Dake Bible Discussion BoardEssentials of the Christian faith

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Essentials of the Christian faith

Post by Grandfather »

What are the essentials?

Augustine is said to have stated:”In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity”

C.S. Lewis wrote: “One of the things that Christians are disagreed about is the importance of their disagreements. When two Christians of different denominations start arguing, it is usually not long before one asks where such-and-such a point ‘really matters’ and the other replies: ‘Matters? Why it’s absolutely essential”

What do you consider essential for the Christian faith? What are some of the non-essentials?

Grandfather

Re: Essentials of the Christian faith

Post by Grandfather »

I’ll start... the essentials

An orthodox view of Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
The virgin birth
The death, burial, resurrection and assecention of Jesus Christ.
A orthodox understand of Jesus Christ as savior
Understanding the personhood of the Holy Spirit - he is not a “force”
The fallen nature of mankind (human kind if we are to be pc)
The reliablity of the Holy Scriptures to reveal the above

There may be others, but these are the starting point.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:52 pm
What are the essentials?

Augustine is said to have stated:”In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity”

C.S. Lewis wrote: “One of the things that Christians are disagreed about is the importance of their disagreements. When two Christians of different denominations start arguing, it is usually not long before one asks where such-and-such a point ‘really matters’ and the other replies: ‘Matters? Why it’s absolutely essential”

What do you consider essential for the Christian faith? What are some of the non-essentials?
I don't particularly care what Augustine or C.S. Lewis stated and wrote! The Holy Word of God as "It is written," is all that matters to me.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Ironman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:35 pm
Grandfather wrote:
What are the essentials?

I don't particularly care what Augustine or C.S. Lewis stated and wrote! The Holy Word of God as "It is written," is all that matters to me.
I agree....

I would CHANGE two of Grandpa's list items like this:

A BIBLICAL view of Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
A BIBLICAL understand of Jesus Christ as savior

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 pm
Ironman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
What are the essentials?

I agree....

I may agree with you, can you explain the difference between orthodox and biblical for me.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Ironman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
What are the essentials?

I would be willing to suggest that many of your beliefs were founded in Augustine's explanation of the core tenants of biblical belief.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 pm
bibleman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 pm
Ironman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
What are the essentials?

I agree....

I may agree with you, can you explain the difference between orthodox and biblical for me.
Well as you may know orthodox is what is traditionally accepted as true as has been put forth by the church over the ages.

Biblical of course is that which aligns with clear Bible statements as give in the Bible itself.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:21 pm

Well as you may know orthodox is what is traditionally accepted as true as has been put forth by the church over the ages.

Biblical of course is that which aligns with clear Bible statements as give in the Bible itself.
I am puzzeled. Are there some tradionally held orthodox beliefs that you believe do not line up with scripture?

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 pm
Ironman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
What are the essentials?

I would be willing to suggest that many of your beliefs were founded in Augustine's explanation of the core tenants of biblical belief.
I don't care what you suggest. My beliefs are founded upon the Holy Word of God, not upon the words of men. I read the Word of God and I believe what I read. It took me some time to unlearn all the garbage men loaded me up with. Now that I am free from it all, I will never return to contrary teaching.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 pm
bibleman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:21 pm

I am puzzeled. Are there some tradionally held orthodox beliefs that you believe do not line up with scripture?
In the Orthodox church tradition, eggs are a symbol of new life. Early Christians used eggs to symbolize the resurrection of Jesus Christ and the regeneration of believers. At Easter, eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Jesus that was shed on the cross for the redemption of all men. Easter eggs come from some kind of springtime pagan fertility practice not from the Word of God.