Dake Bible Discussion BoardPaul, the FIRST Christian?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Paul, the FIRST Christian?

Post by Hill Top »

Some I have met lately have said Paul was the first Christian, based on 1 Tim 1:15-16...
"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting."

Their POV doesn't take into account the original apostles and disciples of the Lord, nor the 3000 on the day of Pentecost, nor those of Samaria, nor Cornelius, who were all converts well before Paul was converted.

I feel that Paul's use of the word "first" was more a reference to the just stated "chief" of those sinners Jesus came to save.
He went from being a persecutor of the church, to being selected, face to face by Jesus, to spread the message.

Does Rev Dake have anything to say on that?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Re: Paul, the FIRST Christian?

Post by Hill Top »

But the topic of the OP is Paul being labeled the first Christian.
Did Rev Dake say anything about that M-A-D claim?