Dake Bible Discussion BoardDeparting from the living God

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Departing from the living God

Post by luchnia »

In chapter 3 of Hebrews, the author expounds about faithfulness using Christ as an example and warns the born again believers not to depart from the living God. Hebrews states that they can fall into unbelief and have an evil heart and depart from the living God and uses examples of those that fell away from being deceived.

12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

The author warns of the dangers of hardening your heart and falling to unbelief. There are a number of words used to show how one must walk if they are not to fall away. The Word of God has many words of responsibility. Hebrews, chapter 3, has words like faithful, hold, hear, harden not, take heed, exhort, steadfast, that show how much responsibility is on man to abide and remain faithful.

I have heard people say that believing and abiding in Jesus is easy peasy, yet in my entire life I have never found it to be that way, nor have I found that God's word teaches it to be so easy. I think those that believe that are misguided and don't understand what is required. I think one is required to be extremely diligent to remain faithful. If it were all that easy to believe then why would one have to remain faithful at all? In our day and time, just how difficult is it to remain in Christ? Is it easy or is an extremely hard work?

Word up!

TruthSeeker
Malachi

Re: Departing from the living God

Post by TruthSeeker »

luchnia wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 am
In chapter 3 of Hebrews, the author expounds about faithfulness using Christ as an example and warns the born again believers not to depart from the living God. Hebrews states that they can fall into unbelief and have an evil heart and depart from the living God and uses examples of those that fell away from being deceived.

12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

The author warns of the dangers of hardening your heart and falling to unbelief. There are a number of words used to show how one must walk if they are not to fall away. The Word of God has many words of responsibility. Hebrews, chapter 3, has words like faithful, hold, hear, harden not, take heed, exhort, steadfast, that show how much responsibility is on man to abide and remain faithful.

I have heard people say that believing and abiding in Jesus is easy peasy, yet in my entire life I have never found it to be that way, nor have I found that God's word teaches it to be so easy. I think those that believe that are misguided and don't understand what is required. I think one is required to be extremely diligent to remain faithful. If it were all that easy to believe then why would one have to remain faithful at all? In our day and time, just how difficult is it to remain in Christ? Is it easy or is an extremely hard work?
Good post and it is important we as believers know the answer to your questions. A couple of good scriptures to meditate and to confess on a regular basis are;
Philippians 2:13 - "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."
Psalm 40:8 - " I delight to do thy will, O my God:.."

Then according to parable of sower in Mark 4 one must resist the cares of this world, deceitfulness of riches, and lust for other things so they don't get into one's heart. And know that afflictions and persecutions will come for the word's sake.

As a believer continues in His word and learns to yield to the Holy Spirit it does become easier to resists temptations, trials, etc. A big key is knowing who we are in Christ, that we have victory over sin, and that we do have God's ability working in us to always be obedient.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

TruthSeeker wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am
luchnia wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 am

Good post and it is important we as believers know the answer to your questions. A couple of good scriptures to meditate and to confess on a regular basis are;
Philippians 2:13 - "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."
Psalm 40:8 - " I delight to do thy will, O my God:.."

Then according to parable of sower in Mark 4 one must resist the cares of this world, deceitfulness of riches, and lust for other things so they don't get into one's heart. And know that afflictions and persecutions will come for the word's sake.

As a believer continues in His word and learns to yield to the Holy Spirit it does become easier to resists temptations, trials, etc. A big key is knowing who we are in Christ, that we have victory over sin, and that we do have God's ability working in us to always be obedient.
Good post and thanks for responding. Looking at Philippians 2 where the verse you posted comes from, there are more amazing verses:

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

I think it is very interesting how verse 12 and 13 are entwined. To get the intended balance of those two requires some serious thought. Notice how he says, "..as ye have always obeyed.." then follows by the working out of of one's salvation then finally God working in one to will and do of His good pleasure.

I may be wrong, but it seems working obedience is the key to this. As if to state, you must obey before God will work through you. If no obedience at work, no God working through you. Can you imagine the state of being fully blameless and harmless in the midst of a perverse and crooked nation shining as lights?

The child of God must not be affected by those that attempt to dim that light, but KNOW they are in the position that God says as long as they obey.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Oh there is truth to all that.BUT Churches EVANGELICALS/ FULL GOSPEL CHURCHES

that teach only that side are going into oblivion.

And thank Jehovah that they are.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I should have said that their are 2 TWO sides of the issue.Justice and Mercy.

They both need to be taught.If only one side is taught people turn out warped and unhealthy.

[quote=branham1965 post_id=97336 time=1542309332 user_id=4769]
Oh there is truth to all that......