Dake Bible Discussion BoardQuestion on the gift of tongues

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
Whosoever shall Give to Drink unto One of These Little Ones a Cup of Cold Water Only in the Name of a Disciple, He shall in No Wise Lose His Reward

Question on the gift of tongues

Post by Hill Top »

For any of you that have some of rev Dake's reference material...
What does rev Dake have to say about the gift of tongues?
I'm discussing this topic with a very anti-tongues fellow on another site, and would like to know rev Dake's, and your thoughts on the matter.

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: Question on the gift of tongues

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Dake has a good bit to say, but it isn't all in one place in his works.

Is it possible to be more specific?

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Hill Top
Whosoever shall Give to Drink unto One of These Little Ones a Cup of Cold Water Only in the Name of a Disciple, He shall in No Wise Lose His Reward

Post by Hill Top »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:26 pm
Dake has a good bit to say, but it isn't all in one place in his works.

Is it possible to be more specific?
I'm debating with a man who says that all "tongue" speaking is in foreign languages, not angelic language....
I feel it can be either.

...And that it is us speaking and not Gods Spirit within us doing the speaking.
He posts..."I'm having trouble seeing how Scripture teaches the idea that there is such a thing as praying in tongues as some sort of private prayer language where Christians speak non-sensical syllables that is the result of the Holy Spirit."

Comments?

Spiritblade Disciple

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:35 pm
I'm debating with a man who says that all "tongue" speaking is in foreign languages, not angelic language....
I feel it can be either.
Dake agrees.
His notes on 1st Corinthians 13:1 say that the verse "suggests that those who speak with tongues could be using earthly and angelic languages" and that "Paul here shows the possibility of exercising gifts in a backslidden condition (1Cor. 13:1-3), as Solomon did (Eccl. 2:9)."

"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Spiritblade Disciple

Hill Top wrote:
It is us speaking and not God speaking.

1 Corinthians 14:14 New King James Version
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

It is the spirit of the person praying or speaking in tongues that is speaking.

Spiritblade Disciple

Hill Top wrote:
He posts..."I'm having trouble seeing how Scripture teaches the idea that there is such a thing as praying in tongues as some sort of private prayer language where Christians speak non-sensical syllables that is the result of the Holy Spirit."
The verse that I posted in the last post does say that the kind of tongues used in prayer is not understood by the one doing the praying. Here it is, again:

We are commanded to pray for the interpretation because we don't understand the tongues that we are praying in.

Here are all of Dake's notes on 1st Corinthians 14:
Chapter 14
Notes For Verse 1
a [Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy] Three things we are to do here:

1. Follow after divine love (note, 1Cor. 13:4).

2. Covet earnestly the gifts (1Cor. 12:31).

3. Covet prophecy more than tongues.

Sixteen Contrasts of Tongues and Prophecy

1. Tongues are spoken to God; prophecy is spoken to teach people (1Cor. 14:2-3).

2. Mysteries or things not understood are spoken in tongues; all things spoken in prophecy are clear (1Cor. 14:3-4).

3. Tongues edify the speaker; prophecy edifies the speaker and others (1Cor. 14:3-4).

4. Tongues enable one to commune with God; prophecy speaks to people to edification, exhortation, and comfort (1Cor. 14:2-4).

5. The prophet is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless the tongues are interpreted and understood (1Cor. 14:5).

6. Tongues are no profit to the public unless interpreted; all prophecy is profitable to the public (1Cor. 14:5-13,27-28).

7. The speaker in tongues must pray for the interpretation; the prophet need not, for his message is in his own tongue (1Cor. 14:3-13).

8. Tongues make one a barbarian to others; prophecy does not (1Cor. 14:3,11).

9. In all gifts the main purpose is to excel in edifying the church (1Cor. 14:12). In this, prophecy is greater than tongues (1Cor. 14:1-6,27-28).

10. The human spirit of the speaker is the thing edified by tongues; prophecy benefits all people (1Cor. 14:1-5,14-15,24-25).

11. Tongues are a great personal blessing, but 5 words of prophecy are more important in public services than 10,000 words in tongues (1Cor. 14:17-19).

12. Tongues are a sign to unbelievers; prophecy to believers (1Cor. 14:21-22).

13. All speaking in tongues at once causes mockery by the unsaved whereas with prophesying the unsaved are convicted of sin (1Cor. 14:23-25).

14. Every gift must be used to edify the church (1Cor. 14:26). Prophecies do this better (1Cor. 14:1-5,23-25).

15. Only one message is allowed in a church service if not interpreted; three messages in prophecy are allowed (1Cor. 14:3,27-31).

16. Three messages in tongues are allowed in any church service if they are interpreted. This many messages in prophecy are always allowed (1Cor. 14:27-32).

Notes For Verse 2
a [he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries] It is clear in Scripture that men have spoken in tongues by the Holy Spirit. It was predicted by Isaiah (Isa. 28:11-12; 1Cor. 14:21); Joel (Joel 2:28-32 with Acts 2:16); and Jesus (Mk. 16:17; Jn. 15:26; 16:13-15). It was fulfilled in Acts 2:4; 10:44-48; 19:1-7; 1Cor. 12:8-10,28-31; 13:1-3; 14:1-40).

Notes For Verse 6
a [Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken?] Question 94-97. Next, 1Cor. 14:15.

Notes For Verse 9
a [easy to be understood] Greek: eusemos (GSN-<G2154>), intelligible. Only here.

Notes For Verse 10
a [kinds of voices] Kinds of languages. All of them are intelligible to those who speak them.

Notes For Verse 13
a [let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret] A command to those who speak in tongues.

Notes For Verse 14
a [For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful] This is Paul's reason for praying for the interpretation. The understanding is unfruitful unless the tongues are interpreted.

Notes For Verse 15
a [What is it then? ... Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?] Questions 98-99. Next, 1Cor. 14:23.

b [I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also] I will pray in tongues or by the Spirit (as in 1Cor. 14:14) and I will pray with the interpretation of my prayer also (1Cor. 14:14-16).

c [spirit, and I will sing with understanding also] I will sing in tongues (as in 1Cor. 14:14) and I will sing with the interpretation of tongues also.

Notes For Verse 16
a [Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?] When you say the blessing in tongues or in the Spirit, how can it be understood? You give thanks in tongues well, but your host is not edified. He does not know whether you curse or bless the food. You must learn to use your gifts rightly and in the proper place.

Notes For Verse 18
a [I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all] Paul boasts of his ability to talk in tongues more than all others of the church, yet says there is a time and place for tongues.

Six times not to speak in tongues:

1. When not impelled by love (1Cor. 13:1-3)

2. When in regular church meetings and no interpreter present (1Cor. 14:5,27-28)

3. When it is time to give truth to the public (1Cor. 14:6-13,19,23-25)

4. When invited to say grace at the table (1Cor. 14:16-17)

5. When the whole church would like to speak in tongues and people are present who would stumble over such action (1Cor. 14:23-25)

6. After two or three messages in tongues have been given and interpreted (1Cor. 14:27)

Notes For Verse 19
a [Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue] This does not belittle tongues or make them unimportant in their place, but it shows that the public will not get as much truth in 10,000 words in a language they cannot understand as they would get from 5 words they could understand.

b [teach others also] This emphasizes the purposes of all gifts and public Christian services. At least 20 out of 40 verses in this chapter emphasize the importance of public good, not the personal display of one's gifts (1Cor. 14:1,3-9,11-13,15-17,19,23-25,26-28,31,40).

Notes For Verse 20
a [be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men] Three stages of human growth mentioned:

1. Greek: nepios (GSN-<G3516>), an infant who cannot yet speak and who knows nothing of sin (the verb nepiazo (GSN-<G3515>) is translated "be ye children" in 1Cor. 14:20)

2. Greek: paidion (GSN-<G3813>), a child beginning in school to receive their first instructions

3. Greek: teleios (GSN-<G5046>), man of mature age and thought; man of growth and understanding

In other words, don't be little school children in understanding. In malice be infants who cannot speak and who know nothing of sin, but in understanding be people of maturity and growth.

Notes For Verse 21
a [law] The law was a term used by Jews to express the whole Scriptures of the law, the prophets, and the psalms (Lk. 24:44; Jn. 10:34; 15:25).

b [written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord] The 5th and last Old Testament prophecy fulfilled in 1Corinthians (1Cor. 14:21; Isa. 28:11-12). This prophecy reveals that God intended over 700 years before Christ to speak to people with stammering lips and other languages.

Notes For Verse 22
a [Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe] This is Paul's explanation of the main purpose of tongues. They are designed as a sign to unbelievers that through their miraculous exercise sinners might see the manifestation of the supernatural (Isa. 28:11-12). Examples of this are found in Acts 2:1-11; 10:44-48; 19:1-7; 1Cor. 14.

Notes For Verse 23
a [will they not say that ye are mad?] Question 100. Next, 1Cor. 14:26. This will naturally be the result of such misuse of tongues. When the mockery began at Pentecost, Peter stopped the 120 from talking in tongues and preached a sermon in his own native tongue which all could understand (Acts 2:11-14).

Notes For Verse 25
a [and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth] The chief end of all gifts and worship services is to bring people to repentance and surrender to God. This is the chief purpose of the death of Christ (Jn. 3:16).

Notes For Verse 26
a [How is it then, brethren?] Question 101. Next, 1Cor. 14:36.

b [when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation] Twenty New Testament church activities:

1. Singing of psalms (Eph. 5; Col. 3)

2. Teaching doctrines (2Tim. 4:2-4; Acts 2:42)

3. Tongues and interpretations (1Cor. 14:27)

4. Prophecies (1Cor. 14:3,24-25,29-30)

5. Exhortations by laymen (Heb. 10:25)

6. The Lord's Supper and a love feast (1Cor. 10:16-17; 11:17-34; Jude 1:12)

7. Scripture reading (Lk. 4:16; Col. 4:16; 1Th. 5:27; 1Tim. 4:13)

8. Prayers (Acts 2:42; 4:24-31; etc.)

9. Exercise of other gifts -- healing, faith, and miracles (Acts 3:6; 5:12-16; 8:5-8; 15:12; 19:11)

10. Exercise of discernment and judgment (Acts 5:1-11; 13:6-11; 1Cor. 5)

11. Reports and business (Acts 4:23; 6:1-7; 11:1-18; 15:1-35)

12. Baptism (Acts 2:41; 8:12; 16:33)

13. Laying on of hands for enduement of the Holy Spirit and gifts (Acts 8:14-19; 9:17-18; 19:1-7; 1Tim. 4:14; 2Tim. 1:6; Heb. 6)

14. Preaching (Acts 2:14; 8:4-5,35; 10:33-44; 1Cor. 1:18-24)

15. Sending missionaries (Acts 13:1-4; 15:36-40; Gal. 2:9-10)

16. Collections (Acts 11:29; 1Cor. 16:2)

17. Disputings (Acts 19:8-10; Gal. 2)

18. Confessions (Acts 19:18; Jas. 5:16)

19. Church trials (Mt. 18:15-18; 1Cor. 5-6; Acts 5-11; Gal. 2:1-14)

20. Addition of members (Acts 2:41)

Notes For Verse 27
a [unknown tongue] There is no word in the Greek for unknown here. No language spoken any place in the universe is actually unknown to the people who speak it. The only sense in which tongues or languages spoken by the ability of the gift of tongues are unknown is that the speaker himself does not know the language or languages which he speaks (1Cor. 14:2).

b [let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret] In public meetings the command is that no more than three messages in tongues should be allowed in any one service, and that, provided they are truly interpreted. The order should be by course with the first message being interpreted before a second, if any, is given. One who thus speaks should pray for the interpretation himself (1Cor. 14:13). Otherwise, his words may be interpreted by another gifted to do so. Even if more than one person speaks the rule is no more than a total of three messages in a single service. After that they must remain silent regardless of how much they seem to be inspired. If there is no interpretation to the first message, they likewise must remain silent (1Cor. 14:27-28,32). These laws concerning the gifts of tongues are to be obeyed as the commandments of God (1Cor. 14:32-33,37-38).

Notes For Verse 29
a [Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge] Prophets are also to speak two or three messages in turn letting others judge whether or not they have spoken truth. Both kinds of messages (tongues and prophecy) are to be judged as to their truth. The basis of judgment is the written revelation of God (Dt. 18:10-12,20; Isa. 8:19-20; Rev. 22:18-19). If any message in tongues or prophecy does not harmonize with the Bible, or does not come to pass, then it is to be judged false and the person said to be speaking by his own spirit (1Cor. 13:1-3; Dt. 13:1-9; 18:20-22; Jer. 23:25-29,32; Ezek. 13:2-3).

Notes For Verse 30
a [If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace] Everything revealed to a person is not a divine revelation. This is why everything must be judged, as in 1Cor. 14:29, note.

Notes For Verse 31
a [all prophesy] Men and women were permitted to prophesy (1Cor. 11:1-16; Acts 2:16-21).

Notes For Verse 32
a [the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets] Among people who have inspirational experiences of prophecy, tongues, and interpretation of tongues, it is very easy for one to claim that the Holy Spirit is moving upon him and that he should not quench the Spirit (1Th. 5:19). This attitude of being determined to obey the Spirit leads to abuse of such gifts many times, causing much confusion in the church. Let no man claim to be moved by the Holy Spirit who acts disorderly and causes confusion, for God is not the author of such (1Cor. 14:32-33).

Notes For Verse 34
a [Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak] This does not contradict the fact that women were free to pray and prophesy in the church (1Cor. 11:5,13; Acts 2:16-21; 21:9; Joel 2:28-32). See 1Cor. 14:35, note.

b [but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law] A reference to Gen. 3:16.

Notes For Verse 35
a [if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church] If they will learn anything, not preach, pray, testify, or prophesy anything. Let them ask their husbands at home and not in the church.

Notes For Verse 36
a [What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?] Questions 102-104. Next, 1Cor. 15:12. Did the Word of God come from you or did it come only to you, that you should have rules and customs different from all other churches? If you have gifts and are spiritual, you will acknowledge these teaching to be true commandments of the Lord and good for you. If you continue in ignorance after receiving these teachings, then remain ignorant (1Cor. 14:36-38).

Notes For Verse 39
a [Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues] In conclusion, three things I command you:

1. Covet to prophesy (note, 1Cor. 14:1).

2. Forbid not to speak with tongues.

3. Let all gifts be exercised lawfully and in order as I have taught you.

Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.
And, here is an interesting note from Dake's Topical Index:
Tongues
Hebrew: laeg (OT:3934), jester; mocker; stammerer. From la(ag (OT:3932), to deride; speak unintelligibly; mock; stammer; laugh. The idea here is that since the drunkards of Judah regarded the messages of the Lord through Isaiah as suitable only for children, He would teach them in a manner they did not like and instruct them through the language of foreigners as a sign of their unbelief. Paul used this passage speaking of the gift of tongues in the church as a sign to unbelievers (1 Cor. 14:21-22). The word stammering does not mean that the language would not be real, but that the people hearing it would not understand it (Isaiah 28:11; Isaiah 33:19). These Hebrew words are translated mockers (Psalm 35:16); mock (2 Chron. 30:10; Neh. 4:1; Job 11:3; Job 21:3; Proverbs 1:26; Proverbs 17:5; Proverbs 30:17; Jeremiah 20:7); laugh to scorn (2 Kings 19:21; Neh. 2:19; Job 22:19; Psalm 22:7; Isaiah 37:2); laugh (Job 9:23; Psalm 80:6); and have in derision (Psalm 2:4; Psalm 59:8). All this points to the experiences of the book of Acts, especially to the 120 who were baptized in the Spirit on the day of Pentecost and spoke in other languages as the Spirit gave them utterance (Acts 2:1-21). This was in fulfillment of Isaiah 28:11. They became an object of mockery, laughter, scorn, and ridicule, and were accused of being drunk on new wine. See Tongues.
Isaiah 28:12
Two Personal Benefits of Tongues Here:
1. This is the rest to the weary.
2. This is the refreshing to the weary (see Sixteen Contrasts of Tongues and Prophecy).
Dake Topical Index.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 pm
Hill Top wrote:
I feel it can be either.
Dake agrees.
His notes on 1st Corinthians 13:1 say that the verse "suggests that those who speak with tongues could be using earthly and angelic languages" and that "Paul here shows the possibility of exercising gifts in a backslidden condition (1Cor. 13:1-3), as Solomon did (Eccl. 2:9)."
Yikes !
I think the supposition, "possibility", that gifts of the Holy Spirit can be used by the NT sinners/backslidden is a bit much.
A tad off track from my debate, but perhaps the context of this saying by rev Dake is some other topic.???

I'm glad I agree with his "agrees"...in your first sentence.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:21 pm
Hill Top wrote:
It is us speaking and not God speaking.

It is the spirit of the person praying or speaking in tongues that is speaking.
I can't agree.
If MY spirit is praying, and NOT God's Spirit praying from within me...when is the gift of tongues ever manifested?
How can God's Spirit satisfy the next two verses, if it is "our" spirit praying?
26 "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God." (Rom 8:26-27)
I contend that it is God's Spirit manifesting itself in us while we pray in tongues.
Our own spirit doesn't know what to pray for.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 pm
Hill Top wrote:
The verse that I posted in the last post does say that the kind of tongues used in prayer is not understood by the one doing the praying. Here it is, again:

We are commanded to pray for the interpretation because we don't understand the tongues that we are praying in.

Here are all of Dake's notes on 1st Corinthians 14:
Chapter 14
Notes For Verse 1
a [Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy] Three things we are to do here:

1. Follow after divine love (note, 1Cor. 13:4).

2. Covet earnestly the gifts (1Cor. 12:31).

3. Covet prophecy more than tongues.

Sixteen Contrasts of Tongues and Prophecy

1. Tongues are spoken to God; prophecy is spoken to teach people (1Cor. 14:2-3).

2. Mysteries or things not understood are spoken in tongues; all things spoken in prophecy are clear (1Cor. 14:3-4).

3. Tongues edify the speaker; prophecy edifies the speaker and others (1Cor. 14:3-4).

4. Tongues enable one to commune with God; prophecy speaks to people to edification, exhortation, and comfort (1Cor. 14:2-4).

5. The prophet is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless the tongues are interpreted and understood (1Cor. 14:5).

6. Tongues are no profit to the public unless interpreted; all prophecy is profitable to the public (1Cor. 14:5-13,27-28).

7. The speaker in tongues must pray for the interpretation; the prophet need not, for his message is in his own tongue (1Cor. 14:3-13).

8. Tongues make one a barbarian to others; prophecy does not (1Cor. 14:3,11).

9. In all gifts the main purpose is to excel in edifying the church (1Cor. 14:12). In this, prophecy is greater than tongues (1Cor. 14:1-6,27-28).

10. The human spirit of the speaker is the thing edified by tongues; prophecy benefits all people (1Cor. 14:1-5,14-15,24-25).

11. Tongues are a great personal blessing, but 5 words of prophecy are more important in public services than 10,000 words in tongues (1Cor. 14:17-19).

12. Tongues are a sign to unbelievers; prophecy to believers (1Cor. 14:21-22).

13. All speaking in tongues at once causes mockery by the unsaved whereas with prophesying the unsaved are convicted of sin (1Cor. 14:23-25).

14. Every gift must be used to edify the church (1Cor. 14:26). Prophecies do this better (1Cor. 14:1-5,23-25).

15. Only one message is allowed in a church service if not interpreted; three messages in prophecy are allowed (1Cor. 14:3,27-31).

16. Three messages in tongues are allowed in any church service if they are interpreted. This many messages in prophecy are always allowed (1Cor. 14:27-32).

Notes For Verse 2
a [he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries] It is clear in Scripture that men have spoken in tongues by the Holy Spirit. It was predicted by Isaiah (Isa. 28:11-12; 1Cor. 14:21); Joel (Joel 2:28-32 with Acts 2:16); and Jesus (Mk. 16:17; Jn. 15:26; 16:13-15). It was fulfilled in Acts 2:4; 10:44-48; 19:1-7; 1Cor. 12:8-10,28-31; 13:1-3; 14:1-40).

Notes For Verse 6
a [Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken?] Question 94-97. Next, 1Cor. 14:15.

Notes For Verse 9
a [easy to be understood] Greek: eusemos (GSN-<G2154>), intelligible. Only here.

Notes For Verse 10
a [kinds of voices] Kinds of languages. All of them are intelligible to those who speak them.

Notes For Verse 13
a [let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret] A command to those who speak in tongues.

Notes For Verse 14
a [For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful] This is Paul's reason for praying for the interpretation. The understanding is unfruitful unless the tongues are interpreted.

Notes For Verse 15
a [What is it then? ... Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?] Questions 98-99. Next, 1Cor. 14:23.

b [I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also] I will pray in tongues or by the Spirit (as in 1Cor. 14:14) and I will pray with the interpretation of my prayer also (1Cor. 14:14-16).

c [spirit, and I will sing with understanding also] I will sing in tongues (as in 1Cor. 14:14) and I will sing with the interpretation of tongues also.

Notes For Verse 16
a [Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?] When you say the blessing in tongues or in the Spirit, how can it be understood? You give thanks in tongues well, but your host is not edified. He does not know whether you curse or bless the food. You must learn to use your gifts rightly and in the proper place.

Notes For Verse 18
a [I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all] Paul boasts of his ability to talk in tongues more than all others of the church, yet says there is a time and place for tongues.

Six times not to speak in tongues:

1. When not impelled by love (1Cor. 13:1-3)

2. When in regular church meetings and no interpreter present (1Cor. 14:5,27-28)

3. When it is time to give truth to the public (1Cor. 14:6-13,19,23-25)

4. When invited to say grace at the table (1Cor. 14:16-17)

5. When the whole church would like to speak in tongues and people are present who would stumble over such action (1Cor. 14:23-25)

6. After two or three messages in tongues have been given and interpreted (1Cor. 14:27)

Notes For Verse 19
a [Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue] This does not belittle tongues or make them unimportant in their place, but it shows that the public will not get as much truth in 10,000 words in a language they cannot understand as they would get from 5 words they could understand.

b [teach others also] This emphasizes the purposes of all gifts and public Christian services. At least 20 out of 40 verses in this chapter emphasize the importance of public good, not the personal display of one's gifts (1Cor. 14:1,3-9,11-13,15-17,19,23-25,26-28,31,40).

Notes For Verse 20
a [be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men] Three stages of human growth mentioned:

1. Greek: nepios (GSN-<G3516>), an infant who cannot yet speak and who knows nothing of sin (the verb nepiazo (GSN-<G3515>) is translated "be ye children" in 1Cor. 14:20)

2. Greek: paidion (GSN-<G3813>), a child beginning in school to receive their first instructions

3. Greek: teleios (GSN-<G5046>), man of mature age and thought; man of growth and understanding

In other words, don't be little school children in understanding. In malice be infants who cannot speak and who know nothing of sin, but in understanding be people of maturity and growth.

Notes For Verse 21
a [law] The law was a term used by Jews to express the whole Scriptures of the law, the prophets, and the psalms (Lk. 24:44; Jn. 10:34; 15:25).

b [written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord] The 5th and last Old Testament prophecy fulfilled in 1Corinthians (1Cor. 14:21; Isa. 28:11-12). This prophecy reveals that God intended over 700 years before Christ to speak to people with stammering lips and other languages.

Notes For Verse 22
a [Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe] This is Paul's explanation of the main purpose of tongues. They are designed as a sign to unbelievers that through their miraculous exercise sinners might see the manifestation of the supernatural (Isa. 28:11-12). Examples of this are found in Acts 2:1-11; 10:44-48; 19:1-7; 1Cor. 14.

Notes For Verse 23
a [will they not say that ye are mad?] Question 100. Next, 1Cor. 14:26. This will naturally be the result of such misuse of tongues. When the mockery began at Pentecost, Peter stopped the 120 from talking in tongues and preached a sermon in his own native tongue which all could understand (Acts 2:11-14).

Notes For Verse 25
a [and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth] The chief end of all gifts and worship services is to bring people to repentance and surrender to God. This is the chief purpose of the death of Christ (Jn. 3:16).

Notes For Verse 26
a [How is it then, brethren?] Question 101. Next, 1Cor. 14:36.

b [when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation] Twenty New Testament church activities:

1. Singing of psalms (Eph. 5; Col. 3)

2. Teaching doctrines (2Tim. 4:2-4; Acts 2:42)

3. Tongues and interpretations (1Cor. 14:27)

4. Prophecies (1Cor. 14:3,24-25,29-30)

5. Exhortations by laymen (Heb. 10:25)

6. The Lord's Supper and a love feast (1Cor. 10:16-17; 11:17-34; Jude 1:12)

7. Scripture reading (Lk. 4:16; Col. 4:16; 1Th. 5:27; 1Tim. 4:13)

8. Prayers (Acts 2:42; 4:24-31; etc.)

9. Exercise of other gifts -- healing, faith, and miracles (Acts 3:6; 5:12-16; 8:5-8; 15:12; 19:11)

10. Exercise of discernment and judgment (Acts 5:1-11; 13:6-11; 1Cor. 5)

11. Reports and business (Acts 4:23; 6:1-7; 11:1-18; 15:1-35)

12. Baptism (Acts 2:41; 8:12; 16:33)

13. Laying on of hands for enduement of the Holy Spirit and gifts (Acts 8:14-19; 9:17-18; 19:1-7; 1Tim. 4:14; 2Tim. 1:6; Heb. 6)

14. Preaching (Acts 2:14; 8:4-5,35; 10:33-44; 1Cor. 1:18-24)

15. Sending missionaries (Acts 13:1-4; 15:36-40; Gal. 2:9-10)

16. Collections (Acts 11:29; 1Cor. 16:2)

17. Disputings (Acts 19:8-10; Gal. 2)

18. Confessions (Acts 19:18; Jas. 5:16)

19. Church trials (Mt. 18:15-18; 1Cor. 5-6; Acts 5-11; Gal. 2:1-14)

20. Addition of members (Acts 2:41)

Notes For Verse 27
a [unknown tongue] There is no word in the Greek for unknown here. No language spoken any place in the universe is actually unknown to the people who speak it. The only sense in which tongues or languages spoken by the ability of the gift of tongues are unknown is that the speaker himself does not know the language or languages which he speaks (1Cor. 14:2).

b [let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret] In public meetings the command is that no more than three messages in tongues should be allowed in any one service, and that, provided they are truly interpreted. The order should be by course with the first message being interpreted before a second, if any, is given. One who thus speaks should pray for the interpretation himself (1Cor. 14:13). Otherwise, his words may be interpreted by another gifted to do so. Even if more than one person speaks the rule is no more than a total of three messages in a single service. After that they must remain silent regardless of how much they seem to be inspired. If there is no interpretation to the first message, they likewise must remain silent (1Cor. 14:27-28,32). These laws concerning the gifts of tongues are to be obeyed as the commandments of God (1Cor. 14:32-33,37-38).

Notes For Verse 29
a [Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge] Prophets are also to speak two or three messages in turn letting others judge whether or not they have spoken truth. Both kinds of messages (tongues and prophecy) are to be judged as to their truth. The basis of judgment is the written revelation of God (Dt. 18:10-12,20; Isa. 8:19-20; Rev. 22:18-19). If any message in tongues or prophecy does not harmonize with the Bible, or does not come to pass, then it is to be judged false and the person said to be speaking by his own spirit (1Cor. 13:1-3; Dt. 13:1-9; 18:20-22; Jer. 23:25-29,32; Ezek. 13:2-3).

Notes For Verse 30
a [If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace] Everything revealed to a person is not a divine revelation. This is why everything must be judged, as in 1Cor. 14:29, note.

Notes For Verse 31
a [all prophesy] Men and women were permitted to prophesy (1Cor. 11:1-16; Acts 2:16-21).

Notes For Verse 32
a [the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets] Among people who have inspirational experiences of prophecy, tongues, and interpretation of tongues, it is very easy for one to claim that the Holy Spirit is moving upon him and that he should not quench the Spirit (1Th. 5:19). This attitude of being determined to obey the Spirit leads to abuse of such gifts many times, causing much confusion in the church. Let no man claim to be moved by the Holy Spirit who acts disorderly and causes confusion, for God is not the author of such (1Cor. 14:32-33).

Notes For Verse 34
a [Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak] This does not contradict the fact that women were free to pray and prophesy in the church (1Cor. 11:5,13; Acts 2:16-21; 21:9; Joel 2:28-32). See 1Cor. 14:35, note.

b [but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law] A reference to Gen. 3:16.

Notes For Verse 35
a [if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church] If they will learn anything, not preach, pray, testify, or prophesy anything. Let them ask their husbands at home and not in the church.

Notes For Verse 36
a [What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?] Questions 102-104. Next, 1Cor. 15:12. Did the Word of God come from you or did it come only to you, that you should have rules and customs different from all other churches? If you have gifts and are spiritual, you will acknowledge these teaching to be true commandments of the Lord and good for you. If you continue in ignorance after receiving these teachings, then remain ignorant (1Cor. 14:36-38).

Notes For Verse 39
a [Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues] In conclusion, three things I command you:

1. Covet to prophesy (note, 1Cor. 14:1).

2. Forbid not to speak with tongues.

3. Let all gifts be exercised lawfully and in order as I have taught you.

Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.
And, here is an interesting note from Dake's Topical Index:
Tongues
Hebrew: laeg (OT:3934), jester; mocker; stammerer. From la(ag (OT:3932), to deride; speak unintelligibly; mock; stammer; laugh. The idea here is that since the drunkards of Judah regarded the messages of the Lord through Isaiah as suitable only for children, He would teach them in a manner they did not like and instruct them through the language of foreigners as a sign of their unbelief. Paul used this passage speaking of the gift of tongues in the church as a sign to unbelievers (1 Cor. 14:21-22). The word stammering does not mean that the language would not be real, but that the people hearing it would not understand it (Isaiah 28:11; Isaiah 33:19). These Hebrew words are translated mockers (Psalm 35:16); mock (2 Chron. 30:10; Neh. 4:1; Job 11:3; Job 21:3; Proverbs 1:26; Proverbs 17:5; Proverbs 30:17; Jeremiah 20:7); laugh to scorn (2 Kings 19:21; Neh. 2:19; Job 22:19; Psalm 22:7; Isaiah 37:2); laugh (Job 9:23; Psalm 80:6); and have in derision (Psalm 2:4; Psalm 59:8). All this points to the experiences of the book of Acts, especially to the 120 who were baptized in the Spirit on the day of Pentecost and spoke in other languages as the Spirit gave them utterance (Acts 2:1-21). This was in fulfillment of Isaiah 28:11. They became an object of mockery, laughter, scorn, and ridicule, and were accused of being drunk on new wine. See Tongues.
Isaiah 28:12
Two Personal Benefits of Tongues Here:
1. This is the rest to the weary.
2. This is the refreshing to the weary (see Sixteen Contrasts of Tongues and Prophecy).
Dake Topical Index.
WOW !
Thanks for all the info'.
That being said, from whence were you able to "copy/paste" that info'?
Is it available publicly?

Spiritblade Disciple

No, it isn't publicly available.
It's copied and pasted from The Dake Reference Library software.

https://www.dakebible.com/catalog/dake- ... 1558291300