Dake Bible Discussion BoardMy Savior KEEPS me saved.

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Bless the Lord with All Thine Soul and Forget Not Who Forgiveth All Thine Iniquities

My Savior KEEPS me saved.

Post by Grandfather »

Not only did my savior save me, but he keeps me saved.

Some think of "keeping" as being forced to remain saved as if a person no longer has a free-will to chose what they should do. Sadly that is not the case. Jesus spoke in the gospel of John about the ministry of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit would lead us and guide us into all truth. Without knowing that truth I would be captured by deception and walk in unrighteousness. His revealed truth keeps me saved, as long as I chose to walk in that truth. Isaiah 26:3 says He will keep us in perfect peace when our minds are stayed on Him because we trust in Him. God does the keeping, we do the trusting in Him.
Pro 3:5 tells us to trust in the Lord with all our heart and HE will make our paths straight. If anyone believes they can walk in their righteousness, even their righteousness after accepting the Gospel, without fully depending, relying, leaning, depending on the revelation of the Holy Spirit, they are deceived. One cannot stay saved apart from the grace of God.

We need a savior to save us, and to keep us saved!

dolph
Go Forth, Preaching Every Where... And, the Lord Shall Work With You, Confirming His Word With Signs Following

Re: My Savior KEEPS me saved.

Post by dolph »

I disagree. The Holy Spirit guides us like a parent guides a child but it's the child's decision whether to follow. Your statement puts it all on God and you fail to take responsibility for your actions. You were made in God's image and likeness and you have a will to choose whether or not to follow the Holy Spirit's guidance. Your thinking comes very close with the OSAS dogma. Lucifer, Adam and Judas chose not to follow God and look what happened.

Grandfather
Bless the Lord with All Thine Soul and Forget Not Who Forgiveth All Thine Iniquities

Post by Grandfather »

dolph wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 pm
I disagree. The Holy Spirit guides us like a parent guides a child but it's the child's decision whether to follow. Your statement puts it all on God and you fail to take responsibility for your actions. You were made in God's image and likeness and you have a will to choose whether or not to follow the Holy Spirit's guidance. Your thinking comes very close with the OSAS dogma. Lucifer, Adam and Judas chose not to follow God and look what happened.

Were you so quick to disapprove of this post that you overlooked this sentence "His revealed truth keeps me saved, as long as I chose to walk in that truth." What in this post give you the indication I deny personal responsibility?

dolph
Go Forth, Preaching Every Where... And, the Lord Shall Work With You, Confirming His Word With Signs Following

Post by dolph »

Sorry, grandad, but what's your point?

dolph

Post by dolph »

I just reread your statement and I agree with you but it's the Holy Spirit not Jesus that is currently guiding us, "another Comforter".