Dake Bible Discussion BoardOld or new

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
macca
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member

Re: Old or new

Post by macca » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm

What part of the old covenant are we still under Roger?

luchnia
May God Who Ministereth Seed to the Sower Increase the Fruits of Your Righteousness

Post by luchnia » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:25 pm
luchnia wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:17 am
I may be confused on where you guys are going here and please elaborate if that appears to be the case.
I think Macca's point is that the verse is saying that the entire Old Testament is done away. I don't believe that that is what this verse is saying. I think it is saying that the veil is done away in Christ.
That would be a problem, because that was when many of the covenants and promises from God that are eternal were made. There is a difference between the old covenant and all of the books in the old testament. It would be like saying Job was under the old Mosaic law covenant, or that Abraham was.

Word up!

Hill Top
We Receive of Him, Because We Keep His Commandments

Post by Hill Top » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 pm

luchnia wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm
luchnia wrote:
I may be confused on where you guys are going here and please elaborate if that appears to be the case.
I think Macca's point is that the verse is saying that the entire Old Testament is done away. I don't believe that that is what this verse is saying. I think it is saying that the veil is done away in Christ.
That would be a problem, because that was when many of the covenants and promises from God that are eternal were made. There is a difference between the old covenant and all of the books in the old testament. It would be like saying Job was under the old Mosaic law covenant, or that Abraham was.
Perhaps this is a difference between "covenant" and "testament".

luchnia
May God Who Ministereth Seed to the Sower Increase the Fruits of Your Righteousness

Post by luchnia » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 pm
luchnia wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm
luchnia wrote:
Perhaps this is a difference between "covenant" and "testament".
I agree totally. Also the Old Testament verses the testament of a testator.

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm

macca wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm
What part of the old covenant are we still under Roger?
Hi, Macca,

It depends upon what you mean by the term 'old covenant.'

If you mean the entire Old Testament, there's a lot that we're still under. If you mean the Mosaic Law given at Sinai, we aren't under any of it, except some universal laws that applied not only to Israel, but also to every nation. Those laws were not done away with. They were pre-existent to the Mosaic Law and the Mosaic Law included them.

The question at hand, though, about whether or not it was the veil or the old covenant that was done away with in 2nd Cor. 3:14 has been answered though. It is the veil, if the conditions are met.

Acts 10:42-43 King James Version
"And He commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is He which was ordained of God to be the Judge of Quick and Dead. To Him give all the Prophets witness, that through His Name WHOSEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHALL RECEIVE REMISSION OF SINS."