Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe young man

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Bible Reader
Zechariah

Re: The young man

Post by Bible Reader »

Is his name important or is the fact he was close to Jesus but when the adversary came on he scene he was scared to death. So scared he ran out of his clothes to get away. In other words he was willing to suffer the humiliation of nudity then to be associated with Jesus at this time.

Bible Basics
Proverbs

Post by Bible Basics »

Bible Reader wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:44 pm
In other words he was willing to suffer the humiliation of nudity then to be associated with Jesus at this time.
Ouch!

Good point!

Bible Basics

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Post by macca »

Mark. 14:51-52;
And there followed Him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body;
and the young men laid hold on him:
And he left the linen cloth and fled from them naked.

The key to understanding what is happening here is the word 'linen' (Sindon)
It is only found here and in Mark, 15:46; twice..
And they bought fine linen, and took Jesus's body down, and wrapped Him in the linen, and laid Him in a sepulchre.

And in Matthew.27:59;
And when Joseph had taken the body of Jesus, he wrapped it in clean linen cloth.

And in Luke 23:53;
And Joseph took the body of Jesus down, and wrapped it in linen.

What the young man was waring was his grave clothes. For where Jesus was praying in the garden was very close
to a cemetery and when the multitude (well over 600 men) came with Judas to arrest Jesus, Jesus asked,
Whom do you seek?
They answered Him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said to them, I Am.
And they all went backwards and fell on the ground.

There was enough power in those two words of Jesus to not only knock down over 600 men but also
to raise the young man from the dead....
The young man knew it was Jesus who had raised him and wanted to thank Jesus and worship Him,
that is why he was there in grave clothes alive and well.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Wow Macca, Thank you so much!

Can I use this if necessary one day??

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

macca

Post by macca »

Ironman wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:22 am

Sure can brother.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

That is very interesting.I have never heard of that.It sounds proper.
Ironman wrote:

Last edited by branham1965 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

branham1965 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:44 am
That is very interesting.I have never heard of that.It sounds proper.
Ironman wrote:

To be fair, this concept is based on loose speculation. A good portion of it stems from the use of the word to describe the linen cloth. If my memory is correct that word is only used one other place in scripture and that is to describe the burial cloth for Jesus. While scholar will acknowledge this, they will also point to other manuscripts of the time to show the use of the word for other pieces of cloth.

Second, while there are tombs in the general area, they are not so close to the Garden that one may shout from one to the other. This is due in part to the Jewish customs of treating the dead and how something becomes “unclean” when it has contact with the dead.

So, while the story make for great speculation and provides a wonderful illustration of the power of the Lord, it is generally consider just that, a story, and not generally assumed as factual.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:32 pm
And there followed Him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body;

And they bought fine linen, and took Jesus's body down, and wrapped Him in the linen, and laid Him in a sepulchre.

And when Joseph had taken the body of Jesus, he wrapped it in clean linen cloth.

What the young man was waring was his grave clothes. For where Jesus was praying in the garden was very close
to a cemetery and when the multitude (well over 600 men) came with Judas to arrest Jesus, Jesus asked,
Whom do you seek?

There was enough power in those two words of Jesus to not only knock down over 600 men but also
The young man knew it was Jesus who had raised him and wanted to thank Jesus and worship Him,
Man is given permission to believe anything they want, I guess.
But without scriptural back-up, those beliefs are only just that...personal beliefs.
I don't buy into your thesis.

macca

Post by macca »

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:28 pm
macca wrote:

Whom do you seek?

But without scriptural back-up, those beliefs are only just that...personal beliefs.

Scriptural backup?????? Where is yours????

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

macca wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:50 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:28 pm
macca wrote:

Whom do you seek?

Scriptural backup?????? Where is yours????
The burden of proof in any argument is on the one making the claim. It is up to you to prove what you have said is true. It is upon the hearer to question and examines the proof of the claim.

So, you posted the claim. I suggested it was speculation and posted some evidence to disprove it. Hilltop also states you are entitled to believe whatever you want, but you have no scriptural evidence to back it up and hence it was your personal belief.

So, where is your evidence for making this claim?
Where is your evidence this young man rose from the dead. (chapter and verse that identifies him)
Where is your evidence that he was even in a graveyard or tomb? (chapter and verse that state that)
For. that matter where is your evidence of a tomb being nearby? (chapter and verse, or archaeology discovery that supports the actual Garden and the Tomb at the time of Christ) - btw, I don't know of any evidence of the actual Garden, but I do know they speculate about it. "Though the exact location of Gethsemane cannot be determined with certainty.....churches have accepted an olive grove, "
When scripture identifies the cohort that went to arrest Jesus, there is nothing in that text that presumes the entire cohort (the 600 men) went. What is your basis for assuming the entire cohort was there? (chapter and verse)

Now, is your tale possible? Indeed I won't deny it is possible. In fact, I will acknowledge your story is not anti-biblical. But as good as it is, as "preachable" as the lesson is, the story is not something that can be validated as factual by scripture. If you want to believe your tale, do so, I see no harm in that. The only harm would be declaring it as FACT when there is nothing to support it as such.