Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe Depth of Sin

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Bless the Lord with All Thine Soul and Forget Not Who Forgiveth All Thine Iniquities

The Depth of Sin

Post by Grandfather »

This is more of a philosophical question that I do not think can be answered with a simple Bible verse. Perhaps I am wrong. The question is, do we fully realize the depth and scope of sin? I am not asking what sin does, but sin itself. Do we fully understand the deception it hides under? Do we recognize every "angel of light" that brings a false message? Is it possible for a child of God to be deceived and as a result to be "in sin" without knowing it?

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: The Depth of Sin

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

No, I don't think anyone truly can recognize the full depth of sin.

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Hill Top
Whosoever shall Give to Drink unto One of These Little Ones a Cup of Cold Water Only in the Name of a Disciple, He shall in No Wise Lose His Reward

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:52 pm
This is more of a philosophical question that I do not think can be answered with a simple Bible verse. Perhaps I am wrong. The question is, do we fully realize the depth and scope of sin? I am not asking what sin does, but sin itself. Do we fully understand the deception it hides under? Do we recognize every "angel of light" that brings a false message? Is it possible for a child of God to be deceived and as a result to be "in sin" without knowing it?
No, I don't believe a child of God with the gift of the Holy Ghost can be deceived.

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Sin is cruel and deception is yet another challenge to decipher.

I think the scripture answers part of your question with a resounding yes, it is possible for a child of God to be deceived and be in sin as Jesus and others clearly taught, yet it is my opinion he or she will fully know it.

Since James explain how sin works it would be impossible for one not to know it because it is birthed in the heart of man. Man can act as if he doesn't know, but he does. Now deception is the tricky one and counterfeits are as close to perfect as they can be.

Word up!

Grandfather
Bless the Lord with All Thine Soul and Forget Not Who Forgiveth All Thine Iniquities

Post by Grandfather »

If the depth and deception of sin were not both very great and very settle, why are believers constantly warned about it? Why are we told to be constantly on guard? A watchman does not fear the enemy they can see and are prepared for.

Hill Top
Whosoever shall Give to Drink unto One of These Little Ones a Cup of Cold Water Only in the Name of a Disciple, He shall in No Wise Lose His Reward

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:33 am
Grandfather wrote:

I think the scripture answers part of your question with a resounding yes, it is possible for a child of God to be deceived and be in sin as Jesus and others clearly taught, yet it is my opinion he or she will fully know it.

Since James explain how sin works it would be impossible for one not to know it because it is birthed in the heart of man. Man can act as if he doesn't know, but he does. Now deception is the tricky one and counterfeits are as close to perfect as they can be.
Yes they can...but no they can't?
Pick one.

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: James Explains How Sin Works

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

luchnia wrote:
Since James explain how sin works it would be impossible for one not to know it because it is birthed in the heart of man.
James 1:12-16 New King James Version
Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

Do you believe sin is present in the believer's life before it bring's forth death? When is sin first present?

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: James Explains How Sin Works

Post by luchnia »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:19 pm
luchnia wrote:
Since James explain how sin works it would be impossible for one not to know it because it is birthed in the heart of man.
James 1:12-16 New King James Version
Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

Do you believe sin is present in the believer's life before it bring's forth death? When is sin first present?
I think if you go by James the answer is "sin when it is full grown, brings forth death", because temptation is not sin. If so, then we would have to include Jesus because He was tempted in every way as a man, yet without sin. I believe the scripture in James lets you know exactly how sin works in man. Other scriptures may have a different method of explaining this, yet I think James lays it out so very simply by steps.

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:34 pm
luchnia wrote:
Grandfather wrote:

Yes they can...but no they can't?
Pick one.
You must have misunderstood the text I typed.

Word up!

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

luchnia wrote:
Please explain the contradiction. If it is possible for a child of God to be deceived and be in sin, how can they "fully know it"? The very definition of deceived means that one does not realize what they are doing. A deceived person does not believe what they are doing is wrong? If they did, they would not be deceived but a willing participant.