Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe requirements of salvation

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
God is Able to Make All Grace Abound Toward You; that Ye May Always Have All Sufficiency in All Things

The requirements of salvation

Post by luchnia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:34 am

In Romans chapter 10 Paul describes Israel's zeal for God, yet shows they are ignorant of God's righteousness. Paul lays out a simple plan of salvation for all men. In verses 9 and 10 Paul shows what is required for salvation, stating that the one that confesses with the mouth and believes in the heart that God raised Jesus from the dead shall be saved. There are no other requirements or questions concerning salvation that Paul stated here. The simplicity of salvation is nothing short of amazing and the fact that all the ordinances are not required is all the more so amazing.

Paul basically states that the righteous man believes from his heart and confesses out of his mouth what is in his heart. As Dake states it, believing and calling on the name of the Lord is effectually the same which we find in verses 9-13. Peter echoes the same thing in Acts 2:21. If a man desires salvation, he can believe in his heart and confess with his mouth and be saved. The death and resurrection of Christ is fully effective to save any who come believing that God raised Jesus from the dead. If a man acts upon the word of faith he will be saved. That is something worth shouting about!

Romans 10:1-13 (KJV)
1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Re: The requirements of salvation

Post by bibleman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:39 pm

luchnia wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:34 am
In Romans chapter 10 Paul describes Israel's zeal for God, yet shows they are ignorant of God's righteousness. Paul lays out a simple plan of salvation for all men. In verses 9 and 10 Paul shows what is required for salvation, stating that the one that confesses with the mouth and believes in the heart that God raised Jesus from the dead shall be saved. There are no other requirements or questions concerning salvation that Paul stated here. The simplicity of salvation is nothing short of amazing and the fact that all the ordinances are not required is all the more so amazing.

Paul basically states that the righteous man believes from his heart and confesses out of his mouth what is in his heart. As Dake states it, believing and calling on the name of the Lord is effectually the same which we find in verses 9-13. Peter echoes the same thing in Acts 2:21. If a man desires salvation, he can believe in his heart and confess with his mouth and be saved. The death and resurrection of Christ is fully effective to save any who come believing that God raised Jesus from the dead. If a man acts upon the word of faith he will be saved. That is something worth shouting about!

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Great word - God has made salvation very simple and easy for anyone who will just take Him at His word!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:50 pm

I think I'm pretty good at complicating things that seem simple. So, let me give it a try, here... :mrgreen:
luchnia wrote:
Paul basically states that the righteous man believes from his heart and confesses out of his mouth what is in his heart.

I would differ regarding the wording... The unrighteous man believes unto righteousness and then confesses with his mouth.

What does it mean to believe "unto righteousness"? Does believing "unto righteousness" necessitate a change in behaviour? Does it require any action on the part of the unrighteous man to become righteous? How does an unrighteous man become righteous? And, since it is still necessary for the righteous man to do something to be saved, being righteous, in and of itself, is not enough to save a person, right?

Acts 10:42-43 King James Version
"And He commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God to be the Judge of Quick and Dead. To Him give all the Prophets witness, that through His Name WHOSEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHALL RECEIVE REMISSION OF SINS."

luchnia
God is Able to Make All Grace Abound Toward You; that Ye May Always Have All Sufficiency in All Things

Post by luchnia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:50 pm
I think I'm pretty good at complicating things that seem simple. So, let me give it a try, here... :mrgreen:
luchnia wrote:
Paul basically states that the righteous man believes from his heart and confesses out of his mouth what is in his heart.

I would differ regarding the wording... The unrighteous man believes unto righteousness and then confesses with his mouth.

What does it mean to believe "unto righteousness"? Does believing "unto righteousness" necessitate a change in behaviour? Does it require any action on the part of the unrighteous man to become righteous? How does an unrighteous man become righteous? And, since it is still necessary for the righteous man to do something to be saved, being righteous, in and of itself, is not enough to save a person, right?
My perception is that the heart change has taken place in order to believe unto righteousness. In my case when I converted I changed inside and started a process. One thing to also consider is the "when" that this takes place. I think the atom or millisecond of time when the inner man changes the process has begun.

I get what you are stating about the righteous man doing something. Do you think that the confession is that first action or do you think it is more for the first action such as walking as the new man in Christ?

Word up!

Hill Top
Behold, I Give You Power to Tread Over All the Power of the Enemy

Post by Hill Top » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:03 pm

luchnia wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm
luchnia wrote:

My perception is that the heart change has taken place in order to believe unto righteousness. In my case when I converted I changed inside and started a process. One thing to also consider is the "when" that this takes place. I think the atom or millisecond of time when the inner man changes the process has begun.

I get what you are stating about the righteous man doing something. Do you think that the confession is that first action or do you think it is more for the first action such as walking as the new man in Christ?
Your simplicity is getting more complicated by the paragraph.

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 pm

luchnia wrote:

Here is one for thought. Many place the born again experience entirely on God, yet what did Jesus mean when he told Nicodemus YOU must be born again? You notice that Jesus did not say, don't bother with it, I will born you again. The born again experience is something that comes from the Word as we see in the text in Romans 10.

I have often thought about the responsibility that is on unrighteous man's shoulders to come to God through Jesus. The word preached pierces the heart of the unrighteous man and he comes to God repenting (conversion) as he knows from the word preached/heard.

Word up!