Dake Bible Discussion BoardDake and Divine Attributes

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: Dake and Divine Attributes

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:49 pm

Well, take you own reasoning...

You said: "Omnipotent is the trait of being all-powerful, not "all doing." Simply because He is not doing something, does not mean he cannot it.

The same "could be" (based on that logic) said: Omniscient is the trait of being all-knowing, not "not exercising the all knowing all the time." Simply because He is not knowing something, does not mean he cannot know it.

See? Understand his argument?
Sorry, choosing to "not know" is choosing ignorance. One either knows or they do not know. It cannot be both.

Being omnipotent does not require a constant display of that power. God may not display is omniscience, but that does not mean if ceases to be omniscient. If you do not understand the difference between having a trait and displaying that trait, then there is little that can be added to this discussion

patrissimo
Having Conquered All, Stand, Ready to Do Battle Again

Post by patrissimo »

"Simply because He is not knowing something, does not mean he cannot know it."

This could be said of any man couldn't it? At one time I did not know 2=2=4 so I was "not knowing something." But that didn't mean I could not know it for I came to know it at some point.

Lord have mercy

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:04 pm
bibleman wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:49 pm

Well, take you own reasoning...

You said: "Omnipotent is the trait of being all-powerful, not "all doing." Simply because He is not doing something, does not mean he cannot it.

The same "could be" (based on that logic) said: Omniscient is the trait of being all-knowing, not "not exercising the all knowing all the time." Simply because He is not knowing something, does not mean he cannot know it.

See? Understand his argument?
Sorry, choosing to "not know" is choosing ignorance. One either knows or they do not know. It cannot be both.

Being omnipotent does not require a constant display of that power. God may not display is omniscience, but that does not mean if ceases to be omniscient. If you do not understand the difference between having a trait and displaying that trait, then there is little that can be added to this discussion
I hear you... and you do not accept the logic of his reasoning.

But he does. And So do I.

OR using your words one could say: choosing to "not DO" is choosing weakness. One either "can" or "He can't." It cannot be both.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

patrissimo wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:21 pm

This could be said of any man couldn't it? At one time I did not know 2=2=4 so I was "not knowing something." But that didn't mean I could not know it for I came to know it at some point.
But, you would not be claiming to be omniscient at any point, would you?

patrissimo
Having Conquered All, Stand, Ready to Do Battle Again

Post by patrissimo »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:50 pm
patrissimo wrote:

No, I wouldn't be claiming to be omniscient because I would be aware of my ignorance. For the same reason, a "God" who is not knowing and comes to know is not omniscient. God's Knowledge is not something has HAS but rather what He IS. His Knowledge is identical with the Divine Essence just as is His Love.

Lord have mercy

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

patrissimo wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 pm
Grandfather wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

No, I wouldn't be claiming to be omniscient because I would be aware of my ignorance. For the same reason, a "God" who is not knowing and comes to know is not omniscient. God's Knowledge is not something has HAS but rather what He IS. His Knowledge is identical with the Divine Essence just as is His Love.

I believe we are in agreement. God knows all, he does not "come to know" anything as I have shown by several verses. Thus any passage suggesting that God "comes to know" something must be re-examined in the larger context of what the passage is attempting to reveal.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:07 pm
patrissimo wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 pm
Grandfather wrote:
patrissimo wrote:

I believe we are in agreement. God knows all, he does not "come to know" anything as I have shown by several verses. Thus any passage suggesting that God "comes to know" something must be re-examined in the larger context of what the passage is attempting to reveal.
Why not say: "Thus any passage suggesting that God "does NOT come to know" something must be re-examined in the larger context of what the passage is attempting to reveal?"

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:56 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Thus any passage suggesting that God "comes to know" something must be re-examined in the larger context of what the passage is attempting to reveal.
Why not say: "Thus any passage suggesting that God "does NOT come to know" something must be re-examined in the larger context of what the passage is attempting to reveal?"
The first is based on the premise that God is all knowing. The second is based on the premise that God is still learning things. Both approach the same subject, both require the passage to be reexamined.

I find there is more evidence that God is all-knowing and does not need to learn. I find it easier to understand the passages of stating God is learning something in a greater context easily explained.

If you find there is more evidence that God is still learning, thus not all-knowing, and can easily explain the passages where God claims to know everything, then more power to you. I find that attempting to do so requires all sorts of twists, turns, and dodges, that cannot be consistently applied throughout scripture. In other words, it doesn’t work for me. But, then I am not the one that believes God is learning, that God is not all-present, nor all-powerful. Truthful that type of being is not what I would call a deity.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:27 pm
bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
Thus any passage suggesting that God "comes to know" something must be re-examined in the larger context of what the passage is attempting to reveal.
The first is based on the premise that God is all knowing. The second is based on the premise that God is still learning things. Both approach the same subject, both require the passage to be reexamined.

I find there is more evidence that God is all-knowing and does not need to learn. I find it easier to understand the passages of stating God is learning something in a greater context easily explained.

If you find there is more evidence that God is still learning, thus not all-knowing, and can easily explain the passages where God claims to know everything, then more power to you. I find that attempting to do so requires all sorts of twists, turns, and dodges, that cannot be consistently applied throughout scripture. In other words, it doesn’t work for me. But, then I am not the one that believes God is learning, that God is not all-present, nor all-powerful. Truthful that type of being is not what I would call a deity.
Well you are welcome to have your opinion.

And of course we can believe the many places in the Bible that tell us of the nature of God without the input from liberal theologians.

God bless
Leon Bible

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

bibleman wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:04 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:27 pm
bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:

Well you are welcome to have your opinion.

And of course we can believe the many places in the Bible that tell us of the nature of God without the input from liberal theologians.
:angel: :angel: :angel:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?