Dake Bible Discussion BoardIs it a sin to call a Preacher Reverend

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Is it a sin to call a Preacher Reverend

Post by branham1965 »

Some folks do not like this term.

Others say it is even a sin to call a man or woman of God -Reverend or Doctor or any title.

What do you think???

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: Is it a sin to call a Preacher Reverend???

Post by Grandfather »

branham1965 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Others say it is even a sin to call a man or woman of God -Reverend or Doctor or any title.

What do you think???
Many people confuse person conviction with sin. Paul references this when he talks of eating meat sacrificed to idols. But personal convictions, while they may be “sin” for some are not always sin for all. Personally I don’t have a problem with giving people titles that they have earned. I believe it honors them, their work and dedication in a good way. A title does not make a person better, more holy, more anything. I often struggle with those that demand they be addressed with the title of Reverend. IMHO if one must demand that title, then they are not humble enough to bear that title.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

branham1965 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 pm

What do you think???
Not sure it has anything to do with sin, but in my opinion it certainly should not be practiced. I have even wondered why a man claiming to be a saint would accept such a term. Can you imagine someone calling Paul "reverend"? He would probably be tearing his shirt off! :shocked!:

Word up!

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

Words have meaning. That meaning is best understood in the context of culture and time. For instance, when someone tells us they scanned over the material, we assume they turned a couple of pages, read a few highlights and moved on. However, there was a time that if someone said they scanned the document it meant they read it completely and spent the time to comprehend it. It is called ETYMOLOGY.

I would venture a quick guess that if you studied the word "reverend" in Psalm 111:9 you will discover the primary root is something akin to FEAR, but was often used to mean REVERE or to hold in high respect.

Now, if you studied the word/title "Reverend" as used in connection with a person, that usage, that meaning is entirely different.

The problems come when someone does not understand the simple differences and forces the two words that are spelled the same to have the same meaning because they have the same spelling. Sorry, it does not work that way. Unless you have an agenda and you need it to.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

I really don't care for it myself.

In fact I discourage people from using the term describe me.

I feel like Pastors are on the same ground at the foot of the cross with everyone else.

So why call one group Reverend and not the other?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

bibleman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:18 pm
I really don't care for it myself.

In fact I discourage people from using the term describe me.

I feel like Pastors are on the same ground at the foot of the cross with everyone else.

So why call one group Reverend and not the other?
Great post! What was it Paul said, something along the lines of I am a just a man. He knew when the attention did not belong to him. If we could only be as humble and yet contain great courage. It is all about balance and moderation.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Grandfather,

All i mean is we should respect those in Ministry.

I expressed to you i respect you for working on the Mission field.

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

branham1965 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 pm
Grandfather,

All i mean is we should respect those in Ministry.

I expressed to you i respect you for working on the Mission field.
I think this is painting with a rather broad brush or maybe I am thinking too broadly on this statement. You used a capital M so I am guessing you had a different intent behind it. Would an example of showing respect be respecting the ministry of an RCC priest?

When I see ministry I think of all that minister to others. There are many that minister yet are in false doctrines to the hilt such as those in the JWs and RCC (RCC was simply a group that quickly came to mind). I guess we can still respect them for their benevolence yet show them the way to the Lord.

Word up!

scottae316
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by scottae316 »

When I was a UM pastor, I was asked what “title” or what I wanted to be called. My answer reflects my thoughts, either “pastor” or Scott, please not ‘reverend’ and for the most part it was honored”. To me “reverend” implies an elevated or superior position or accomplishment, in the faith I was neither. There were several older, wiser, and more mature saints than me in the church. However, if a clergy person wants to be addressed as “reverend” I would honor that without hesitation. Now, the Bible school I was attending you first were licensed, then with an additional year of school and more requirements you were ordained as a minister and given the title “Reverend”. This was to show you were an ordained minister. I get it, and in formal circumstances I would be willing to allow it. In personal interactions, “Scott, pastor, or Pastor Scott” would be my personal preference.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

scottae316 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 am
When I was a UM pastor, I was asked what “title” or what I wanted to be called. My answer reflects my thoughts, either “pastor” or Scott, please not ‘reverend’ and for the most part it was honored”. To me “reverend” implies an elevated or superior position or accomplishment, in the faith I was neither. There were several older, wiser, and more mature saints than me in the church. However, if a clergy person wants to be addressed as “reverend” I would honor that without hesitation. Now, the Bible school I was attending you first were licensed, then with an additional year of school and more requirements you were ordained as a minister and given the title “Reverend”. This was to show you were an ordained minister. I get it, and in formal circumstances I would be willing to allow it. In personal interactions, “Scott, pastor, or Pastor Scott” would be my personal preference.
Same here! :angel:

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note