul's letters remind me that a part of a matter is never the whole of the matter and we should be wise enough to grasp that simple concept.
Paul's words in 1 Cor 1:17..."For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."...is an excellent example of what you are stating.
Men take one verse to obliterate, even condemn, the baptism that Paul has devoted an entire chapter of Romans (6) to detail.
The grand context of the bible is this...Love God with all your heart, soul, and strength; and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
Mini-contexts cannot work against those two things.

macca

Post by macca »

Hill Top wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 2:09 pm
macca wrote:
And yet all evangelicals do not receive anything that is written after Romans chapter 7.
"All" evangelicals?

Anyone that calls themselves or believes themselves to be evangelicals are included in my statement.
They believe they are dirty rotten sinners and they cannot help being that way, that is why they believe once saved always saved.
That gets them off the hook so they can live anyway they want to.
It is not only the evangelical bunch that believe this devilish filth, I had a pastor in my AOG church who believes the same and he would teach and preach it from the pulpit .
I left never to return.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:17 am
Hill Top wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 2:09 pm
macca wrote:
"All" evangelicals?
Anyone that calls themselves or believes themselves to be evangelicals are included in my statement.
They believe they are dirty rotten sinners and they cannot help being that way, that is why they believe once saved always saved.
That gets them off the hook so they can live anyway they want to.
It is not only the evangelical bunch that believe this devilish filth, I had a pastor in my AOG church who believes the same and he would teach and preach it from the pulpit .
I left never to return.
Philip, one of the seven, was an evangelist as per Acts 21:8.
Aren't we all supposed to be evangelists?

Much like Christianity as a whole, the bad guys have made God's church look bad in the eyes of the world.
Like one bad cop spoils it for the rest of the good cops, so too can one devil infiltrate the church and lead many astray .

macca

Post by macca »

We can call ourselves anything we like but it does not make us born-again sons of God.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:21 am
We can call ourselves anything we like but it does not make us born-again sons of God.
So true.