Dake Bible Discussion BoardGod changes not.

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

God changes not.

Post by luchnia »

Thinking along the lines of how people pull scripture out of context to make it mean something different, the thought of God changes not comes to mind. There are a number of verses that would give the impression that God cannot change, or does not change, however there are scriptures where God did change.

The question then becomes how does not God not change and how does God change? Even the writer of Hebrews states, Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever, yet Jesus wasn't the same every day and He changed in a lot of ways. He even grew in favor with God and man. Growing is changing.

Remember in Malachi where the verse states, "I am the Lord, I do not change..."? There are quite a number of verses that indicate God changed his mind or was considering it. That means at least that God changes His mind, or can change His mind and does when certain conditions are met.

God even gave conditions on what some could do and He would change His position concerning them and did when they conformed. What is the concept of God doesn't change really mean? I think the challenge here is again taking scripture out of context and making a doctrine that is in error come from it. Even satan misquoted God's word in order to trick Jesus, of course we know that did not work.

What are your thoughts on how God changes, verses how God does not change?

Word up!

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: God changes not.

Post by Grandfather »

It could be that any change someone perceives in God is due to their understanding of Him. Consider this, if God is capable of change, then salvation is never secure in the promise of God because He could change.

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Re: God changes not.

Post by macca »

James. 1:16-17;
Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.
Every good gift and every perfect is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights,
with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

You either believe what is written or stumble over your own understanding.