Dake Bible Discussion BoardRising above a narrow view - wisdom of God

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Rising above a narrow view - wisdom of God

Post by luchnia »

Over my approximately 45 year journey of God's word I have grown in many ways and in some ways much less. One area that is of much value is rising above the narrow views I once held. I was, and am, an avid student of God's word spending hours upon hours in study although not as much today as I used to.

What do I mean by rising above the narrow view? The way our minds work through our perception shapes what we learn through the scripture, yet do we learn the knowledge of the truth that is critical to us because of that narrow view we may have? Take for example a simple understanding of the time periods in which certain things occurred, or the way certain things happened because of the culture at that time, or how the culture shaped people.

We tend to force our current culture and form a "mindset" of what scripture ought to say to us, yet is that what it actually means? I spent a lot of years simply learning scripture, however I was notorious for taking it out of context or out of concept. I was a one or two text wonder for the most part. I am sensitive to seeing that problem now.

The same sensitivity exist with knowing that others perceive a matter a certain way as growing to understand how my perception affects my understand, or maybe how being around certain people affects one's perception and taints their understanding. I quickly see how another person's perception and influence affects their complete understanding.

In my opinion, I think if we don't rise above the narrow views we can often hold, we miss out on much of the great value and wisdom of God. In many cases we are in error and think we have a lock on the truth. I think Paul was truly tuned in to this and we should be as well. A narrow mindset is like having blinders on.

I am curious as to whether you think this affects you and your understanding, or do you really consider this aspect when approaching a topic?

Word up!

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: Rising above a narrow view - wisdom of God

Post by Grandfather »

What would you say about the narrow view toward entering into the Kingdom of God? Are we to rise above that as well?

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:43 am
What would you say about the narrow view toward entering into the Kingdom of God? Are we to rise above that as well?
In my way of thinking, to answer that question would require the knowledge of what a person's narrow view is? What is meant by narrow view toward entering the kingdom of God? How do you define it?

I know you and I disagree with HT on what it takes to enter the kingdom of God. He thinks water is required based on his view of scripture, whereas I disagree with that view, and I think from your various posts you disagree with that view as well.

Word up!

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

luchnia wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:22 pm
Grandfather wrote:
In my way of thinking, to answer that question would require the knowledge of what a person's narrow view is? What is meant by narrow view toward entering the kingdom of God? How do you define it?

I know you and I disagree with HT on what it takes to enter the kingdom of God. He thinks water is required based on his view of scripture, whereas I disagree with that view, and I think from your various posts you disagree with that view as well.
I'm sorry, but you may have misunderstood my meaning. Yes, I believe that you and I have more in common theologically than I do with the other posters. But that was not my intention of the question I posed.

I was poking at the "narrow" view of things that was suggested we rise above. We must be careful how we just words and how others perceive or even purposely distort what we mean.

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:51 pm
luchnia wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:22 pm
Grandfather wrote:

I'm sorry, but you may have misunderstood my meaning. Yes, I believe that you and I have more in common theologically than I do with the other posters. But that was not my intention of the question I posed.

I was poking at the "narrow" view of things that was suggested we rise above. We must be careful how we just words and how others perceive or even purposely distort what we mean.
Oh yes, I understand what you mean. I agree about the way we use words and on a forum such as this is it really hard because it is typed word and not spoken. Sometimes it can be very difficult to understand what someone means by simply reading the text, at least for me it can be and I am sure reading my text can be challenging :)

Word up!