Dake Bible Discussion BoardWho is E W Bullinger

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
No Plague Shall Come Nigh Them that Make the Lord Their Habitation

Who is E W Bullinger

Post by Grandfather »

In the thread on Paul, Bibleman made the following statement.
(this is a part of his statement, but for the purpose of this thread I do not believe anything is lost by removing in from the complete context. If someone believes it needs more context, please provide it.)

bibleman wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 am
.... EW Bullinger one of the greatest Hebrew and Greek scholars the world has known...
I have some questions.
1) Who is E W Bullinger.. Wikipedia, which I do not count as an academic source, list many things about him and not all of them flattering. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._W._Bullinger) One of the more controversal that I saw was: Bullinger held that the Church, which the Apostle Paul revealed as the Body of Christ, began after the end of Acts, and was not revealed until the Prison Epistles of the Apostle Paul. (and you can view the sources cited for this information on Wikipedia) And while I will not hold him fully responsible for the actions and beliefs of his followers one has to question why many of his followers hold to annihilationism.

2) What scholars support the claim that Bullinger is one of the greatest Hebrew and Greek scholars the world has know? I have not see that statement made, much less supported by those with academic standing in the field of the Hebrew or Greek languages.

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Who is E W Bullinger

Post by luchnia »

I cannot recall if I have read anything written by E. W. Bullinger. I have heard the name a number of times and over the last 40+ years I have read upwards of 300 books, so I am sure I have seen something by him. More than likely in my pea brain it is long forgotten. I do know Bullinger is said to be renown in many circles.

To me, Bullinger, like many others may have a lot of gold nuggets that one can add to their learning and simply throw the chaff away, yet those gold nuggets never should overshadow what the scriptures indicate. I have known a couple of men with great biblical knowledge and in each case you could tell that they missed it because of their knowledge. They overshadowed simple truths. It was as if they went right over the knowledge of the truth that was needed to understand what was being intended.

This by no means is meant to discredit anyone that works diligently studying God's word. I have great admiration for those that work hard to learn God's word. I like to ask this question. What makes a scholar "great" in Hebrew and Greek? Is it because of long hours of study and research and dissection of each word then carefully parsing the sentences out?

I heard a man once say that the Bible is so simple that it takes men to confuse it.

Word up!

macca
He that will Love Life, and See Good Days, Let Him Refrain His Lips from Guile

Post by macca »

Get a 'Companion Bible' and study his notes then you can have an honest opinion of the man.

luchnia
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by luchnia »

macca wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:01 am
Get a 'Companion Bible' and study his notes then you can have an honest opinion of the man.
I agree and that makes good sense. I may have one of those around here, but if I don't, I don't plan to add another bible to my list at this time. Hard to keep up with what I have right now.

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

There are a few sites, online, that share the appendices to the Companion Bible.

I would recommend starting with those, if you aren't sure about getting a Companion Bible, right away.

Here are two sites that share the appendices in slightly differing format:

http://www.therain.org/appendixes/

https://levendwater.org/companion/index_companion.html

I enjoy looking at the appendices, from time to time. Especially, to compare with Dake's writings. Dake utilized Bullinger's works, even if he did not always come to the same conclusions.

Genesis 6:8 New King James Version
... Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Have you found grace in the eyes of the Lord?
Are You a Good Person?
Save Yourself Some Pain
Hell's Best Kept Secret
True & False Conversion
School of Biblical Evangelism

macca

Post by macca »

Good one Roger :angel:

Grandfather
No Plague Shall Come Nigh Them that Make the Lord Their Habitation

Post by Grandfather »

Does it give anyone cause for concern that if Bullinger held to these unorthodox beliefs that he may have allowed those beliefs to influence everything he did? The scriptures say a little leaven leavens the whole loaf. Does this mean that a little unorthodox belief contaminates all his beliefs?

macca

Post by macca »

Grandfather wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 pm
Does it give anyone cause for concern that if Bullinger held to these unorthodox beliefs that he may have allowed those beliefs to influence everything he did? The scriptures say a little leaven leavens the whole loaf. Does this mean that a little unorthodox belief contaminates all his beliefs?

That statement applies to all of us Grandfather.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

Grandfather wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 pm
If nothing else, his "unorthodox beliefs" showed they were not of God.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top »

macca wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 pm
That statement applies to all of us Grandfather.
It doesn't apply to those of us who are "unleavened".