Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe science of sin

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

The science of sin

Post by luchnia »

The sin topic is one that evades many. We have posted on this before, yet sometimes it is good to refresh one's mind to how sin works. In the first chapter of James, verse 12, we see that James writes to the 12 tribes scattered abroad and tells the saints how that if they endure temptation they will receive the crown of life. He also shows the mathematics of sin in the following verses.

In these verses we see that man is not tempted by God, but is drawn away of his own lust and enticed. This is the first phase of how sin works:

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

At the point of being drawn away and enticed sin has not been brought forth or committed. However, if not contained look at what happens next:

15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Notice that this lust must be conceived before sin can be brought forth and then of course spiritual death - separation from God follows. What can stop lust from birthing? How does one get this under control?

James also tells the saints to not be erroneous and that every good and perfect gift is from above and God will not turn from that.

16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

In verses 21-25 we find how a man can refrain from the sin business and remain in union with God. What is it that will keep you from falling? How can you stop temptation dead in its tracks, and not give in to sin? James says to lay apart some unrighteous things and receive the engrafted word which is able to save your soul. What did Jesus do when He was tempted?

21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

What are temptations and lust but things that oppose God? Notice in 2 Cor 10:3-6 especially verse 5 that shows us we can cast down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God. Every thought can be brought captive by man. Men that choose sin over God have given in to things that oppose God. Peter denied Jesus, Judas gave Him up, many followed Him no more. They where drawn away and enticed and gave birth to their lust, thus bringing forth sin and spiritual death. All that was left was true repentance and coming back in union with God.

3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Word up!

TruthSeeker
Malachi

Re: The science of sin

Post by TruthSeeker »

[quote=luchnia post_id=97399 time=1543064107 user_id=17729]

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. [/i]

That phrase "drawn away of his own lust" is one that I do not understand. Not sure why it is described as "his own lust". How can a believer own something that is against God's character. For in Galatians 5:24 it says we have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

TruthSeeker wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:16 am
luchnia wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:55 am

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. [/i]

That phrase "drawn away of his own lust" is one that I do not understand. Not sure why it is described as "his own lust". How can a believer own something that is against God's character. For in Galatians 5:24 it says we have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
You pose some really good thoughts.

Maybe think of it this way as Paul was writing to the Galatians in chapter 5, Paul tell the Galatians that the law is fulfilled in loving your neighbor as yourself and then he goes on to say, "But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another" and finally he says "walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."

Paul shows the fine line that must be walked and the fact that the very same person that is able to "love one another" can "bite and devour one another." The question in my mind is how does one get to that place? We come to a place that we know we identify with Jesus, and yet, we can be borderline with our walk to the point we can get desensitized to what is right.

As you pointed out those that are Christ have crucified the flesh with the affections and lust, but what happens when a man is temped, drawn away, and then walks in the flesh again? We know that we must not allow temptation to create desire in us. That very liberty that we have can become an occasion to the flesh. Can that temptation draw the man away by his desire?

I like what Dake says in his notes on Galatians 5:13, "You have been called to total freedom from all the law, but do not let this cause you to think that you have no responsibility to live right. The new covenant also demands righteousness of all people and the love of neighbors as yourself."

Word up!

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

TruthSeeker wrote:
The devil uses our "past" lusts in his attempts to make us turn from God.
I never robbed banks when I was of this world, so I am never tempted to do so now that I am not of this world.
I am, however, tempted to see girls in an unGodly manner...but have been blessed by God with the power to ignore and refuse to act on that past lust.
That lust was crucified with the flesh and vile affections. (Gal 5:24)

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:11 pm
TruthSeeker wrote:
I am, however, tempted to see girls in an unGodly manner...but have been blessed by God with the power to ignore and refuse to act on that past lust.
Glad you posted this. I remember as a younger man this was a real struggle for me. Out of all the temptations out there, my eyes would cause me problems when it came to girls. It was a challenge after I was saved for quite a number of years, yet I continued to fight that desire much as you did and continue to engraft God's word into me.

You prove an excellent point with the fact that you refuse to act on past lust, thus walking in the Spirit keeps you from being drawn away and giving in.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Phil

That is the most honest post you have made in my opinion.

Hill Top wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:11 pm
TruthSeeker wrote:
The devil uses our "past" lusts in his attempts to make us turn from God.
I never robbed banks when I was of this world, so I am never tempted to do so now that I am not of this world.
That lust was crucified with the flesh and vile affections. (Gal 5:24)

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 pm
Glad you posted this. I remember as a younger man this was a real struggle for me. Out of all the temptations out there, my eyes would cause me problems when it came to girls. It was a challenge after I was saved for quite a number of years, yet I continued to fight that desire much as you did and continue to engraft God's word into me.
You prove an excellent point with the fact that you refuse to act on past lust, thus walking in the Spirit keeps you from being drawn away and giving in.
Oak trees CANNOT bear onions !

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

branham1965 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:24 am
Phil
That is the most honest post you have made in my opinion.
I guess this is a compliment, so thank you.
But it makes me think you find other posts as dishonest.
Could you point to one particular post you find dishonest?

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

Hill Top wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:53 pm
luchnia wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 pm
Oak trees CANNOT bear onions !
That is so true. Also it is true that oak tree branches can die, discontinue to bear, and be cast into the fire and burned!

Word up!

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

luchnia wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:16 pm
That is so true. Also it is true that oak tree branches can die, discontinue to bear, and be cast into the fire and burned!
Could it ever bear anything but more oaks?