Dake Bible Discussion BoardKJV or NKJV - why NOT?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: KJV or NKJV - why NOT?

Post by branham1965 »

Cool posts Dan. :angel:

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

DanW wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:05 am
2Tim. 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Good example that was brought up. I don't know if any other translation uses "study" as the King James does. The word means to make haste, to be diligent, or to do ones best. Numerous Greek Lexicons bear this out. Gordon Fee, a noted Assembly of God theologian says, "Timothy is to do his best (Gk., spoudason; cf. 4:9, 21; Titus 3:12; the KJV translation, “study,” has misled generations of English–speaking Christians)."-New International Biblical Commentary

Why did the KJV use study? Maybe because the latter end of the verse talks about handling God's Word. Maybe "study" implied more than look at books 400 years ago in England. I don't know.
Thanks for the posts.

In my opinion, the primary concept of due diligence is there in the way I understand study providing work that one would not be ashamed of. I am sure people define study in different ways. I often wonder just how many are unapproved of God, nor even "present themselves" in the manner written in this text.

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

luchnia wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:13 pm
DanW wrote:
2Tim. 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Good example that was brought up. I don't know if any other translation uses "study" as the King James does. The word means to make haste, to be diligent, or to do ones best. Numerous Greek Lexicons bear this out. Gordon Fee, a noted Assembly of God theologian says, "Timothy is to do his best (Gk., spoudason; cf. 4:9, 21; Titus 3:12; the KJV translation, “study,” has misled generations of English–speaking Christians)."-New International Biblical Commentary

Why did the KJV use study? Maybe because the latter end of the verse talks about handling God's Word. Maybe "study" implied more than look at books 400 years ago in England. I don't know.
Thanks for the posts.

In my opinion, the primary concept of due diligence is there in the way I understand study providing work that one would not be ashamed of. I am sure people define study in different ways. I often wonder just how many are unapproved of God, nor even "present themselves" in the manner written in this text.
I thought this helps in understand "study."
The apostle Paul wrote to the evangelist Timothy, Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

This verse well-illustrates the need for understanding that word meanings may change, and we must be ever on guard against misapplying or twisting scripture, even when we try to teach the truth. The rendering, study to show thyself approved unto God is found only in the King James Version, translated in the year 1611. In 1611 the word study meant strive, or be diligent. Thus the New American Standard Bible renders the verse, Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. The New International Version renders the verse, Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Bible study is very important, but 2 Timothy 2:15 is not just a command to study the Bible. Being an approved workman involves much more. Paul wanted Timothy to understand that to be a workman that God could approve, he would have to be diligent in his service to God. God is not the kind of Master that accepts shoddy work! By earnestly applying himself in service, Timothy would not need to be ashamed as he stood before God in the day of judgment. To be that diligent, approved workman, he would have to correctly handle the word of truth, what the King James Version renders, rightly dividing the word of truth. Of necessity, correctly handling the Bible, the word of truth will involve much study, contemplation, and prayer. It will involve bringing an open mind, an open heart, and a faithful life to the word of truth. Implied in the correct handling is the proper understanding of the divisions between the Old and the New Covenants, understanding that the New Testament is the rule of faith and practice for Christians today.

The goal of being an approved workman should be the goal of all of God’s children. In the verses immediately before 2 Timothy 2:15, Paul stressed the importance of living faithfully before God, even to the point of suffering. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us (2 Timothy 2:12). He then told Timothy, Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers (2 Timothy 2:14). The evangelist Timothy was to remind his hearers of the sacrifice of Christ, the need for serving Him, and the need to work diligently to be approved workmen before God. The diligent application of all our energy to the service of God will allow us to join Timothy standing before God without shame. Nothing will help us more to please God than to handle carefully and correctly God’s written word. We should look to the written word of God with the same reverence as the psalmist who wrote, Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105).
https://housetohouse.com/what-does-it-m ... -unto-god/

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I just saw Reverend Dake say that he gave verses that he had never read.

He said that he had a supernatural divine Holy Ghost gift to do this.

He said all were in the KJV.

When Brother Branham manifested his gifts by the Lord

Gordon Lindsay,Lester Sumrall,T.LOsborn and other proven ministers were with him.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

I meant to say that these leaders all used the KJV.

branham1965 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:06 pm

Gordon Lindsay,Lester Sumrall,T.LOsborn and other proven ministers were with him.

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

bibleman wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:41 pm
luchnia wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:13 pm
DanW wrote:

Thanks for the posts.

I thought this helps in understand "study."
The apostle Paul wrote to the evangelist Timothy, Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

This verse well-illustrates the need for understanding that word meanings may change, and we must be ever on guard against misapplying or twisting scripture, even when we try to teach the truth. The rendering, study to show thyself approved unto God is found only in the King James Version, translated in the year 1611. In 1611 the word study meant strive, or be diligent. Thus the New American Standard Bible renders the verse, Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. The New International Version renders the verse, Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Bible study is very important, but 2 Timothy 2:15 is not just a command to study the Bible. Being an approved workman involves much more. Paul wanted Timothy to understand that to be a workman that God could approve, he would have to be diligent in his service to God. God is not the kind of Master that accepts shoddy work! By earnestly applying himself in service, Timothy would not need to be ashamed as he stood before God in the day of judgment. To be that diligent, approved workman, he would have to correctly handle the word of truth, what the King James Version renders, rightly dividing the word of truth. Of necessity, correctly handling the Bible, the word of truth will involve much study, contemplation, and prayer. It will involve bringing an open mind, an open heart, and a faithful life to the word of truth. Implied in the correct handling is the proper understanding of the divisions between the Old and the New Covenants, understanding that the New Testament is the rule of faith and practice for Christians today.

The goal of being an approved workman should be the goal of all of God’s children. In the verses immediately before 2 Timothy 2:15, Paul stressed the importance of living faithfully before God, even to the point of suffering. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us (2 Timothy 2:12). He then told Timothy, Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers (2 Timothy 2:14). The evangelist Timothy was to remind his hearers of the sacrifice of Christ, the need for serving Him, and the need to work diligently to be approved workmen before God. The diligent application of all our energy to the service of God will allow us to join Timothy standing before God without shame. Nothing will help us more to please God than to handle carefully and correctly God’s written word. We should look to the written word of God with the same reverence as the psalmist who wrote, Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105).
https://housetohouse.com/what-does-it-m ... -unto-god/

Thanks Leon

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

branham1965 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:16 am
I meant to say that these leaders all used the KJV.

branham1965 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:06 pm

Well actually they did BUT....

Dake use the KJV of course but many other translations as well.

Now All of Gordon Lindsay study guides are being produced in the NKJV.

And TL Osborn - from the 1960's on... used many many different versions of Scripture.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

I have found that no one translation corners the market for me. Language is a wonderful thing there are nuances and inflections that are often lost, or lose effectiveness when removed from the original language, author, and audience. Even the use of the same words carries different weight when used with a different audience. One may express something one way in front of their family, and would use different words and inflections in a larger audience.

With that in mind I used a variety of translations. I’m thankful for the many e-versions of scripture that allow parallel viewing. Seldom do I only use one version for study. I like to see if other versions bring out those nuances I mentioned previously. Plus, I personally read it a little “fresher” if I read it in a new version. How many times has a preacher asked the congregation to turn to a particular passage, a passage you know by heart. Too many times a person says to themselves they “know” that passage, they recall all the sermons that have mentioned it. Heck, they can cross reference it to several other passages without looking at the their notes. Unknowingly they have turned off the power of the Holy Spirit to give them fresh insight, a different perspective. Reading in different versions allow for this. (This is not to say that every difference is a god inspired one, but those with open minds will understand what I am saying)

The power of the scripture is not in the language. I find it interesting we are discussing this in English, is the Spanish version equally as good, the German one? How about French, Japanese? Why is the English version the correct one? Wouldn’t it be better if we all knew Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic? People have shown the differences in the KJV vs some other translation, but how about the difference between the English KJV and those KJV in other languages. OH..... don’t get hung up on the language/translations. It is the Holy Spirit that leads and guides into all truth, not the version of the Bible you are reading.