Dake Bible Discussion BoardTwo things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
User avatar
luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 am

Re: Two things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

Post by luchnia »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:41 pm
Ignorance can be dangerous. Sin and ignorance are connected in at least sixteen verses in the Bible. Offerings were required for sins committed in ignorance. This tells me that such sins aren't necessarily just overlooked because of ignorance. Rather, the expectation seems to be that ignorance would be discovered and that once discovered, repentance from such error would be expected and compensation would be made.

Do you ever pray for God to show you where you may be sinning through ignorance?

Psalm 19:12 Amplified Bible
Who can discern his lapses and errors? Clear me from hidden [and unconscious] faults.
I have prayed asking to be shown my error of ignorance in the past. I do agree there is a level of ignorance that is not acceptable, yet I think that has a different meaning that what I am referring to.

To not know something, ignorant of it in the manner I am referring to, is not by any means willful, or remaining ignorant because you are not trying to understand. If that type of ignorance is something to be repented of, we are in a most miserable state.


Word up!

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Moderator
Posts: 5509
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Two things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Well, at least one of the Bible's authors asked for cleansing from the sins he did not know that he was committing.


Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Hill Top
He that Receiveth a Prophet in the Name of a Prophet shall Receive a Prophet's Reward
Posts: 1703
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Re: Two things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

Post by Hill Top »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:43 pm
Well, at least one of the Bible's authors asked for cleansing from the sins he did not know that he was committing.
One OT author who still walked in the flesh.

The difference between those with the Spirit of God in them and those without It cannot be hidden...it is obvious.



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 6509
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Two things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

Post by branham1965 »

You are wrong about that.People in the Old Testament had forgiveness of sins,were filled with Spirit,had gifts of the Spirit and more .... see Dake Bible;God's Plan For Man.
Hill Top wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:53 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:43 pm
Well, at least one of the Bible's authors asked for cleansing from the sins he did not know that he was committing.
One OT author who still walked in the flesh.

The difference between those with the Spirit of God in them and those without It cannot be hidden...it is obvious.
Last edited by branham1965 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 am

Re: Two things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

Post by luchnia »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:43 pm
Well, at least one of the Bible's authors asked for cleansing from the sins he did not know that he was committing.
Yes, true, yet my question would be did the Spirit every indicate there was such thing even though the author asked?

I have asked the same thing, yet I have never been convinced there is sin without knowing it especially in light of Jame's definition of sin and how it works.

You would think James would have indicated that sinning not knowingly was a fact, yet he left that out as did many others. It is a good topic and seems lacking enough information to make a solid determination.


Word up!

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Moderator
Posts: 5509
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Two things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Ephesians 4:17-18a New King James Version
This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them...
People can be alienated from the life of God because of ignorance. If this ignorance were not sinful, why would it alienate them from the life of God? And, why does Paul warn the Ephesian Christians against walking this way if such ignorance isn't a danger to them?


Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

User avatar
luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 am

Re: Two things that scripture teaches concerning sin and the saint:

Post by luchnia »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Ephesians 4:17-18a New King James Version
This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them...
People can be alienated from the life of God because of ignorance. If this ignorance were not sinful, why would it alienate them from the life of God? And, why does Paul warn the Ephesian Christians against walking this way if such ignorance isn't a danger to them?
Agree, there is ignorance that leads to sin and this illustrates my point well - that being that not all ignorance leads to sin nor alienates one from God. To me it is quite the contrary and really opens up what Paul said about the limitations of knowledge. Scripture shows of Jesus being ignorant of certain things while here on earth, yet some would say He had full knowledge of everything.

The chapter the verse you have posted indicates what they were to do to keep themselves from this type of ignorance of the body of believers not being whole, fitly framed, and in unity. This type of ignorance will darken and certainly alienate and if not contained will lead one to sin.

Just on this forum you find those that believe they can keep the old man, live in a state of sin somehow with the new man (actually they don't believe you can put on the new man in Christ and walk in him anyway), and somehow have eternal life which is remaining in a state of ignorance.

Over the many years that I have lived, I still find it strange that men think they can continue to sin and somehow enter eternal life with God as if God somehow brushes aside living in darkness.

The ignorance of not walking in that position, in Christ, astounds me as much as the acts of sin themselves. It is like moths being drawn to a flame and getting burned to death because the flame overtakes them.

Ephesians 4:19-32 (KJV)
19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.


Word up!

Post Reply