Dake Bible Discussion BoardThis is Who the Law Still Applies To

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

This is Who the Law Still Applies To

Post by Hill Top »

This is who the Law still applies to..."Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;" (1 Tim 1:9-10)

NT men are to [live] with love as the guideline.
Not OT Law.

bibleman
Administrator

Re: This is Who the Law Still Applies To

Post by bibleman »

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:59 pm
This is who the Law still applies to..."Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;" (1 Tim 1:9-10)

Not OT Law.
Not so fast....

There are many NT laws and commands that we are to live by and obey!

1 John 3:22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

bibleman wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:36 pm
Hill Top wrote:

Not OT Law.
Not so fast....

1 John 3:22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
Which of those doesn't involve the love I alluded to?
Thankfully, the law of freedom in Christ Jesus is based on love, not separation from the heathen.(Gal 6:2)

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:48 am
bibleman wrote:
Hill Top wrote:

Not OT Law.
Not so fast....

Thankfully, the law of freedom in Christ Jesus is based on love, not separation from the heathen.(Gal 6:2)
I don't know about the allusion you speak of BUT there are many commands in the NT.

Here are four of them:

Acts 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.

Here Paul gives a couple more commands to the married:

1 Corinthians 7:10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.
11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

So to say that there is ONLY one law in the NT - the law of love, would not be correct.

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

bibleman wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:51 am
Hill Top wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Hill Top wrote:

Not OT Law.
Not so fast....

I don't know about the allusion you speak of BUT there are many commands in the NT.

Here are four of them:

Acts 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.

1 Corinthians 7:10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband.
11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

So to say that there is ONLY one law in the NT - the law of love, would not be correct.
The law of Christ that I wrote of covers all your scenarios.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:05 pm
bibleman wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:51 am
Hill Top wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Hill Top wrote:

Not OT Law.
Not so fast....

Here are four of them:

The law of Christ that I wrote of covers all your scenarios.

Do you miss the OT?
600 or so laws to be judged by?
Since when did Acts 15:28 become OT?

God bless
Leon Bible

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

I am a little confused as to how the word "law" is being used.

There is ceremonial law, Religious law and Civil law found in the OT. To assume one is free from all the "law" except for the law of love. I ask how you practice that while driving. How does the law of love determine right of way, or who stops at the traffic light, or what speed you can go on various roadways.

There are several more examples I can give about civil law.