Dake Bible Discussion BoardDO YOU believe the NICENE CREED

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: DO YOU believe the NICENE CREED ???

Post by Grandfather »

Ironman wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:00 pm
So, I look silly because I don't agree with parts of the creed? Where is it mentioned in Scripture, chapter and verse please?
Again you show your ignorance of what creeds are. Notice I did not say you are ignorant, I truly doubt that you are. First you call them prayers now you're asking for chapter and verse. Read this.... http://www.equip.org/perspectives/creed ... he-creeds/

Ironman wrote:
This was one of the first things we were taught and also were forced to say this every day at school, then we were forced to say the rosary every day, then we were flogged with a cane if we got any catechism questions wrong. Then we were forced to go to confession every week and mass during school hours. It was a living hell.I know of no other church that says this, none that I have been in.
Indeed those are issues with the Roman Catholic church. I encourage you to learn the difference between Roman Catholic and catholic with a lower case c. They are not the same thing, Never have been, so quit confusing the two.

Ironman wrote:
I pray to the Father through Jesus alone face to face.
I dont need to recite the Nicene Creed or any other creed to talk to God. I pray as Jesus instructed we should pray.
No one said anything about needing to recite the Nicene Creed or any other creed to talk to God. The creeds are not a "key" or a passageway to prayer. Read the link above on the importance and history of creeds. Heck, you might learn something.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Grandfather wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:07 pm
Ironman wrote:
So, I look silly because I don't agree with parts of the creed? Where is it mentioned in Scripture, chapter and verse please?
Again you show your ignorance of what creeds are. Notice I did not say you are ignorant, I truly doubt that you are. First you call them prayers now you're asking for chapter and verse. Read this.... http://www.equip.org/perspectives/creed ... he-creeds/

Ironman wrote:
This was one of the first things we were taught and also were forced to say this every day at school, then we were forced to say the rosary every day, then we were flogged with a cane if we got any catechism questions wrong. Then we were forced to go to confession every week and mass during school hours. It was a living hell.I know of no other church that says this, none that I have been in.
Indeed those are issues with the Roman Catholic church. I encourage you to learn the difference between Roman Catholic and catholic with a lower case c. They are not the same thing, Never have been, so quit confusing the two.

Ironman wrote:
I pray to the Father through Jesus alone face to face.
I dont need to recite the Nicene Creed or any other creed to talk to God. I pray as Jesus instructed we should pray.
No one said anything about needing to recite the Nicene Creed or any other creed to talk to God. The creeds are not a "key" or a passageway to prayer. Read the link above on the importance and history of creeds. Heck, you might learn something.
Heck, you dont say? And who made you the bearer of all wisdom and knowledge?

I dont give a flying kahuna about creeds, never have and never will. Creeds are not inspired, not mentioned in the New Testament but to know Scripture is a divine imperative.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Ironman wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Heck, you dont say? And who made you the bearer of all wisdom and knowledge?

I dont give a flying kahuna about creeds, never have and never will. Creeds are not inspired, not mentioned in the New Testament but to know Scripture is a divine imperative.
The bearer of all wisdom? Hardly. Knowing church history? Kind of.

Pause for a minute and reflect. This creed was written in 325. It was written to respond to the heresy that was coming to the church. But now ask yourself why it was written, and recited among the churches.

325 AD, how many BIBLES were in print? Were there more churches or Bibles? Creeds are nothing more than a statement of faith written in a form that can be easily remembered and recited.

Does your church have a statement of faith? Most likely. Are statements of faith mentioned in the Bible? No. But can statements of faith be supported through scripture? Yes. And so can orthodox creeds.

You see, you have the advantage of having a Bible and most likely you have several of them. In 325 Bibles were a luxury they did not have.

scottae316
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by scottae316 »

Ironman wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:59 pm
branham1965 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:54 pm
catholic...universal church mate. :scatter:

i know your prayers reach the Lord.you are the best man i know...and i like macca 2

Ironman wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:46 pm
branham1965 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm
IN 325 A.D. the Nicene Creed was written.

Do you believe in it?? In any or all of it??

Its a Catholic prayer. Scrub this;

"We believe in one holy catholic
and apostolic Church."

I pray to the Father through Jesus in a personal way, face to face, in private.
Yes Billy, universal church, Satans church.
Actually the term “universal” mean the entire world wide Church. Although the RCC came out of the universal church, claims to be the one true universal church, we all know that is wrong. It is not a prayer, but a statement of belief or faith, a summary. There is only one true Church, Christ’s Church, the Body of Christ (the church) is made holy by Christ being crucified, died, buried, and (PTL) resurrected. Catholic, is another word for “universal” referring to the church throughout the world. Apostolic refers to the faith taught and passed on by Jesus’ disciples to us. Church in the true sense is the place believers gather and is an identity of the followers of Jesus. The purpose of statements like the Apostle’s Creed is to provide a concise statement of faith for believers. I personally have no issues with what is called the “Apostles Creed”, it is an accurate concise summary of fundamental Christian beliefs.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

scottae316 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:58 pm
Actually the term “universal” mean the entire world wide Church. Although the RCC came out of the universal church, claims to be the one true universal church, we all know that is wrong. It is not a prayer, but a statement of belief or faith, a summary. There is only one true Church, Christ’s Church, the Body of Christ (the church) is made holy by Christ being crucified, died, buried, and (PTL) resurrected. Catholic, is another word for “universal” referring to the church throughout the world. Apostolic refers to the faith taught and passed on by Jesus’ disciples to us. Church in the true sense is the place believers gather and is an identity of the followers of Jesus. The purpose of statements like the Apostle’s Creed is to provide a concise statement of faith for believers. I personally have no issues with what is called the “Apostles Creed”, it is an accurate concise summary of fundamental Christian beliefs.
One more point that is often overlooked. Look when the major creeds were written. Now, ask yourself what was noticeably absent when they were written. ANSWER --- BIBLES.

We have Bibles all over the place. Not a luxury they had. Creeds were the grounding statements of faith. Creeds were chatted, sung and easily memorized. Recite your church's statement of faith from memory? I venture to guess you can't do it. Now, can you cite one of the creeds? Most likely. Now compare the creed with the statement of faith and you will see you've covered the main points and possibly all of the points.

Creeds are not prayers, they are not sermons and while they are not scripture the principle declarations found in them can be found in scripture.

Scottae does an excellent job of addressing some of the misconceptions about creeds, especially those surrounding the use of "catholic" and "apostolic"

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

Grandfather wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 pm
scottae316 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:58 pm
One more point that is often overlooked. Look when the major creeds were written. Now, ask yourself what was noticeably absent when they were written. ANSWER --- BIBLES.

We have Bibles all over the place. Not a luxury they had. Creeds were the grounding statements of faith. Creeds were chatted, sung and easily memorized. Recite your church's statement of faith from memory? I venture to guess you can't do it. Now, can you cite one of the creeds? Most likely. Now compare the creed with the statement of faith and you will see you've covered the main points and possibly all of the points.

Creeds are not prayers, they are not sermons and while they are not scripture the principle declarations found in them can be found in scripture.

Scottae does an excellent job of addressing some of the misconceptions about creeds, especially those surrounding the use of "catholic" and "apostolic"
Good post. I can see these views. Personally, I don't care much for the creeds. Then again, as stated we have the recorded word of God now so that makes them basically mute for me.

I don't necessarily see any problem with them, except that in some cases creeds with errors can become more to people than God's word and when that happens it becomes a problem, but then again the problem exist even without the creed as in the case with the RC church.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I said catholic means universal.

Scott said i better than i did.
branham1965 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:54 pm
catholic...universal church mate. :scatter:

Ironman wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:46 pm
branham1965 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm
IN 325 A.D. the Nicene Creed was written.

Do you believe in it?? In any or all of it??

Its a Catholic prayer. Scrub this;

"We believe in one holy catholic
and apostolic Church."

I pray to the Father through Jesus in a personal way, face to face, in private.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Re: DO YOU believe the NICENE CREED

Post by Ironman »

I don't believe the catholic creed, I pray this;

Our Father, In Jesus Holy Name, please let us love one another, let us work together to build Your Kingdom, let us build a new hope that will forge relationships that cut across all denominations and heal the pain of our divisions. Let us be one in You as You are One in us.
In the Holy Name of Jesus, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, we praise Your Mighty Name and pray, and we embrace one another in Your Love.
Holy Father, thank you for your Holy Word, thank you sending Jesus, thank you for sending the Holy Spirit, thank you for forgiving me all of my sins, thank you for your protection from earthquakes, savage storms, large hail, floods, famines, sickness, fire, covid 19 and criminals. I love and praise you Holy Father, I worship you and thank you, in Jesus Holy Name, Amen

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Forget all that Roman Catholic blabber.
The Holy Word of God tells us what to believe.

Romans 10, verse 9, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

Ironman wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:55 pm
Forget all that Roman Catholic blabber.
The Holy Word of God tells us what to believe.

Romans 10, verse 9, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Unfortunately, some have taken that verse as the end of their search for God.
It is like..."You have a car, so you can use the freeway."
But, does your car have a battery in it?
Do you have insurance, air in the tires, oil?
Keys?
Men's behavior will illustrate if they actually "believe", or not.