Dake Bible Discussion BoardTemptations ,Tests and Trials

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Re: Temptations ,Tests and Trials

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:57 pm
luchnia wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:58 am
branham1965 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:58 pm
All you guys are innocent and pure as the driven snow.

Get real.
Because of Jesus we are purer than driven snow - praise be to God for what He has done for us. We are pure as He is pure because it is Him in us that is pure! :angel:
Jesus is not ashamed to call us brethren. (Heb 2:11)
Amen, great thought! How white are Jesus' garments? There is no darkness in Him. It is an honor to identify with Jesus. I think all too often we fail to recognize how powerful that is.

Word up!

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:28 pm
BTW, there were no bibles till the 1600's or so.
How did the first 15 centuries of folks "build their faith"?
Where did you get this information that there were no Bibles prior to the 1600's or so?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:44 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Where did you get this information that there were no Bibles prior to the 1600's or so?
Perhaps I should have embellished my comment with "widely disseminated, native tongue bibles".
There had been collections of writings before that, but what were the common individual folks using to "build their faith"?

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Hill Top wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Hill Top wrote:
Perhaps I should have embellished my comment with "widely disseminated, native tongue bibles".
There had been collections of writings before that, but what were the common individual folks using to "build their faith"?
I thought you were actually referring to the invention of the printing press and moveable type that made it easier to obtain the Bible. I would not call that "widely disseminated, native tongue" While the Bible was being translated into the languages of many of the European countries, I would not call that widely.... native tongue, but that may simply be a disagreement on word usage between us.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:43 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Hill Top wrote:
I thought you were actually referring to the invention of the printing press and moveable type that made it easier to obtain the Bible. I would not call that "widely disseminated, native tongue" While the Bible was being translated into the languages of many of the European countries, I would not call that widely.... native tongue, but that may simply be a disagreement on word usage between us.
For sure.
I really don't call anything a bible till the KJV was introduced, so when somebody says that without the bible nobody can grow in faith, it disqualifies everyone from the earlier years from that growth.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Earlier I ask about the church fathers and I listed and asked what did Augustine of Hippo write that was counter to the Bible? Or Ambrose? Or Jermone?

To which Hilltop replied: “The bible was hidden by them for centuries because it showed they were out of whack. They still are.” Later he added: “I'm not using my time to research the minions of a false church.”

As to these helping him have the Bible he holds precious and dear he wrote: “They are not the ones responsible for me "having it".” In another thread, he went so far as to say: ”I really don't call anything a bible till the KJV was introduced”

Well… this “minion” Jermone... In 405 Jerome translates the entire Bible into Latin, it is known as the Vulgate. The Vulgate is the all-time most used Bible translation in human history. Used more than the original Greek and the King James Version. A little research will quickly reveal the Vulgate was an influence in the KJV, how much or how little is debated, but the fact that the LV was used is not disputed.

So, this “minion” has touched the KJV.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 pm
Earlier I ask about the church fathers and I listed and asked what did Augustine of Hippo write that was counter to the Bible? Or Ambrose? Or Jermone?

To which Hilltop replied: “The bible was hidden by them for centuries because it showed they were out of whack. They still are.” Later he added: “I'm not using my time to research the minions of a false church.”

As to these helping him have the Bible he holds precious and dear he wrote: “They are not the ones responsible for me "having it".” In another thread, he went so far as to say: ”I really don't call anything a bible till the KJV was introduced”

Well… this “minion” Jermone... In 405 Jerome translates the entire Bible into Latin, it is known as the Vulgate. The Vulgate is the all-time most used Bible translation in human history. Used more than the original Greek and the King James Version. A little research will quickly reveal the Vulgate was an influence in the KJV, how much or how little is debated, but the fact that the LV was used is not disputed.

So, this “minion” has touched the KJV.
Who did Jerome work for?
How much of the population was privy to his translation?
If the Mormon church calls a guy a saint...is he really a saint?
How about if the JWs, or the Hindus call a man a saint...is he?
If the Vulgate had not been translated, would the KJV never have come about?
By crediting a member of a "certain sect", you credit the sect with complicity with God.
I feel that is a mistake.

If God can use Pharaoh to His own glory, He can use the worst of men for His own glory.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 am
We will never know, will we? But history cannot be revised with "what if's".

All I am asking from you is consistency. At one point you say you want nothing to do with anything touched by certain groups, and then later you turn around and hold tight to things touched by them.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am
Hill Top wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 am
We will never know, will we? But history cannot be revised with "what if's".

All I am asking from you is consistency. At one point you say you want nothing to do with anything touched by certain groups, and then later you turn around and hold tight to things touched by them.
As far as I'm concerned, God can use anything for His goals...to His glory.
Even if it is a wicked man or institution.
The "credit" is God's, not their's.

If the Vulgate was in any way tainted by an institution at it's beginning, God will have weeded it out by now.
I'm astonished that that institution left so much in that condemns that institution. ie..."call no man on earth your father", and "forbidding to eat meats...", and "forbidding to marry...".
Even "thou shalt not kill" is left in, while their priests blessed bombs in WW II.