Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhere is the line?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Bless the Lord with All Thine Soul and Forget Not Who Forgiveth All Thine Iniquities

Where is the line?

Post by Grandfather »

Where is the line between faith and foolishness? Between caution and fearfulness? Between wisdom and presumption?

In this time of crisis where is that line? Is it different for everyone? Is it objective, or subjective? Is it the same for everyone or different in every situation?

I begin with the non-committal answer --- it depends.

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Where is the line?

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am
Where is the line between faith and foolishness? Between caution and fearfulness? Between wisdom and presumption?

In this time of crisis where is that line? Is it different for everyone? Is it objective, or subjective? Is it the same for everyone or different in every situation?

This is a good thread to consider. I think it does depend on what you are dealing with and also the perception of the receiver and above all their level of faith. Take for example, fear mongering, soothsaying, doomsdaying, etc. People receive those so differently.

One that is strong in faith understands the fear driven sources and is not shaken by such things because they are strong in the word of God that is against such things, but one weak in faith could be shaken greatly. The type of fear that is in opposition to faith does not come from God and the saints should quickly recognize the source.

I think caution and concern is good and right. There are ways to separate caution and fear, wisdom and presumption, and get a hold on what is righteous.

If we make the Lord our habitation, can we not hold a position as David did,

"A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. 8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. 9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. 11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways."

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: Where is the line?

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am

Good question.

I think "it depends" is a good start to an answer.

Foolishness, to me, would be taking actions as if there is no God. Presumption would be taking actions as if God is with you, when you ought to know better. Wisdom is rare.

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."