Dake Bible Discussion BoardJehovah Witnesses

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
All Things, Whatsoever Ye Shall Ask in Prayer, Believing, Ye Shall Receive

Jehovah Witnesses

Post by Hill Top » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:36 pm

Got invited to a JW bible study by some "visitors".
I went, hoping to talk to anyone possible about life without sin.
Surprisingly, I learned something from their study that I didn't know before.
"Corban"...(Mk 7:11) is money/goods promised to the temple.
This was illicitly used as an excuse to keep the money/goods instead of using it to support one's parents in their old age or need.
Though promised to the temple, corban could and was still used by the "donor" for their own personal usages.
Was anyone here aware of that?

BTW, I was able to talk to a few men about perfection, and gave away several of my cards so they can, when willing, call me about the truth.
Please pray for those still "on the fence".

luchnia
Disperse Abroad! Give to the Poor! So Shall Thy Righteousness Remain Evermore!

Re: Jehovah Witnesses

Post by luchnia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:02 am

Hill Top wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:36 pm
This was illicitly used as an excuse to keep the money/goods instead of using it to support one's parents in their old age or need.
Though promised to the temple, corban could and was still used by the "donor" for their own personal usages.

BTW, I was able to talk to a few men about perfection, and gave away several of my cards so they can, when willing, call me about the truth.
We have some JWs around here. I rarely ever speak with them as I simply do not see them. I have heard of corban, but had no clue what that was. Doesn't seem scriptural, but most of JWs stuff isn't scriptural. You told them to call you about the truth when they were willling?

Word up!

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pm

luchnia wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:02 am
We have some JWs around here. I rarely ever speak with them as I simply do not see them. I have heard of corban, but had no clue what that was. Doesn't seem scriptural, but most of JWs stuff isn't scriptural.

Why doesn't it "sound" scriptural?
It isn't of God, if that is what you mean, but is another doctrine of men that the Jews raised above Godliness for their own personal profit.
There isn't anything in scripture to explain Corban, so the JW explanation was...thought provoking.
I also noticed that the word "Corban" is capitalized. I hadn't actually realized that before either.
You told them to call you about the truth when they were willing?
No, I didn't "tell" them to do anything.
I just gave a card to those that I did have a chance to speak with.

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pm
There isn't anything in scripture to explain Corban
It is clear from Mark 7:11 that "Corban" is a gift.

I like Dake's note on Matthew 15:5.
[gift] Greek: doron (GSN-<G1435>), anything that is dedicated (Mt. 5:23-24; 8:4; 23:18-19; Mk. 7:11; Heb. 5:1; 8:3-4; 9:9; 11:4). It is translated offering (Lk. 21:4). Children who did not want to support parents used this tradition as an excuse to evade the law. They would enter into a deal with a corrupt priest for a small percent to dedicate things to God which should go to parents. They then could claim them to be God's and not their own. Thus they would be free from any obligation to parents.

Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.
Dake says that Corban is "anything that is dedicated."

From this and what you've written, I think it is fair to conclude that people used to dedicate things to God to get out of supporting their parents (or possibly doing anything for anyone else with those things), but delayed actually giving them to God so that they could continue to gain the benefit of those things for as long as possible.

Sounds like people were saying to their parents that "Everything I am, have, and do, is dedicated to God, so I cannot help you."

Acts 10:42-43 King James Version
"And He commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God to be the Judge of Quick and Dead. To Him give all the Prophets witness, that through His Name WHOSEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHALL RECEIVE REMISSION OF SINS."

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Dake says that Corban is "anything that is dedicated."

From this and what you've written, I think it is fair to conclude that people used to dedicate things to God to get out of supporting their parents (or possibly doing anything for anyone else with those things), but delayed actually giving them to God so that they could continue to gain the benefit of those things for as long as possible.

Sounds like people were saying to their parents that "Everything I am, have, and do, is dedicated to God, so I cannot help you."
That sounds like it is "right on the money"!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 am

Dream on.They will convert you before you ever convert them.

Hill Top wrote:

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:08 pm

branham1965 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 am

Hill Top wrote:

I imagine they are a difficult group to convert, but there is always hope for any of these groups to find a saving knowledge of God.

I was reading a chart somewhere on all the differences in the various religions and found it rather amazing. They all seem to share bits and pieces of truth, but not a wholeness of it. Some outright deny the resurrection of Jesus and as we know, the teaching of denying that Jesus came in the flesh comes from a spirit of anti christ.

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pm
luchnia wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:02 am
We have some JWs around here. I rarely ever speak with them as I simply do not see them. I have heard of corban, but had no clue what that was. Doesn't seem scriptural, but most of JWs stuff isn't scriptural.

Why doesn't it "sound" scriptural?
It isn't of God, if that is what you mean, but is another doctrine of men that the Jews raised above Godliness for their own personal profit.
There isn't anything in scripture to explain Corban, so the JW explanation was...thought provoking.
I also noticed that the word "Corban" is capitalized. I hadn't actually realized that before either.
You told them to call you about the truth when they were willing?
No, I didn't "tell" them to do anything.
I just gave a card to those that I did have a chance to speak with.
Do you think they will invite you back? :mrgreen:

Word up!

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:56 pm

branham1965 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 am
LOL...
Not surprisingly, two of the JWs came over to my apartment again on Sunday.
Their goal was short term, being an attempt to get me flowing along with their "agenda".
Every time they brought something up, I replied with a scripture that tied their message to living without sin.
When I asked them, again, if they lived without sin they tried to dilute the definition of sin or site the training involved in almost any other endevour...like fire fighting or accounting.
Their point being, that it takes years of training to live without sin.
Sorry, that trick don't hold water in my house.
We are all given pastors and teachers in our initial walk with Christ, and, as I have experienced, sometimes God will step in to teach when His servants need help.
Plus we have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost with which to measure both that which we are taught and our actions in this world.
With our "flesh" having been crucified with Christ at out WATER baptism...along with the affections and lusts of the now dead old man, we can conduct ourselves in a Godly manner without two or three years of "training".
Oh well...
I hope they keep coming back.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm

luchnia wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:08 pm
I imagine they are a difficult group to convert, but there is always hope for any of these groups to find a saving knowledge of God.

I was reading a chart somewhere on all the differences in the various religions and found it rather amazing. They all seem to share bits and pieces of truth, but not a wholeness of it. Some outright deny the resurrection of Jesus and as we know, the teaching of denying that Jesus came in the flesh comes from a spirit of anti christ.
I'ld like to see that chart, if you can direct me to it.