Dake Bible Discussion BoardSpirit or spirit?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Spirit or spirit?

Post by macca »

I believe that Galatians. 5:16-26; should be 'walk in the spirit' meaning walk in our spirit not our flesh.

What think you?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Re: Spirit or spirit?

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 am
I believe that Galatians. 5:16-26; should be 'walk in the spirit' meaning walk in our spirit not our flesh.
What think you?
Hi, macca.
As the word "Spirit" is capitalized there, I can't agree with you.
It isn't "our" Spirit, but the Spirit given to us from God.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

macca wrote:

What think you?
I would be curious to your rationale. I have read quite a bit of research on this very thing, but not from this text. The one I think has most question is the verses about "praying in the Spirit" which some do believe means man's spirit. There is some controversy over that one.

I think in this light we see Paul was dealing with the Galatian saints, born of God, falling away from God to follow sin (the works of the flesh) and then thinking they could be justified by the law. Looking at the whole chapter it would be hard for me to conclude that this was each person's individual spirit and not the nature of the Holy Spirit that man is to walk by.

Certainly man's spirit must align with the Spirit. Notice where Paul goes on to talk about being "led by the Spirit" and also illustrating the fruits of the Spirit. Maybe this whole concept is the unity and alignment with the Holy Spirit and our spirits working together in our Christian walk for God's purpose bearing the "fruits of the Spirit" by which no law of the flesh can defeat.

I do think there are some places where the use of capitalization of the S in spirit is questionable. I await your thoughts about why you think it should be a small s.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Hey macca

i heard Dad Hagin teach this and Brother Copeland too.They say the spirit is the recreated human spirit with the life (zoe) and nature of God in it.

macca wrote:

What think you?

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Post by macca »

branham1965 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:45 am
Hey macca

i heard Dad Hagin teach this and Brother Copeland too.They say the spirit is the recreated human spirit with the life (zoe) and nature of God in it.

macca wrote:

What think you?

Yes Billy, that's what got me thinking.