Dake Bible Discussion BoardWHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING PERFECT?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
dolph
Go Forth, Preaching Every Where... And, the Lord Shall Work With You, Confirming His Word With Signs Following

WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING PERFECT?

Post by dolph »

I like the breath of fresh air Hilltop brings to this site. I've been a Spirit-filled Christian since I was born again at a Copland-Hagin meeting 41 1/2 years ago but have changed a lot since living alone the past 7 years, spending much of that time studying the Word and interacting with Christians I've met on the internet. I also listen to Les Feldick 5 days a week because I need some fellowship, not because I agree with all he says (he is not charismatic) but he is a pre-trib Baptist type who has a pretty good handle on the Bible.
Getting back to Hilltop and less sinning. I often remind my Charismatic Catholic neighbor that many are called and FEW are chosen and that ain't many. I ask him if we are standing outside the Cowboys stadium during a game and I asked him to go in and bring out a "few" men to me, how many would he bring out? Three? Four?
Only 8 were saved on Noah's ark, only 6,000 were saved when God told Elijah how many in Israel were with him, that's like one tenth of 1%. Only 120 were there on Pentacost when the Holy Spirit came. I play tennis with about 25 different players and 2 are ministers but I don't know if any are saved. I send out some great Christian videos to all my old friends of a life time, it's my way of evangelizing, including to my own family and I get almost no response and have alienated most of them.
All this leads me to believe their are FEW saved in America right now. Poles are taken periodically that suggest that 15-25% are saved but I think it's much less. A lot depends on what your definition of a Christian is. How 'bout, Those who are led by the Spirit of God or Those who have a Christian world view?? If the law is written on my heart and I am led by the Spirit of God how can one sin and not immediately repent to Jesus? Over the past few years I say Good morning to the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit when I wake up, have communion with Jesus every morning and pray on my knees before going to bed. AFTER ALL WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BECOMING A JOINT HEIR WITH JESUS AND HE IS NOT ASHAMED TO CALL US BROTHER.
I try to get better every day, to sin less. I know we are saved by grace but I still tell the Lord I am sorry when I catch myself bad mouthing my neighbor for not repairing his part of the driveway we share. I tell the Lord I'm sorry when I curse out some liberal talking head on TV because God is in my presence. My prayer life stunk until I became David Thoreau living in my cottage next to Walden's Pond. Part of it is getting close to the rapture and being 78 this month. Those lusting thoughts have been a bit of a problem lately. I admire Hilltop's effort to live a sinless life. God bless you Hilltop, you're an inspiration to me. (My apologies if I already posted this somewhere. I couldn't find it and feared I didn't hit the Submit key)

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING PERFECT?

Post by luchnia »

It is important to note that perfection and sinlessness are two very different things. You grow into perfection, as a saint you are free from sin. Those that are in sin are not Christ.

Don't have time at the moment to go into all the scriptures, but this is a great topic that has been brought up many times on this board and a topic that is never dull. it seems that many are very sensitive in the area of living holy before God.

It is always great to discuss how the saints are holy, righteous, partake of the divine nature of God, are Christ's, and are led by the Spirit.

Word up!

Grandfather
Bless the Lord with All Thine Soul and Forget Not Who Forgiveth All Thine Iniquities

Post by Grandfather »

What's wrong with being perfect, or even sinless? You can't do it without the constant provision of grace given by the Lord Jesus Christ. In and of yourself, it is not possible.

dolph
Go Forth, Preaching Every Where... And, the Lord Shall Work With You, Confirming His Word With Signs Following

Post by dolph »

Grandfather wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:32 am
What's wrong with being perfect, or even sinless? You can't do it without the constant provision of grace given by the Lord Jesus Christ. In and of yourself, it is not possible.
Not possible? Jesus did it as a man. He is our example. Once you say it's impossible you have taken your finger out of the *.

dolph

Post by dolph »

the last word in the above post is *. Don't know how what happened happened.

dolph

Post by dolph »

dolph

Post by dolph »

* OR *

dolph

Post by dolph »

dolph wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 am
* OR *
D I K E or D Y K E

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Looks like there's a word filter that's catching something, Dolph.

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Spiritblade Disciple

By Hill Top's Standards

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

dolph wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 am
I like the breath of fresh air Hilltop brings to this site.
By Hill Top's standards,
you aren't saved
and never have been saved.

By Hill Top's standards,
it's likely that
you have never known anyone who has ever been saved,
other than,
maybe,
Hill Top.

By Hill Top's standards,
if a person has sinned
after being water baptized,
they were never saved.
And, their water baptism was invalid.

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."