Dake Bible Discussion BoardBible Dictionaries

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Bible Dictionaries

Post by macca »

I came into possession of a Bible dictionary by a well known group and started to check it out.

What I found was a lot of extra-biblical references mingled among bible books and words.

Also, I did not find anything that added to my faith, but rather, what I found was that my faith was attacked
by mind numbing gibberish that diluted the Word of God.

Thank God for God's Plan For Man and other faith building works put out by Godly man and women that feed our spirits
and get us closer to our Father.

macca

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Bible Dictionaries

Post by branham1965 »

I am curious macca who wrote it??

Some Bible Dictionaries i have are well done.

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Post by macca »

Eerdmans bible dictionary.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I do not believe i ever used that one. +ummm
macca wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:45 am
Eerdmans bible dictionary.

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

macca wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 am
I came into possession of a Bible dictionary by a well known group and started to check it out.

What I found was a lot of extra-biblical references mingled among bible books and words.

Also, I did not find anything that added to my faith, but rather, what I found was that my faith was attacked
by mind numbing gibberish that diluted the Word of God.

Thank God for God's Plan For Man and other faith building works put out by Godly man and women that feed our spirits
and get us closer to our Father.

macca
Given the little information that you provided it is difficult to understand your objection. The Bible is not a dictionary and many extra-biblical sources are used to define/understand/determine the meaning of the words found within the covers of the Bible. If anything that should add to your faith by increasing the knowledge that scripture is true and the meaning is not simply "made up" because it "fits" into a particular theological perspective.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

I have a Smiths Bible Dictionary and one by Dr.Unger.

These are very nice tools.

With new "study bibles" ie commentaries coming out every day people may use these less.