Dake Bible Discussion BoardDoes Dake teach about generational curses?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
raymond5555
James

Does Dake teach about generational curses?

Post by raymond5555 »

Does Dake teach about generational curses

raymond5555
James

Re: Does Dake teach about generational curses?

Post by raymond5555 »

Leon bible,if you can respond,thanks

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

raymond5555 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:36 pm
Let's narrow down the question...

A generation curse by who?

A generational curse placed by "God"
A generational curse placed by the "devil"
A generational curse placed by the "natural human family"

Also in what period are you referring to? OT or NT ?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

raymond5555
James

Post by raymond5555 »

The passage I'm referring to is Exodus 20:5,NoteDake Dake Bible

raymond5555
James

Post by raymond5555 »

Note r.

raymond5555
James

Post by raymond5555 »

Visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

raymond5555 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:36 pm
If you are a new creation in Christ how can there be a curse on you? I mean you’re born again correct, what curse is in the family tree between Christ and you. There is no such thing as a second generation Christion, so where is the generational curse?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

raymond5555 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Here are some study notes that might help you here.

This translation may be helpful: Exodus 20:5 ..."And when I punish people for their sins, the punishment continues upon the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of those who hate me; (TLB)

Keep in mind on this passage: "Idolatry is however particularly intended, and visiting sins of this kind refers principally to national judgments." Adam Clarke

On this passage Dake gives us "Five Notable Pronouncements" which give specific instances where the sins of the father have a definite affect on future generations.
1. Iniquity to be visited on offspring to the third and fourth generation (Ex. 20:5; 34:7; Num. 14:18; Dt. 5:9)
2. Offspring of Edomites and Egyptians not to enter the congregation of the Lord, to the third generation (Dt. 23:7-8)
3. A bastard and his offspring not to enter the congregation of the Lord to the tenth generation (Dt. 23:2)
4. An Ammonite or Moabite not to enter the congregation of the Lord to the tenth generation (Dt. 23:3)
5. Descendants of Jehu to have the throne of Israel to the fourth generation (2Ki. 10:30; 15:12)
Finis Jennings Dake, Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text, (Lawrenceville, GA: Dake Bible Sales, Inc., 1997), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: "Chapter 20".
In other words when a nation or family for that matter sins - that nation or family leads others in their line... down the same path of sin. And for that sin there is punishment.

However Adam Clarke points out: "Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children—This necessarily implies—If the children walk in the steps of their fathers; for no man can be condemned by Divine justice for a crime of which he was never guilty; see Ezekiel 18."

"If a parent sows the seed of idolatry, he is usually going to bear children who will be greatly influenced by his behavior. The children will deny and hate God and worship the idols of man. But note: this does not mean that God holds a child guilty for the sins of his parents. God is not talking about the guilt of sin. He is talking about the results, the consequences of sin. Every person shall bear the judgment and punishment for his own sin. No person will ever be judged and punished for the sins of others." "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin" (Deut. 24:16). POSB

Think about it like this... For the sins of abortion and gay marriage (which the Supreme Court has rulled legal) American is surely to be judged and is being judged. NOW I personally do not support either of these, so as an individual I am not responsible for this sin. BUT since I live in America I am in some ways paying a price for that sin. AND so will my children if America does not repent and turn from such sin.

AND NOT always is the punishment for sin averted even in repentance.

Josiah was a great King who turned Judah back to God but because the sins of Manasseh's 55 year reign were so great, the Lord visited the sins of Manasseh upon the nation of Judah

2 Kings 23:25 And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the LORD with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him.
26 Notwithstanding the LORD turned not from the fierceness of his great wrath, wherewith his anger was kindled against Judah, because of all the provocations that Manasseh had provoked him withal.

In fact we are told that Judah was sent into 70 years of babylonian captivity because of the sins of King Manasseh.

2 Kings 24:3 (KJV) 3 Surely at the commandment of the LORD came this upon Judah, to remove them out of his sight, for the sins of Manasseh, according to all that he did;

And for 70 years the people paid the price of Manasseh's sin. AND during that time there were righteous men who were paying that sin price as well, Ezra, Nehemiah, etc.

A lot here to think about.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

TruthSeeker
Malachi

Post by TruthSeeker »

bibleman wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am
raymond5555 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Here are some study notes that might help you here.

This translation may be helpful: Exodus 20:5 ..."And when I punish people for their sins, the punishment continues upon the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of those who hate me; (TLB)

Keep in mind on this passage: "Idolatry is however particularly intended, and visiting sins of this kind refers principally to national judgments." Adam Clarke

On this passage Dake gives us "Five Notable Pronouncements" which give specific instances where the sins of the father have a definite affect on future generations.
1. Iniquity to be visited on offspring to the third and fourth generation (Ex. 20:5; 34:7; Num. 14:18; Dt. 5:9)
2. Offspring of Edomites and Egyptians not to enter the congregation of the Lord, to the third generation (Dt. 23:7-8)
3. A bastard and his offspring not to enter the congregation of the Lord to the tenth generation (Dt. 23:2)
4. An Ammonite or Moabite not to enter the congregation of the Lord to the tenth generation (Dt. 23:3)
5. Descendants of Jehu to have the throne of Israel to the fourth generation (2Ki. 10:30; 15:12)
Finis Jennings Dake, Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text, (Lawrenceville, GA: Dake Bible Sales, Inc., 1997), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: "Chapter 20".
In other words when a nation or family for that matter sins - that nation or family leads others in their line... down the same path of sin. And for that sin there is punishment.

However Adam Clarke points out: "Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children—This necessarily implies—If the children walk in the steps of their fathers; for no man can be condemned by Divine justice for a crime of which he was never guilty; see Ezekiel 18."

"If a parent sows the seed of idolatry, he is usually going to bear children who will be greatly influenced by his behavior. The children will deny and hate God and worship the idols of man. But note: this does not mean that God holds a child guilty for the sins of his parents. God is not talking about the guilt of sin. He is talking about the results, the consequences of sin. Every person shall bear the judgment and punishment for his own sin. No person will ever be judged and punished for the sins of others." "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin" (Deut. 24:16). POSB

Think about it like this... For the sins of abortion and gay marriage (which the Supreme Court has rulled legal) American is surely to be judged and is being judged. NOW I personally do not support either of these, so as an individual I am not responsible for this sin. BUT since I live in America I am in some ways paying a price for that sin. AND so will my children if America does not repent and turn from such sin.

AND NOT always is the punishment for sin averted even in repentance.

Josiah was a great King who turned Judah back to God but because the sins of Manasseh's 55 year reign were so great, the Lord visited the sins of Manasseh upon the nation of Judah

2 Kings 23:25 And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the LORD with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him.
26 Notwithstanding the LORD turned not from the fierceness of his great wrath, wherewith his anger was kindled against Judah, because of all the provocations that Manasseh had provoked him withal.

In fact we are told that Judah was sent into 70 years of babylonian captivity because of the sins of King Manasseh.

2 Kings 24:3 (KJV) 3 Surely at the commandment of the LORD came this upon Judah, to remove them out of his sight, for the sins of Manasseh, according to all that he did;

And for 70 years the people paid the price of Manasseh's sin. AND during that time there were righteous men who were paying that sin price as well, Ezra, Nehemiah, etc.

A lot here to think about.
Thanks for that information. Very helpful! :angel:

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

Bibleman,

Would you consider it then reasonable to say that a believer in Christ, one that is truly born-again cannot be personally bound by a generational curse (because God has no second-generation children)
BUT - that Christian can live in a situation, family, cultural, societal, governmental that is/does experience a generational curse.

In short, a Christian is not cursed but is living in a cursed world.

I understand this may be an oversimplification, but I want to make sure I am grasping your basic concepts.