Dake Bible Discussion BoardPurpose of the law

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Hill Top
We Receive of Him, Because We Keep His Commandments

Re: Purpose of the law

Post by Hill Top » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 pm
Although interesting to think about, none of those questions or objections change the fact that if you do not eat His flesh and blood, you have no life in you.
Which kind of bread?
I once asked a chef at a restaurant to make me unleavened bread, (while I was out of town).
He was Hispanic and couldn't figure out what I was trying to get at till I told him it was for communion.
Then he understood "unleavened". But we called it a "pancake"
Was I wasting my time?
Or could I have just had a Saltine cracker with my wine?

If a certain kind of bread is, or isn't important, how does it get changed into the Lord's body?

As I said before, I believe that God made everything, and everything consists of Jesus Christ.

macca
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member

Post by macca » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 am

Again confusion reigns because of arguments over words.
Jesus was talking to Jews who were not born-again who had a mental knowledge of the Law and the Prophets.
He concluded His teaching with these words '''It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak to you are Spirit and they are life'''''

Then Peter confirms Jesus's statement with his answer to the question, ''will you also go away?'''
Peter: Lord, to whom shall we go? You have THE WORDS OF ETERNAL LIFE'''''''''''''

We eat Jesus's flesh and drink His blood by listening and receiving the Words of Jesus.....The Word of God is Jesus.

macca

luchnia
May God Who Ministereth Seed to the Sower Increase the Fruits of Your Righteousness

Post by luchnia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:57 am

macca wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 am
Thanks for the post. I think some is about words, yet also I think much of it is not understanding nor agreeing on God's word. I think this is how these threads get sideways. I do believe we know few will agree and especially when dealing with topics like this one. I have known a number of people over the years that do not understand water baptism, nor the other baptisms for the believer for that matter. People rather hold to bias than seek out a matter before God.

Consider when one places a standard of interpretation on one term, but does not place the same standard on another term what the end results are. In this case "water baptism" is placed in one miraculous light and then "blood and body" to mean something else entirely.

It is a double-standard and seems that was what we were pointing out. These double-standards will not end up with an accurate understanding of the things in God's word and will always end up in confusion. This instance is not unusual at all, we see this all the time and so often, the individual fails to see this.

At least it keeps us challenged and we can continue to sharpen each other as long as we are pressed against the metal. :angel:

Word up!

luchnia
May God Who Ministereth Seed to the Sower Increase the Fruits of Your Righteousness

Post by luchnia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:10 am

Hill Top wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 pm
...and everything consists of Jesus Christ.
I think this belief is part of the pantheism and new age religion and maybe some others as well. Shirley MacClaine believed that everything consists of god or similar and also I think she was into reincarnation and other obscure beliefs because of it.

She, among many others, are good examples of misunderstanding and misguided knowledge about a few verses in Colosians. Hopefully you don't believe this way.

Word up!

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 pm

macca wrote:
Jesus was talking to Jews who were not born-again who had a mental knowledge of the Law and the Prophets.
He concluded His teaching with these words '''It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak to you are Spirit and they are life'''''
Then Peter confirms Jesus's statement with his answer to the question, ''will you also go away?'''
Peter: Lord, to whom shall we go? You have THE WORDS OF ETERNAL LIFE'''''''''''''
We eat Jesus's flesh and drink His blood by listening and receiving the Words of Jesus.....The Word of God is Jesus.
Hi, Macca.
I don't think it is a matter of words so much as differing perspectives.
The bible says Jesus called the bread and wine His body and blood.
I don't dispute that, and in fact do believe it.
But as you point out, from John 6, we eat, partake of, live by, the words of Christ.
In addition, (back to water baptism), we live OF Christ, as we are raised from the dead, with Christ, to "walk in newness of life".(Rom 6:4)
Without that opportunity, we would all still be dead in trespasses and sins.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:14 pm

luchnia wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:10 am
Hill Top wrote:
...and everything consists of Jesus Christ.
I think this belief is part of the pantheism and new age religion and maybe some others as well. Shirley MacClaine believed that everything consists of god or similar and also I think she was into reincarnation and other obscure beliefs because of it.

She, among many others, are good examples of misunderstanding and misguided knowledge about a few verses in Colosians. Hopefully you don't believe this way.
You can tell she doesn't really believe it by her addition of "or similar" to her thesis.
(Or did you add that on?)
Do you really think she was reading Colossians when she came up with that?

New question...
Do you think that those in Christ consist of Christ?

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 pm
Although interesting to think about, none of those questions or objections change the fact that if you do not eat His flesh and blood, you have no life in you.
Which kind of bread?
The kind that is His flesh.

Acts 10:42-43 King James Version
"And He commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God to be the Judge of Quick and Dead. To Him give all the Prophets witness, that through His Name WHOSEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHALL RECEIVE REMISSION OF SINS."

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Ironman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

macca wrote:

macca
:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm
How is that determined?
Or is all bread His flesh?

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm
How is that determined?
Or is all bread His flesh?
How do you know which water is His blood to baptize in?
Is all water His blood?

Acts 10:42-43 King James Version
"And He commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God to be the Judge of Quick and Dead. To Him give all the Prophets witness, that through His Name WHOSEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHALL RECEIVE REMISSION OF SINS."