Dake Bible Discussion BoardDoes the Bible Teach Annihilationism?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple

Does the Bible Teach Annihilationism?

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pm
I've always wondered about the concept of "few" --- it goes against the grain of logical thinking that Satan would win more souls than the God of creation.

As to torment - I believe being separated from the giver of life is the ultimate torment.
dolph wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:47 pm

I still think there is more to this mystery. It could involve... annihilation ...

Interesting.

Several famous theologians (such as John Stott and Edward Fudge) have argued that belief in annihilation should be considered an orthodox belief. The famous preacher, William Marrion Branham, taught annihilationism very strongly.

Do you know of any biblical passages supporting annihilationism?

Matthew 5:19-20 New King James Version
"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

dolph
Go Forth, Preaching Every Where... And, the Lord Shall Work With You, Confirming His Word With Signs Following

Re: Does the Bible Teach Annihilationism?

Post by dolph »

Very interesting that Branham believed in annihilation. Even reincarnation makes some logical, if not biblical sense. Perhaps in some form we haven't been privy to, especially when one thinks of their own family members who might have missed salvation because they were deceived.

Spiritblade Disciple

dolph wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:57 pm
Even reincarnation makes some logical, if not biblical sense.
I've started another thread to look into biblical support for reincarnation:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7646

"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

Spiritblade Disciple

dolph wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:57 pm
Very interesting that Branham believed in annihilation. Even reincarnation makes some logical, if not biblical sense. Perhaps in some form we haven't been privy to, especially when one thinks of their own family members who might have missed salvation because they were deceived.
It is interesting that Branham believed in annihilationism. From his view, if anyone existed forever, they had eternal life. And, since only the saved have eternal life, no other humans could exist forever.

Annihilationism does propose an answer as to how the saved could be truly happy concerning the fate of their unsaved loved ones. At least their suffering would come to an end. To me, it is a great question how anyone could truly be happy while knowing that some or even one person whom they truly loved was being eternally tormented without any hope.

That said, I do not believe in annihilationism.

dolph
Go Forth, Preaching Every Where... And, the Lord Shall Work With You, Confirming His Word With Signs Following

Post by dolph »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:26 pm
Grandfather wrote:
I've always wondered about the concept of "few" --- it goes against the grain of logical thinking that Satan would win more souls than the God of creation.

As to torment - I believe being separated from the giver of life is the ultimate torment.
dolph wrote:

I still think there is more to this mystery. It could involve... annihilation ...

Interesting.

Several famous theologians (such as John Stott and Edward Fudge) have argued that belief in annihilation should be considered an orthodox belief. The famous preacher, William Marrion Branham, taught annihilationism very strongly.

God is love. Annihilation is better than eternal torture. Another chance, or reincarnation shows agape love. Perhaps God was just testing and saving those who would qualify to be kings and priests, joint heirs and brothers with Christ. We have been given His "divine nature". Keeping in mind that those saved after the second advent will inherit eternal life on the earth as opposed to those of the body of Christ who have a heavenly future.

Grandfather
Bless the Lord with All Thine Soul and Forget Not Who Forgiveth All Thine Iniquities

Re: Orthodox Beliefs

Post by Grandfather »

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:26 pm
Grandfather wrote:

dolph wrote:

Interesting.

Beliefs that can be call "orthodox" contains the spectrum of beliefs that have some portions in conflict with others. So while I do not hold to annihilationism, I can see why some would consider it to be an orthodox belief, as opposed to a heretical one.

Spiritblade Disciple

Re: Orthodox Beliefs

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:55 pm
Beliefs that can be call "orthodox" contains the spectrum of beliefs that have some portions in conflict with others. So while I do not hold to annihilationism, I can see why some would consider it to be an orthodox belief, as opposed to a heretical one.
This is true.

I remember watching an interview wherein the the host (who is considered to be a Christian authority in some camps in Christendom) interviewed another pastor of a different Christian persuasion. The point of the issue was that they would both give each other an orthodoxy test. Both passed with flying colors, yet their beliefs on a lot of points were radically different. One was a Calvinist. The other was not. However, both believed in Once Saved, Always Saved. But, one believed that without works (persevering to the end) you couldn't really know if a person was saved, while the other believed that no evidence was necessary for salvation at all. Both believed that God permanently set some aside from the possibility of being saved in this life, but the Calvinist believed the decision was made in eternity, before the creation, whereas the non-Calvinist believed the decision was made by God in response to a person's hatred for the Lord. One was Pre-Millennial. The other was Amillennial And, on and on it went. But, both could pass the orthodoxy test with flying colors, yet both admitted that the didn't know if the other was saved and had serious doubts about them and would definitely not recommend each other's churches to anyone.

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by luchnia »

I would say if we believe the book of Revelation that there are armies of saved and it is my opinion that Jesus has no small army.

Word up!