Dake Bible Discussion BoardEarth = Dry Land proves a Pre-Adamite World

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
bibleman
Administrator

Re: Earth -- Dry Land

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:38 pm
bibleman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:52 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 pm
bibleman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:04 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:52 pm
bibleman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:40 pm
Gen 1:2 say the earth..... little “e”
Gen 1:10 God called the dry land Earth... big “E”

While they may the be same hebrew word, it can mean different things.

I know a lady named May, I meet her in the month of May, when I said: “May I help you”

The same word, three times, each with a different meaning.

A quick review of the word shows it may mean.
the earth as a whole
the earth as opposed to heaven
the earth inhabitant.

Or land
country or territory
district or region
tribal territory
But one thing we know for sure.... it meant what the Bible said it meant in verse 10 - "dry land."
Hmmmm. All of those are how it is used in the Bible.
What did verse 10 say Earth was?
In vs 10- dry land.
But in vs 2? It’s not so clear which was your original assertion.
What you are missing is that in verse 2 the earth BECAME....
Which version is that?
The one Moses spoke it in!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:38 pm
bibleman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:52 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 pm
bibleman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:04 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:52 pm
bibleman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:51 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:40 pm
Gen 1:2 say the earth..... little “e”
Gen 1:10 God called the dry land Earth... big “E”

While they may the be same hebrew word, it can mean different things.

I know a lady named May, I meet her in the month of May, when I said: “May I help you”

The same word, three times, each with a different meaning.

A quick review of the word shows it may mean.
the earth as a whole
the earth as opposed to heaven
the earth inhabitant.

Or land
country or territory
district or region
tribal territory
But one thing we know for sure.... it meant what the Bible said it meant in verse 10 - "dry land."
Hmmmm. All of those are how it is used in the Bible.
What did verse 10 say Earth was?
In vs 10- dry land.
But in vs 2? It’s not so clear which was your original assertion.
What you are missing is that in verse 2 the earth BECAME....
Which version is that?
The term “without form, and void” is preceded by the Hebrew word ha-ye-ta, which has been translate “was.” There is some evidence that ha-ye-ta could also be correctly translated as “became.”

It is interesting that those who have an agenda to prove that verse 2 of Genesis Chapter 1 is a part of the first verse—always translate hayeta as “was.” While at the same time they translate Genesis 19:26—where Lot’s wife turns back to look at Sodom—they translate hayeta as “became” (a pillar of salt). Both Genesis 1:2 and Genesis 19:6 use the same Hebrew word: hayeta; yet, one is translated “was” and the other, “became.”

https://robertcliftonrobinson.com/2014/ ... 0of%20salt.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

Ironman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:06 pm
The term “without form, and void” is preceded by the Hebrew word ha-ye-ta, which has been translate “was.” There is some evidence that ha-ye-ta could also be correctly translated as “became.”

It is interesting that those who have an agenda to prove that verse 2 of Genesis Chapter 1 is a part of the first verse—always translate hayeta as “was.” While at the same time they translate Genesis 19:26—where Lot’s wife turns back to look at Sodom—they translate hayeta as “became” (a pillar of salt). Both Genesis 1:2 and Genesis 19:6 use the same Hebrew word: hayeta; yet, one is translated “was” and the other, “became.”

https://robertcliftonrobinson.com/2014/ ... 0of%20salt.
"There is some evidence...."

There are a couple of questions that arise from this statement.

1 - This may be - however, the fact that the KJV, CEV, NIV, ESV, AMP, HCSB, and countless others do not translate it "became" but instead use "was."

2 - If we allow for random "re-translating" to fit a particular theological notion simple because someone, somewhere finds a way to claim "there is some evidence," where does one draw the line and say, "NO, you are not re-writing scripture to support your point of view."

3 - If we adhere to the literal reading... the earth was... there is no need to assume.. the earth became.... because it literally requires we take items in the order they are presented to us. There is no reason to read this "became" until later when once attempt to make a "gap" between vs. 1 and 2 in order to accommodate all that theoretically occurs within this gap.

And I feel the need to reiterate something I said earlier. I am not a young earth proponent; I am just pointing out some of the problems with the "old earth" position.

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

"There is some evidence that ha-ye-ta could also be correctly translated as “became.”

In the KJV this word has been translated as:
was, come to pass, came, has been, were happened, become, pertained, better for thee.

So, it is best not to "cherry pick" what it means to suit a particular doctrine.