Dake Bible Discussion BoardHoly Spirit convicts the world of sin, not saints.

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
God is Able to Make All Grace Abound Toward You; that Ye May Always Have All Sufficiency in All Things

Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, not saints.

Post by luchnia » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Have you heard people say that the Holy Spirit convicts you of sin? I have heard this quite often and immediately red flags come up. This is another misunderstood bible subject that is thrown about carelessly. According to the text the Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin. How can a saint be convicted of sin? A saint is not even of this world, much-less in sin. How can a person that is dead to sin be convicted of sin?

Notice the verses in question and how Jesus explains it. The conviction of sin is because they do not believe in Jesus. What saint of God doesn't believe in Jesus? I find the next part of the statement about conviction of righteousness because Jesus left and judgment because the ruler of the world is judged extremely thought provoking.

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

Word up!