Dake Bible Discussion BoardWords mean something.

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Words mean something.

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:26 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:06 pm
Agreed.

P.S. I, also agree that both the Calvinists and Arminians are right about some things and wrong about others.
Do their errors on some things invalidate them in total?
For me, their error cuts them off entirely.
It is senseless to seek truth among liars.

I am not Calvinist or Arminian but, I do not agree with your theology Hill Top....so does that make me a liar? Along with all others on this board?
No.
Do you think I'm a liar?

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Hill Top wrote:
Agreed.

P.S. I, also agree that both the Calvinists and Arminians are right about some things and wrong about others.
No. Their errors do not invalidate them in total.

As to seeking the truth among liars... Paul found it amongst them. See Titus 1:12.

"In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him."
— St. Peter the Apostle, Acts 10:34-35 New King James Version

| Are You a Good Person? | Save Yourself Some Pain | Hell's Best Kept Secret |
| True & False Conversion | School of Biblical Evangelism | Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God |

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Preach it mate macca +bigshoes
macca wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:26 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Agreed.

I am not Calvinist or Arminian but, I do not agree with your theology Hill Top....so does that make me a liar? Along with all others on this board?

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Agreed.

Even a stop clock is right twice today.
I was reading through the various posts and something caught my eye and I would bet you have noticed it quite a few times. Word definition, context, and comprehension - even statements making different words mean the same thing when they do not. This causes a lot of confusion in replies as often it is not understood what someone is implying.

Notice the post you are responding to indicating because someone is in error they are somehow liars. There are two basic assumptions there - they are in error and because of that they are liars.

The problem is that stating someone is in error does not make them a liar, yet someone's error can be from a lie, or someone can be a liar, and so on.

Word up!

macca
He Which Soweth Bountifully Shall Reap Also Bountifully

Post by macca »

Well we could say that a lot of headings in bible chapters are outright lies as well.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:06 am
Hill Top wrote:
Agreed.

As to seeking the truth among liars... Paul found it amongst them. See Titus 1:12.
Good catch!
Of course, Paul's words affirming the "saying", is what makes it true...to me.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:15 am
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Agreed.

Even a stop clock is right twice today.
I was reading through the various posts and something caught my eye and I would bet you have noticed it quite a few times. Word definition, context, and comprehension - even statements making different words mean the same thing when they do not. This causes a lot of confusion in replies as often it is not understood what someone is implying.

Notice the post you are responding to indicating because someone is in error they are somehow liars. There are two basic assumptions there - they are in error and because of that they are liars.

The problem is that stating someone is in error does not make them a liar, yet someone's error can be from a lie, or someone can be a liar, and so on.
In relation to my post, they are liars because they teach false doctrines that are lies.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:11 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 am
Seek to understand what they other side is saying. Words mean something and if you cannot clarify the words YOU are speaking, do not expect others to understand what you are saying.
This is a great point, yet seeking to understand what the other side is saying can be extremely challenging on these discussion forums because they lack so much without speaking to each other. We do our best, however I think we fall extremely short in this area.
It is especially hard to understand posts with no punctuation...sometimes.

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:03 pm
luchnia wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:11 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 am
Seek to understand what they other side is saying. Words mean something and if you cannot clarify the words YOU are speaking, do not expect others to understand what you are saying.
This is a great point, yet seeking to understand what the other side is saying can be extremely challenging on these discussion forums because they lack so much without speaking to each other. We do our best, however I think we fall extremely short in this area.
It is especially hard to understand posts with no punctuation...sometimes.
Yes, agreed. No punctuation is very difficult.

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Hill Top wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:06 am
Hill Top wrote:
Agreed.

Good catch!
Of course, Paul's words affirming the "saying", is what makes it true...to me.
Are you saying that the saying would not have been true if Paul hadn't affirmed it?
If so, that is very strange.

"In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him."
— St. Peter the Apostle, Acts 10:34-35 New King James Version

| Are You a Good Person? | Save Yourself Some Pain | Hell's Best Kept Secret |
| True & False Conversion | School of Biblical Evangelism | Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God |