Dake Bible Discussion BoardBodiless Spirits Exist. Why Can't God be Bodiless?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
patrissimo
Having Conquered All, Stand, Ready to Do Battle Again

Bodiless Spirits Exist. Why Can't God be Bodiless?

Post by patrissimo »

If it's possible for bodiless spirits to exist, then why can't God be a bodiless spirit?

Lord have mercy

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Re: Bodiless Spirits Exist. Why Can't God be Bodiless?

Post by Ironman »

He did manifest Himself as a man many times. One time for instance, this man proved to be the God of heaven, on of the persons of the Divine Godhead who was personally leading Israel from Egypt. He now revealed Himself as a man, so that from outward appearance He stood like a man, looked like a man, held a sword like a man, spoke like a man with an audible voice, and Joshua approached Him like a man(Joshua 5, v 13-15).

Joshua 5: 13-15, And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?

14, And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

15, And the captain of the LORD'S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

He never forbid him from worshiping Him, and He told him to take of his shoes for he was standing on Holy ground. Only God would do that,

Joshua worshipped Him (v 14), and such reverence belongs only to Divine ones. If He had only been a messenger of God He would not have permitted worship. Joshua called Him Lord, master, owner. Joshua recognized himself as His servant.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Ironman wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:36 pm
He did manifest Himself as a man many times. One time for instance, this man proved to be the God of heaven, one of the persons of the Divine Godhead who was personally leading Israel from Egypt. He now revealed Himself as a man, so that from outward appearance He stood like a man, looked like a man, held a sword like a man, spoke like a man with an audible voice, and Joshua approached Him like a man, (Joshua 5, v 13-15).

Joshua 5: 13-15, And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?

14, And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

15, And the captain of the LORD'S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

He never forbid him from worshiping Him, and He told him to take of his shoes for he was standing on Holy ground. Only God would do that as He did with Moses. Moses was instructed to remove his sandals, because he was standing on holy ground. The meaning is clear: God demanded that Moses humble himself in the presence of God.

Joshua worshipped Him (v 14), and such reverence belongs only to Divine ones. If He had only been a messenger of God He would not have permitted worship. Joshua called Him Lord, master, owner. Joshua recognized himself as His servant.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

Ironman wrote:
He did manifest Himself as a man many times. One time for instance, this man proved to be the God of heaven, on of the persons of the Divine Godhead who was personally leading Israel from Egypt. He now revealed Himself as a man, so that from outward appearance He stood like a man, looked like a man, held a sword like a man, spoke like a man with an audible voice, and Joshua approached Him like a man(Joshua 5, v 13-15).

He never forbid him from worshiping Him, and He told him to take of his shoes for he was standing on Holy ground. Only God would do that,

Why couldn't the captain of the Lord's host been the Word?
Why not an angel?
Men called everyone they were afraid of "Lord".

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Hill Top wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:46 pm
Ironman wrote:

Why not an angel?
The Word is God, John 1:1-3, and no angel accepts man 's worship or adoration. No angel ever has told men to take of their shoes because they are standing on holy ground.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

Ironman wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:29 am
Hill Top wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:46 pm
Ironman wrote:

Why not an angel?
The Word is God, John 1:1-3,...
I know, but they are two different manifestations of God too.
The Father is a spirit.
...and no angel accepts man 's worship or adoration. No angel ever has told men to take of their shoes because they are standing on holy ground.
First time for everything, eh?
I still think the captain of the Lord's host was the Word...not the Father.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

patrissimo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:13 pm
If it's possible for bodiless spirits to exist, then why can't God be a bodiless spirit?
Maybe in a new age euphoric belief system, but not according to God's word. Why change God to some bodiless nothingness? What would that gain? Man is made in God's image and is man bodiless?

Word up!

patrissimo
Having Conquered All, Stand, Ready to Do Battle Again

Post by patrissimo »

luchnia wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:02 pm
patrissimo wrote:
Maybe in a new age euphoric belief system, but not according to God's word. Why change God to some bodiless nothingness? What would that gain? Man is made in God's image and is man bodiless?
Why do you equate bodilessness with nothingness? In an earlier post, Leon Bible said there could be bodiless spirits. Are such spirits nothing?

Belief in an Incorporeal God has always been the Jewish/Christian belief and Christians are not new agers and I certainly am no new ager.

Lord have mercy

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

patrissimo wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:16 pm
luchnia wrote:
patrissimo wrote:
Why do you equate bodilessness with nothingness? In an earlier post, Leon Bible said there could be bodiless spirits. Are such spirits nothing?

Belief in an Incorporeal God has always been the Jewish/Christian belief and Christians are not new agers and I certainly am no new ager.
Ok, I will rephrase the question Why change God to some bodiless spirit? What would be the gain in doing that? Maybe Bibleman can tell us what a bodiless spirit is? That would be helpful. Paul said there is a spiritual body, so I am not aware of a spirit being bodiless nor where that teaching is from.

1 Corinthians 15:44 (KJV)
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

patrissimo wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:16 pm
luchnia wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

When did I ever say that there are bodiless spirits?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note