Dake Bible Discussion BoardWords mean something.

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
No Plague Shall Come Nigh Them that Make the Lord Their Habitation

Words mean something.

Post by Grandfather »

Just this week (10/17/2020) America saw the redefining of the phrase "sexual preference" from what was a neutral way to express the sexual orientation of people, to becoming an offensive term. He who controls the language controls the conversation. He who controls the conversation controls the agenda.

Okay, now that I have your attention, look back over several threads on this forum. What you will notice is that participants here either will not or can not come to an agreement on basic terms. In one thread I attempted to find agreement on the biblical truth that God is Light and God is Love. The response was something that would make those that hold a post-modern, securalist, relativist worldview proud. In another thread I tried to reference "saved" people. Again, a response of how some aren't saved, good fruit/bad fruit, etc. In the thread on TRUTH there is a dispute over "belief" and "born again" when it is apparent that the poster using "belief" was referencing those that became "born again"

In any conversation if you can agree to the meaning of words then there is no exchange of ideas. I am concerned about what I see here. What I've read from some appears to be the thoughts of someone that is afraid to really examine their beliefs for fear they might need some slight adjustment. What I do know is there are many areas that are still outside of the human range of understanding. We might come close to expressing them, but they are still not fully accurate. It is like eating some strange meat and saying it tastes "sort of like chicken", it gets an idea across but is still inaccurate. For example the Calvist - Arminan debate. Both sides make valid points from scripture. Both sides make valid counter arguments from scripture. Could it be that both side are partially correct and partially wrong?

Seek to understand what they other side is saying. Words mean something and if you cannot clarify the words YOU are speaking, do not expect others to understand what you are saying.

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: Words mean something.

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Agreed.

P.S. I, also agree that both the Calvinists and Arminians are right about some things and wrong about others.

Genesis 6:8 New King James Version
... Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Have you found grace in the eyes of the Lord?
Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion
School of Biblical Evangelism

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

If we do NOT accept basic Hebrew and Greek definitions and of course Webster on the English language... there can be no conversation.

I love what Dake use to say. "I am just going to give you the Scripture and let it go at that!"

PS - When are we going to get into a discussion of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :silly: LOL

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:47 pm
If we do NOT accept basic Hebrew and Greek definitions and of course Webster on the English language... there can be no conversation.

I love what Dake use to say. "I am just going to give you the Scripture and let it go at that!"

PS - When are we going to get into a discussion of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :silly: LOL
Dictionary definitions, it is why I started the post with "sexual preference". Literally overnight it became an offensive term.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:06 pm
Agreed.

P.S. I, also agree that both the Calvinists and Arminians are right about some things and wrong about others.
Catch this... I think they are not only right about some things and wrong about others, I believe they are right and wrong about the same things at times.

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 am
Seek to understand what they other side is saying. Words mean something and if you cannot clarify the words YOU are speaking, do not expect others to understand what you are saying.
This is a great point, yet seeking to understand what the other side is saying can be extremely challenging on these discussion forums because they lack so much without speaking to each other. We do our best, however I think we fall extremely short in this area.

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:14 pm
Agreed.

Catch this... I think they are not only right about some things and wrong about others, I believe they are right and wrong about the same things at times.
I can see that. But, getting people to agree about where they are both wrong or right might be a challenge, too. Especially, when we have to start by agreeing upon definitions of basic terms. What happened at Babel certainly worked.

Also, a lot of people may not know that all Arminians are Calvinists. Arminius was the Flower of Calvinism and one of its strongest teachers. His positions are a subset of Calvinism.

Genesis 6:8 New King James Version
... Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Have you found grace in the eyes of the Lord?
Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion
School of Biblical Evangelism

Hill Top
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Hill Top »

Agreed.

Do their errors on some things invalidate them in total?
For me, their error cuts them off entirely.
It is senseless to seek truth among liars.

macca
He that will Love Life, and See Good Days, Let Him Refrain His Lips from Guile

Post by macca »

Hill Top wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm
Agreed.

I am not Calvinist or Arminian but, I do not agree with your theology Hill Top....so does that make me a liar? Along with all others on this board?

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Hill Top wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 pm
Agreed.

Even a stop clock is right twice today.