Dake Bible Discussion BoardI wonder...

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
Go Forth, Preaching Every Where... And, the Lord Shall Work With You, Confirming His Word With Signs Following

Re: I wonder...

Post by Hill Top » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:59 pm

luchnia wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:38 am
Case one is a saint who really does not understand sin, is confused, and is really not in sin, but thinks stubbing their toe is sin. Case two is one who is really sinning, doing evil, and not converted, but has been deceived to think they can sin and are still saved.
In the first case it is an education problem - ignorance to what the Word teaches concerning freedom from sin. Usually it stems from being under teaching all your life that you are a depraved sinner, that will never change, and you are powerless to change it. It teaches that accepting Jesus does indeed save you, yet you can never be free from the yoke of sin as long as you are living in your flesh body. It is as if there are blinders on the person about what sin really is.
To this man, I would show from scripture that the old man, flesh, affections, and lusts can be killed, buried, and he can be raised from the grave, with Christ, by water baptism.
We are new creatures reborn of God's seed and cannot commit sin anymore.
I would use James 1 to show there can be no sin without temptation, lust, enticement, and birth (of the sin).
No sin is accidental.
The second case is one of darkness and following satan. The person is in sin and does not choose to stop and somehow has believed the lie that God saves all no matter what. Their heart has never been pricked by God's word. There is no Godly sorrow there, and as long as they never receive Jesus, they stay in darkness. This group really knows nothing about God, nor cares to. God is a foreign word to them and anything about God is foolishness.
I don't meet as many in group two in my walk. When you are around this group you can sense the darkness in them. To me this group is challenging and requires much more discernment in delivering God's word.
These are the ones who actually (mis)use scripture to accommodate sin.
No matter how ignorant they are of scripture, they all know 1 John 1:8.
God has revealed to me how John is writing about two very different kinds of walk.
One in darkness, and the other in light.
Verses 6, 8, and 10 are addressed to those in darkness...they cannot say they have no sin.
Verses 5, 7, and 9 are addressed to those who walk in the light...where there is no darkness-sin.
They have confessed their sins and been washed of their past sins with the blood of Christ.
They CAN say they have no sin.
It is incumbent on them to remain in the light to refrain from future sin.
The second verses they will try to use are from Romans 7; Paul's lament of his pre-converted life .
For this scenario, I show them how the middle of Romans 7 is in the "present-historical" tense, and not about Paul's present state in Christ.
I show how his dilemma in Rom 7:23, is answered in Romans 8:2.
And I show how his lament in verse 24, is answered in Romans 6:6.
Romans 7 is a transition point between life walked in the flesh, under the Law, and life walked in the Spirit, free from the Law.

I thank God every day for the knowledge of how to refute the misuse of both 1 John 1:8 and Romans 7.