Dake Bible Discussion BoardOld or new

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Old or new

Post by macca »

What is wrong with this verse?

2 Cor. 3:14;
But their minds were blinded: for until this day remains the same vail untaken away in reading the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Re: Old or new

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remains the same vail untaken away in reading the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
I'll bite...what is wrong with it?
Besides the archaic spelling of "vail".

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

macca wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

The vail, untaken away. Many people to this very day believe the ten commandments including the sabbath are still in force.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

Ironman wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:47 pm
The vail, untaken away. Many people to this very day believe the ten commandments including the sabbath are still in force.
How does that make the verse "wrong"?

Your post made me think of the new "law of liberty"...freedom from the Mosaic Law.
"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." (Gal 5:1)
That yoke of bondage included WAY more than just the ten commandments.
"So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty." (James 2:12)
We can see that though the ten commandments aren't "enforced", they are still pertinent to the Spiritual result of loving our brothers as ourselves. (Excepting the Sabbath observance)

macca

Post by macca »

2 Cor. 3:14; for until this day remains the same vail untaken away in the reading of THE OLD TESTAMENT; WHICH IS DONE AWAY IN CHRIST.

What is wrong about this verse is the inclusion of the word "vail" in the last phrase ' which is done away in Christ'
For the word "vail' is not in the Greek of the original .

Therefore what this verse is actually saying is that " The old Testament (old covenant) is done away with in Christ"

macca

Post by macca »

Take it up with the Authorized Edition 1611, and Finnis J Dake GPFM Lesson 32 at the end of the first paragraph.
I can not read Greek but I trust Dake.