Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe Hollow Place

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

The Hollow Place

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Judges 15:19 King James Version
But God clave an hollow place THAT WAS IN THE JAW, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived: wherefore he called the name thereof Enhakkore, which is in Lehi unto this day.

Judges 15:19 New King James Version
So God split the hollow place THAT IS IN LEHI, and water came out, and he drank; and his spirit returned, and he revived. Therefore he called its name En Hakkore, which is in Lehi to this day.

On this verse, Dake notes: "What an outstanding miracle -- a hollow place made in the jawbone of an ass, with water coming out by invisible power! (Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.)

Every major translation that I have checked (NKJV, AMP, ASV, CSB, ESV, HSCB, NAB, NASB ('77 & '95), NIV ('84 and '11), NLT, NRSV, RSV, & YLT) agrees that the hollow place was at Lehi and not in the jaw.

How does the Dake NKJV Annotated Reference Bible handle this verse?

Job 14:4 King James Version
Who can bring a CLEAN thing out of an UNCLEAN? Not one.

bibleman
Administrator

Re: The Hollow Place

Post by bibleman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:18 pm
Judges 15:19 King James Version
But God clave an hollow place THAT WAS IN THE JAW, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived: wherefore he called the name thereof Enhakkore, which is in Lehi unto this day.

Judges 15:19 New King James Version
So God split the hollow place THAT IS IN LEHI, and water came out, and he drank; and his spirit returned, and he revived. Therefore he called its name En Hakkore, which is in Lehi to this day.

On this verse, Dake notes: "What an outstanding miracle -- a hollow place made in the jawbone of an ass, with water coming out by invisible power! (Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.)

Every major translation that I have checked (NKJV, AMP, ASV, CSB, ESV, HSCB, NAB, NASB ('77 & '95), NIV ('84 and '11), NLT, NRSV, RSV, & YLT) agrees that the hollow place was at Lehi and not in the jaw.

How does the Dake NKJV Annotated Reference Bible handle this verse?
The Dake NKJV has the exact same notes as the KJV through out no changes were made.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks, Leon. Image

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 am

I like the American Standard Version of 1901 a lot.

" But God clave the hollow place that is in Lehi (1 Or,the jawbone)
and there came water thereout;and when he had drunk ,his spirit came again,and he revived:wherefore the name (2 Or,he called the name thereof) was called En-hakkore (3 That is the spring of him that called)which is in Lehi unto this day."

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:49 pm

branham1965 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 am

and there came water thereout;and when he had drunk ,his spirit came again,and he revived:wherefore the name (2 Or,he called the name thereof) was called En-hakkore (3 That is the spring of him that called)which is in Lehi unto this day."
So, which do you think the water came out of? The spring at Lehi? Or, right out of the jawbone?

Ironman

Post by Ironman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:49 pm
branham1965 wrote:

So, which do you think the water came out of? The spring at Lehi? Or, right out of the jawbone?
This is oneof the most outstanding miracles in the Bible. A hollow place made in the jawbone of an ass and water coming out of the bone by invisible power. This could be seen by the natural eyes and used by man.
Dake Bible note "K" Judges 15:v 19. Page 476.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ironman

Post by Ironman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Ironman wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 pm
branham1965 wrote:

Jdg 15:19 But God clave an hollow place that was in the jaw, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived: wherefore he called the name thereof Enhakkore, which is in Lehi unto this day.
This is oneof the most outstanding miracles in the Bible. A hollow place made in the jawbone of an ass and water coming out of the bone by invisible power. This could be seen by the natural eyes and used by man.
Dake Bible note "K" Judges 15:v 19. Page 476.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

luchnia
With the Same Measure that Ye Mete Withal It Shall Be Measured to You Again

Post by luchnia » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 am

branham1965 wrote:

Nothing in the text says that the bone produced the water, merely that water came out of it because God clave the hollow or opening in the jawbone. Even that it was a jawbone cannot be proved from the text. Some jawbones are huge, but don't carry large pockets to hold much water. It may have been the jawbone was in the dry ground and God made a socket within it that would hold the water to drink so the man would not die.

There may have been a reason that he did not cup his hands to drink the water such as being near death or dying. It seems he was near death because his spirit came again and he revived which could have been the reason he could not use his hands. This to me seems as if God gave him the water from the jawbone to drink and revive him. Notice the man's prayer was not to die of thirst at the hands of the uncircumcised.

Could God produce water from a jawbone? Absolutely, yet this verse does not indicate that is what happened. What I find about miraculous events is that they are super natural and not super unnatural. This helps to understand the miracles of God. If you take the natural and deliver it in a super natural way to me this is how God works in the miraculous.

It appears to have been a fountain there that remained after this event. The idea that the jawbone continued to produce water is possible, but doubtful that is what is meant here. What is probably meant is that the fountain sprang forth and continued to produce water.

It is nothing short of a miracle to produce water from dry ground and this is probably what is meant here, no matter if a jawbone was used, or not. It could also be that jawbone was big enough and God hollowed it out that it served as a container as the water came forth from the ground, much like a repository for a fountain that men can drink from.

At any rate, all we can do is speculate what actually happened.

Word up!

Ironman

Post by Ironman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:19 pm

luchnia wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 am
branham1965 wrote:

Nothing in the text says that the bone produced the water, merely that water came out of it because God clave the hollow or opening in the jawbone. Even that it was a jawbone cannot be proved from the text. Some jawbones are huge, but don't carry large pockets to hold much water. It may have been the jawbone was in the dry ground and God made a socket within it that would hold the water to drink so the man would not die.

There may have been a reason that he did not cup his hands to drink the water such as being near death or dying. It seems he was near death because his spirit came again and he revived which could have been the reason he could not use his hands. This to me seems as if God gave him the water from the jawbone to drink and revive him. Notice the man's prayer was not to die of thirst at the hands of the uncircumcised.

Could God produce water from a jawbone? Absolutely, yet this verse does not indicate that is what happened. What I find about miraculous events is that they are super natural and not super unnatural. This helps to understand the miracles of God. If you take the natural and deliver it in a super natural way to me this is how God works in the miraculous.

It appears to have been a fountain there that remained after this event. The idea that the jawbone continued to produce water is possible, but doubtful that is what is meant here. What is probably meant is that the fountain sprang forth and continued to produce water.

It is nothing short of a miracle to produce water from dry ground and this is probably what is meant here, no matter if a jawbone was used, or not. It could also be that jawbone was big enough and God hollowed it out that it served as a container as the water came forth from the ground, much like a repository for a fountain that men can drink from.

At any rate, all we can do is speculate what actually happened.
I don't think anyone thinks the jaw bone produced the water, God did that as He did when He gave Israel water from the rock.

luchnia
With the Same Measure that Ye Mete Withal It Shall Be Measured to You Again

Post by luchnia » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:02 am

Ironman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:19 pm
I don't think anyone thinks the jaw bone produced the water, God did that as He did when He gave Israel water from the rock.
I tend to agree with your view on this, yet I think some do believe the jaw bone produced the water. Interesting that Dake reaches out there on some things like this and makes assumptions as if in a factual manner.

Certainly it could be true that the jaw bone produced the water and would not be above God, but nothing from the Scripture really proves that theory. Sometimes I find things like this a stretch without supporting scripture. Either way, it is there for our understanding and growth.

Word up!