Dake Bible Discussion BoardShould Rich Christians Give Away All Their Money?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.

Should Rich Christians Give Away All Their Money?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 5

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

What are the social responsibilities of wealthy Christians? Must they prove their loyalty to the Lord by selling their possessions and giving to the poor? Are there simple, universal answers to these questions, or are these questions that must be answered personally and individually?

Some of these issues were raised decades ago in Ronald Sider’s classic work Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger, originally published in 1978. With many of us in the West having so much and many in other countries having so little, what would Jesus ask of us?

David Chilton took exception to Sider’s approach, writing, Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt Manipulators: A Biblical Response to Ronald J. Sider in 1981. In Chilton’s view, Sider’s view violated the productive principles of biblical economics.

Now, in our day, “Red Letter Christian” leader Shaine Clairborne has asked whether Jesus is King of Kanye West’s bank account. He writes, “The same Jesus who said we need to be ‘born again’ also commanded his disciples to ‘sell everything and give it to the poor.’ This is the one who said it is easier to fit a camel through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

First, Jesus requires all of us to surrender everything to Him if we want to be His disciples. As He said to the large crowds that followed Him, “. . . those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples” (Luke 14:33).

In context, He didn’t simply mean every possession. He meant everything – our wills, our desires, our relationships, everything.

That is discipleship 101. Being born again means that Jesus is Lord of our entire lives.

Second, Jesus called one particular rich young ruler to sell his possessions and give to the poor. But that was not because his wealth was sinful in itself. Rather, it was to expose his covetous heart. In order to really follow Jesus, this man would need to break the power of materialism and greed. He was not willing. (See Mark 10:17-31.)

On the other hand, when Zacchaeus the tax collector encountered Jesus, he immediately repented, pledging to give half his money to the poor. And, if he had defrauded anyone, he would pay him back fourfold. (See Luke 19:1-10.)

And note that Jesus rejoiced in this act, recognizing the reality of Zacchaeus’s conversion. He did not say, “That’s not good enough! You need to give away all your wealth!”

Each heart and each case is different. (For Jesus’ words to His twelve disciples, see Luke 12:32-34.)

Third,
the Bible consistently warns against putting our trust in earthly riches. As Proverbs states, “Do not wear yourself out to get rich; do not trust your own cleverness. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.” (Proverbs 23:4–5; see also Matthew 6:19-26.)

Fourth, the Scriptures warn even more strongly against using the gospel as a means for acquiring wealth, noting that “the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil” (1 Timothy 6:10). That’s why Paul spoke of “people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain” (1 Timothy 6:7).

Those are strong words.

Fifth,
both the Old and New Testaments emphasize the importance of hard work and good stewardship. The Scriptures teach that we reap what we sow and that the generous, not the stingy, will be blessed.

The promises to the generous are clear and undeniable. (See, for example, 2 Corinthians 9:6-11.)

Sixth,
Paul gave clear instructions to rich Christians, not condemning them or making them feel guilty but rather commanding them to live with an eternal perspective.

He wrote to Timothy, “Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life” (1 Timothy 6:17–19).

Rich Christians have helped fund the gospel around the world as well as helped lead the way in meeting the needs of the poor and hurting. And many of them are rich because of the blessing of God.

But, as Paul urged, they must not be arrogant. They must not put their trust in earthly wealth. And they must be generous in giving and rich in good deeds.

At the same time, what they do and how they do it may not be known to the general public. And it’s also possible that God will call them to maintain their same lifestyle as believers, living in a wealthy community and hobnobbing with the rich and influential. This is their mission field, and Jesus died for these people too.

And this means that it’s not for us to sit and judge by mere outward appearance, since often we don’t know what’s going on in the heart.

Instead, let’s pray for those who are wealthy not to get caught up with the things of this age so they lose sight of eternal principles. Instead, empowered by those eternal principles, may they use their wealthy for the glory of God.

And should the Lord – their Lord – tell them to sell everything and give to the poor, wonderful.

But should He tell them to keep much of their wealth and invest it to make more money so they will have much more to give way, that’s wonderful too.

Rich Christians, just like poor Christians, give account God, not to you or to me (Romans 14:4).
https://townhall.com/columnists/michael ... y-n2555901

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: Should Rich Christians Give Away All Their Money?

Post by Grandfather »

There is an abundance of thought missing from this discussion.

First, the question you asked does not address the definition of RICH. In America even what we consider poor is richer than the vast majority of the rest of the world.

After that, nothing addresses obedience - perhaps it should ask if Christian, regardless of their wealth, should be willing to give away all of their money. Another question might be how much is enough? Another question is what is one doing with their wealth to advance the kingdom of God.

I would welcome a discussion on these matters, one that avoids using the correct words but displays the attitude of the heart.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm

First, the question you asked does not address the definition of RICH. In America even what we consider poor is richer than the vast majority of the rest of the world.

After that, nothing addresses obedience - perhaps it should ask if Christian, regardless of their wealth, should be willing to give away all of their money. Another question might be how much is enough? Another question is what is one doing with their wealth to advance the kingdom of God.

I would welcome a discussion on these matters, one that avoids using the correct words but displays the attitude of the heart.
It was a internet article = not my own posting.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

bibleman wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:42 pm
Grandfather wrote:

It was a internet article = not my own posting.
This could make for an interesting discussion as there are many different views on this. One could ask should you give of your abundance and keep the proper amount so that you can survive as well? Some think that living for Jesus means giving away everything you have. I have heard so many different angles on this.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

It is the rich Christian own personal business what he gives to the poor.

The disparity between rich and poor is a wide chasm.

Kanye West becomes a Christian and gets attacked by some of these....people.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I like you post GF. :angel: :angel:
Grandfather wrote:

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:

What are your thoughts about Abraham, one who was very rich in gold and silver and had a private army? Then we have Solomon of untold wealth. King David was not a poor man. Of course, finally Jesus who knew His wealth and owned it all from the Father and wasn't afraid to talk about it. He paid the taxes of two men from a fishes mouth.

I think it all boils down to were one places his heart when it comes to riches and maybe obedience plays into this. Saints know loving money is a dead end path. Jesus words to the rich young ruler were most interesting, yet Jesus never taught it was wrong to have money. I think it was all about balance.

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

luchnia wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:43 pm
Grandfather wrote:

What are your thoughts about Abraham, one who was very rich in gold and silver and had a private army? Then we have Solomon of untold wealth. King David was not a poor man. Of course, finally Jesus who knew His wealth and owned it all from the Father and wasn't afraid to talk about it. He paid the taxes of two men from a fishes mouth.

I think it all boils down to were one places his heart when it comes to riches and maybe obedience plays into this. Saints know loving money is a dead end path, but having money is not wrong. Jesus words to the rich young ruler were most interesting, yet Jesus never taught it was wrong to have money. I think it was all about balance.

Word up!

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

I meant to say i like your post.sighs.

branham1965 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:21 am
I like you post GF. :angel: :angel:
Grandfather wrote:

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

luchnia wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:43 pm
Grandfather wrote:

I think it all boils down to were one places his heart when it comes to riches and maybe obedience plays into this. Saints know loving money is a dead end path. Jesus words to the rich young ruler were most interesting, yet Jesus never taught it was wrong to have money. I think it was all about balance.
I am not opposed to people being wealthy. And I will acknowledge the Bible tells us of men who served God and were very well off. However, it is wrong to attribute wealth or financial blessing with the blessing of God. And I agree, Jesus never taught it was wrong to have wealth.

That being said, the Bible does talk about the deceitfulness of riches. It does talk about being a steward of money and using it for the advancement of the Kingdom. It does talk about using the position of wealth to help the community around you. And it does question the hoarding of money to oneself.

And while you mentioned those that scripture calls rich, we should also not that Jesus asked someone to look after his mother, there was no trust set up for her. He was buried in a borrowed tomb and couldn't afford his own. The Apostles were not rich, Paul had to work to support his ministry. Now, I am not promoting vows of poverty.

I simply believe that in God's economy prosperity means something different than what the western church world assumes.