Dake Bible Discussion BoardShould Soldiers Stop Soldiering?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
Blessings are Upon the Head of the Just

Re: Is Violence Ever Necessary?

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:12 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:14 pm
I can think of no sort of violence that is not sinful.
We are to turn the other cheek, and pray for those who spitefully use us.
I don't believe violence is ever necessary.
Trust in God, not in weapons.
Just a couple of questions.

What would you say about the violence displayed by Jesus at the purging of the Temple? Matt 21:12-17
Hmmm...
Good point.
But I don't think violence against tables applies to my "picture" of violence against people.
Jesus didn't hurt anyone physically.
What do you say about the scripture And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. (Matt 11:12)
The violent crucified Jesus.
It was a sin.
But God used it for the good of the faithful.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Is Violence Ever Necessary?

Post by branham1965 »

Roger you sound like a theology professor.
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:35 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:35 pm
I pray to God for the grace to avoid situations where I would need to do violence.
I know what I can do...violently.
I think we are still using different definitions of 'violence.'

I don't think that violence, in the sense that John the Baptist instructed against, is ever necessary.

However, you seem to be saying that violence is sometimes necessary, but you ask God to keep you out of such situations because you believe all violence to be sinful, not recognizing that the possibility of different contextual definitions whereby John was forbidding the soldiers practice of a specific type of violence, but not all types.

So, do you believe violence of any type is sinful, but that sinful violence is sometimes necessary?
Last edited by branham1965 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.